Introducing Model:Samples

You’re being a bit disingenuous here.

People here who are reeling against the MS aren’t “looking down on people who use less expensive gear,” they just don’t think MS is for them and wonder why it does what it does at its price point. It strikes some users as a bit redundant when you could just buy a used DT for $200 more. Save some bucks for a few months and you get a thing that does it better.

Nobody here cares if you’re using a Volca FM or a Boog or whatever it may be. And even MS is fine for the market it’s trying to capture, but the people here are (generally speaking) not that market–that’s why we’re here.

I think all of us want Elektron to succeed in any way possible. We want Elektron to make money–otherwise we wouldn’t be on this forum talking about their products so extensively :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I think you’re right. I love cheap gear (and expensive gear), but it has to bring something interesting to the table to be worth buying.

Lots of people are saying this is a good product for beginners, but I wouldn’t agree. I’ve been buying gear for the better part of two decades and this strikes me as something that people will outgrow too quickly, particularly considering the price.

The Digitakt really is the sweet spot for simplicity, depth, uniqueness, and design. It’s the kind of box that will grow with people as they use it and I think that’s the kind of box beginners should be looking at.

I think if people are looking for something more basic or to get their kids then they should probably look at the Volca line or maybe the latest PO series. Those are cheap, but have some really nice features and sounds that even grizzled veterans can appreciate. Just my 2-cents.

5 Likes

I think after some new big boxes things will balance out. At the moment these smaller boxes are so cautious about overlap that they’re becoming questionable value/depth and feeling like ‘elektron by numbers’. DT/MS both suffering from ‘can’t have too much of their bigger siblings inside it’. So no timestrech, no slicing, no sampling inputs and so on.

An updated top tier sampler (OT with polyphonic tracks, better fx, more ram, legit granular, separate outs/OB etc) would mean some more of those features could trickle down while still maintaining a clear pricing/features heirarchy. At the moment it’s almost like new ideas are trickling UP… Elektron will be in a better, less restricted/tangled position when new big boxes allow for more staple features and new ideas to trickle DOWN…

5 Likes

immediacy?

A TR808 is much simpler than a MS …still ppl. want it so much that it has been cloned and copied in many ways. And even the MS is a Copy of it, Just gar more advanced. Why would ppl. outgrow of it then? Its a Tool for a certain Task. For some this might be good enough.

2 Likes

Did the gear we have suddenly just get ungood?
I mean, I think my DT, MD, MM and OT still crush.
Do i need yet another…i dont think i do.

Why moan if youve got sick gear to werk with already.

:confused:

6 Likes

Yeah agreed. No harm in anything Elektron are doing. If people want this it’ll sell. If they don’t then more boxes will appear. And so much rad gear available at this point in time that it doesn’t matter either way.

Yes, in a way, but it is an open system with separate outputs, thats why is so interesting, 808 plus mixer with fx, and sadernly it has manny faces. plus basic sound is incredible.
M:S looks more advanced in sequencer area, and maybe it is, but it is closed system, this is it, what you see is what you get, no surprises.
Edit
You can load samples from computer so am also wrong here :slightly_smiling_face:, still, no much you can do with outboard equipment with this one…

1 Like

Kind of. Not ungood but missing newer features. One of the main reasons I jumped from an OT to a DT was OB.

I’m going to go out on a limb and disagree with you here. I recently tried to go back to my DT after a fairly long hiatus and I was surprised at how unnecessarily complex it felt. And I also have been buying/selling and learning gear for a little over 20 years. It didn’t feel immediate, which is what the M:S brings.

I think the M:S would be a great starter machine because it’s straightforward, simple, but capable of quite a lot and of being pushed. @Ess posted a song on Instagram that was excellent and had me raising my eyebrows as to what the device was capable of.

For me what kills the M:S is the price, pure and simple. And that’s without adding in the cost of the battery pack. The M:S should either be at least $75 cheaper, be able to sample, or come with the battery pack. But, i assume Elektron did market research to find the correct price point. I hope they’re right.

7 Likes

Yep. We will have to agree to disagree.

(Although I agree that Simon always makes nice sounding tracks).

1 Like

Brilliant info thanks yourself and Dalton around sample start and end. Basically this means that it is perfectly feasible to create a beat on one track leaving the other 5 free for other duties. On that basis I just ordered one.

No actually I’m not being disingenuous, I’m being kind of a jerk and was implying that any number of Elektron users might get smoked by people on the MS! I could care less of what people think of my set up, it’s just a mixture of things that I like for whatever reason. Personally I didn’t like DT and I sold it after a few months. It’s the assumption that the MS is a starter device or a less capable DT that I think is annoying. I’m saying Im more interested in this MS than the ARmkii or DT at the moment. Not many people get that but it was my point.

4 Likes

Time Go fast !

PNG

ms4

What is his size?

(I know that the midi adapter is provided)

Is the bundle personalized where is it the same as the OT?

Is the protective case included in the box?

Maybe they learned from that teachable moment and the battery is coming soon?

Maybe. But I can’t blame anyone for not trusting them at this point.

2 Likes

In some reviews they mention the battery doubling as a handle ‘like a ghetto blaster’ but I’ve not even seen a rudimentary sketch or info.
Then again I’m not too motivated so maybe the hunters will unearth something.

Just rewatching the sonicstate vid of the device. Mario says it’s gonna have a ‘power handle so you can carry it kinda like a boom box’. So I think it’s going to be a large handle across the top that you can carry it by, but probably not speakers.

1 Like

Oh god it’s gonna be large and hideous isn’t it. Why couldn’t they just put a battery inside the damn thing? I really want to love you, M:S!

1 Like

s-l225

:sweat_smile:

6 Likes