Introducing Octatrack MKII

I guess that’s mainly a migration to their new hardware standard.
Maybe it’s easier for them to use the same buttons as the DT.

Anyway, the only bad point about it is the CompactFlash card which are hard to find nowadays…

1 Like

Yeah you’re probably right. Most boxes seem to settle at £1049. This price would be fine.

Does anyone know if the effects are getting an overhaul?

og Octatrack prerelease was shown with that scheme

4 Likes

Nope, I had both and send the Live back… aside from the bugs there are little ‘performance’ aspects to it as of yet except maybe the x/y touch screen control.

Personally I think nothing feels really hands-on on the MPC and immediacy is not it’s strong point compared to the Octatrack and I haven’t even started about the quality of the currently included effects (2017) which are even worse compared to the Octatrack (2011) especially the compressor.

Anyway, I probably should have said it was my personal opinion :wink:

1 Like

pretty sure that’s black and the light makes it look grey. that’s the old MD encoders I think.

no. There’s a bunch of more pics… it exists in gray IRL

So…

should we get the Octatrack Mk II Feature Request Thread going then ??

4 Likes

No, they really aren’t. They’re much more robust and faster than SD too.

5 Likes

The party line is ‘Same OS’. So as they previously stated that the OT OS would be getting nothing but bug fixes in the future, then they’d have to go back on their word for that.

I have a feeling Elektron regard the Octatrack as ‘complete’.

2 Likes

I’m sorry Elektron, I really don’t understand how on earth you could not implement Overbridge on the Octatrack MK-II.

All (sequencer-based) Elektron devices are one of a kind in their workflow due to parameter locking. And for live performers that’s enough. But I for one, and I’m definitely not alone in that, have been waiting and hoping and shouting for years for Elektron to implement Overbridge on the OT to fully integrate it into a DAW / studio workflow.

An Overbridge enabled OT can become the only hardware device attached to my DAW. You’d have “the Elektron way” of composing using parameter locks, and you’d have “the DAW way” for polishing / arranging.

Why not implement Overbridge on an Octatrack MK-ii? Are you guys affraid you wouldn’t sell any other gear because that functionality would make all other gear obsolete?

And can you you at least tell us if the OT mk-ii at least has a USB audio interface built in?

I was thinking the exact same thing. I was on the fence between octatrack and mpc live and just receive the mpc live unit and the octatrack mk ii notice on the same day.

1 Like

Hah you’re right !

Oh, didn’t know that. My bad.
Good to know anyway!

and you cant undo that by pressing it again?

There are some interesting buttons/options on the MKII panel.

AED?
Part Edit?
I wonder if the MK2 will have any subtle changes to the sound?

As a former software engineer, I can’t help but wonder if the lack of new software features is because the people who did all the development on the original OT have moved on and nobody at Elektron understands the original code base any more, so they’d really need to start over from the ground up to add anything significant…

6 Likes

I think everyone should take a moment to thank Juno for sparing us some blurry video with girls in grey leotards spinning around like high-res encoders titled ‘Just Wait and See’ or something.

Much appreciated, Juno.

11 Likes

It looks nicer for sure, but generally I’m totally unimpressed unless the sequencer gets some big updates. I’m hoping they are going to elaborate on what more it’s got to offer in the pipeline otherwise they ain’t getting my money.

1 Like

They released a bugfix firmware not too too long ago so I don’t think that would be the reason

Current OG OT owners should give the new MkII owners a head start by opening up a MkII bugs topic and listing the current OT bugs there. Maybe they’ll get fixed this time.

14 Likes