Introducing Model:Samples

It can’t send midi cc, just notes

Well damn! That’s kinda whack. Definitely makes me feel a little differently about it.

Yep, $700 bucks so definitely not an impulse buy. Volca Sample is $260 so yeah…

…if you buy the additional battery pack. Not very immediately enticing. With that argument you also assume that entry level users see an obvious advantage to working away from their computer, with the daw they see their favourite producers and artists using.

Additionally, it isn’t just a choice between a daw controller and the MS - elektron have to compete with other standalone hardware products.
The volcas, the op-z, the novation circuit, electribe, are certainly more visually exciting/attractive/novel. They have found their own ways of encouraging a user to leave their computer screens behind. The Digitakt answered this challenge well, the Model:Samples - not so much. White pepper.

i’m taking what you say seriously so please feel free to return the favour and not condescend to me

you said a “major, very valuable advantage” - i’m questioning whether that alone will appear to be an advantage to lots of entry level users who start out with their laptop, their bedroom and a DAW - the point being that the product of this cost needs more than it has to compete, when it is measured against other hardware options.

Kids can and should learn, i would not underestimate new generations with crippled devices.

4 Likes

Yes, let as start by learning what is midi and what is audio signal

1 Like

Erm having to hook it up to a computer to put sounds in it means its not really stand alone imo. Whats the point in being so portable if you cant sample anything anywhere?

I spent a summer at my mums house once and all i took was an sp404 and about 10 old cassettes

Anyway that’s not the point. Ive never transferred files to a sampler from a computer its sacriledge to me, maybe i just need to grow up

Edit: Its interesting to me that people keep searching for angles to look at this from in order for it to make sense

5 Likes

i never had any kind of instrument. But since I’m going to buy one soon I totally agree. Whats the point of going DAWless/portable, when you need a PC to use the full potential of your gear?

1 Like

It also means you cant interact with other instruments

When building a track with a few machines say you want to use a chord on the MS but you dont have one loaded in… you have to connect to a computer, make a chord, print it and then load it onto the MS instead of just recording one to it from your other gear

2 Likes

Or use sampler :sunglasses: its much more immediate :grin:

1 Like

yes !

Yes

Something most of the hardware enthusiasts don’t understand is that…

… Almost all hardware that exists today is just a specialized computer. You won’t find an Elektron device without a processor, and almost all analog devices today have “digital brains” meaning analog devices are now just computers too, rather than explicitly analog electronic equipment.

What defines a computer? Computation. What do those processors do? Math.

It’s a bit ignorant these days to outright dismiss computers solely in favor of smaller, less capable but more specialized computers. I studied comp. engineering but I absolutely hate working with music on Windows or most DAWs… It’s still necessary, you’ll have a tough time making it in the industry if you haven’t mastered mastering on a DAW at some point.

4 Likes

To me it’s no different than dragging samples and patches on to my circuit. You only need a handful of good sounds to start tweaking and getting ideas going. I’ve got my DT loaded up with samples in the key of C so I can just load them up and start playing.

I totally understand this product isn’t exciting to everyone, but for how I’ve been working lately it seems pretty nice. Itll take all of maybe 5 mins to get all the samples I would need in for hours of building and tweaking.

3 Likes

first of all: you’re right. I would add, that 99% of us already has a way more powerfull CPU in our Pocket. the smartphone. and maybe one day it will replace most of the small devices. but than again there is still something like a gameboy. Its just pure fun to play with. And as long as your target is not to make “the perfect song” the small playfull device is way more fun than an PC/DAW setup.

1 Like

If it can perform it essential functions without a computer it’s standalone to me, honestly.

And sure, it may not be able to sample anything anywhere, but it can be loaded up with sounds to create with anywhere. 1gb is quite a lot for one shot samples, and with this device you can still get some great P-locks g madness happening.

And nah you don’t need to grow up. You’ve simply got certain qualifications that this box doesn’t provide. For me though, it’s very tempting. I used to never use samples from anywhere other than drums, but I figure why limit myself like that? Sometimes it’s nice to just have sounds ready to go and start jamming.

These days you’d use your iPhone to get sounds onto your box instead. I’d love to have seen sampling inputs, but that’s probably how a lot of people will end up using it.

2 Likes

therein lies the beauty of electronic music - it doesnt matter. it’s electronic, and you can make it any way you want to. in fact, you could argue using a mouse and keyboard is actually a more purest form, using a tracker program or your DAW or whatever. maybe they should have called it Model: Groove, then people would be able to take it at face value more easily. still, who’s to say the battery pack wont provide inputs? and if it did have inputs, then the DT linch mob would surely be crying blue murder. you load it with samples and go on holiday. dont leave home without your chords!

5 Likes

:bulb: It’s just a matter of hours before this is done ultra mobile with the OP-Z MIDI/CV connection module.

1 Like