Introducing Model:Samples

Can it sustain a note or sample. Or just restricted to shorter notes.Edit. Ah see it can be set to infinity. This looks so good and so useful.

I hope the orders ship soon. I think Iā€™m in the minority in that Iā€™m as excited for this as I was for the other elektron boxes.

3 Likes

BatteryBridge!

FYI with the OB driver you can now just browse the web feeding your browser audio live through to the DT via USBā€¦ It is pretty crazy stuff. I was just watching youtube the other night with my headphones plugged in to the DT on my desk. Anything in a video that was interesting, just pause, arm DT for REC, play on videoā€¦ BAM. Sample in the DT. Rinse and repeat. Got some great samples over the evening. Armchair sampling :smile:

10 Likes

I plan on doing exactly this with the M:S and my E2s. Iā€™m very glad Elektron added the polarity setting to account for the two different 1/8 MIDI ā€œstandardsā€.

4 Likes

I wonder how much more it would have cost to include an audio input of some sort for mixing in an external audio source because this is literally the one thing keeping me from buying this.

Iā€™m not sure how design choices are made at Elektron, but I would have been adamant about including at least an 1/8 inch stereo input if I were part of the design team. Especially, considering how the M:S excels at sequencing internal samples and external synths simultaneously. A nice, fast, convenient way to mix the audio from an external synth with the internal samples makes too much sense.

Iā€™m guessing the main reason itā€™s not there is to avoid having to deal with relentless requests to implement sampling. I can understand the M:S not being able to, and never being able to sample from a design perspective. But the lack of an audio input for mixing other sound sources (like the Roland Boutiques and Yamaha Refaces have), seems like a poor choice.

3 Likes

I have a small mixer and an OT, so I the MS not having audio in isnā€™t a problem, but I get why it could be important to some.
Itā€™s actually one reason why Iā€™m reconsidering the Digitone as an Octatrack sidecar vs the MS. Very different instrument, but now itā€™s got me wondering. :thinking:

3 Likes

Iā€™m torn on the no input thing as well. I figure if I purchase the M:S , I will just run it through my Machinedrumā€™s inputs and have them midi synced.

1 Like

Iā€™d go as far as to say itā€™s a gross omission. This is a machine intended to be used on the go (hence the battery option), and yet I canā€™t just mix in the stuff I sequence via Midi, e.g., on my IPhone or IPad?! Honestly, I donā€™t get it and it makes the whole package a lot less appealing to me.

7 Likes

thereā€™s a few ommisions that turn me off the ms at this price point.
sample locks.
battery included in price.
sampling.
audio in.

I think if the battery had been included in the price I might have gone for it. tho lack of sample locks is still a biggie for me.

and tbh I think every sample machine should have timstreching / warping in this day and age, but thatā€™s another matter entirely.

7 Likes

Feeling the same, itā€™s very appealing but the omissions are too much

3 Likes

There are plenty of portable mixers in the market (Roland Go, Volca Mix, Bastl Dudeā€¦)

What I miss the most is the lack of midi p-locksā€¦

The Volca Mix and Dude are both mono only, and seriously affect the audio quality. Maybe the Roland, but having to deal with hooking both up just to mix a little sequenced synth with whatā€™s playing from the M:S sounds like too much of a hassle to me.

The additional cost for a cheap mixer makes the Digitakt seem like a much better choice.

The Go:Mixer is not really a proper mixer, itā€™s just a way to get audio into your phone.

Mackie 402VLZ4 is much better and significantly cheaper than a Volca Mix. And not that much bigger. And the Mackie Mix5 is half the price again.

I am always in favour of audio in though, especially when the device has effects and extra-especially when it has a compressor.

1 Like

Volca mix is 2x mono, 1xstereo.

After having the time to read the M:S manual thoroughly, I have to say that I am glad to have the DT.

There isnt much overlap and they stripped it down heavily. For my taste even a little bit too much for the price that it sells for.

Knob-per-function for the sake of losing functions isnt worth to me, so the only unique selling points are the portability and the velocity sensitive pads. But 450ā‚¬ is steep.
Hoping to snag one on the used market some time though :wink:

Doesnā€™t it have sound locks? When Digitakt came out, they made the distinction between samples and sounds (sounds being samples + knob parameters). I could have sworn that I read that the M:S has sound locks (presumably from the sound pool), which is similar to sample locks, and maybe even more useful. I havenā€™t re-checked the manual, but Iā€™m sure I saw that somewhere.

from my understanding it doesnā€™t have sound locks.
you can change the track sample but not per step.

That hyped knob per function feature could be added to the gear by using a cheap midi controller.