Introducing Model:Samples

does seem highly focused. you can waste a lot of time mucking around in the settings of other Elektron boxes. I think we could all agree the box looks to be heaps of fun, and people will buy it for that. i’d buy one if I didn’t have a DT. and to be honest if you really needed to reveal all your controls you can do that easily with a knob midi controller like the Midi Fighter Twister. I think it will actually become a bit of cult item in certain circles. Or a take anywhere thing you bash and throw around and spill tea on and it’ll still make beats. Just saw in Australia it’s $700. Second hand DT’s go for the same. Still, I’m happy with my DT. It does more of the settingsie things I need for certain projects.

2 Likes

An octatrack sized box with usb host, OLED Overbridge display, 8track tape, teenage engineering style punch in effects and the Elektron sequencer might just make me sell my computer haha

2 Likes

Model:Kraftwerk

With three Sounds:

Boing, Boom, Chak!

10 Likes

Four surely? You forgot about Ping!

3 Likes

I think I’ll pick this up for super quick beat making and jamming a la arturia drumbrute impact.

It’s less than $100 more in Canada and has per track filter and distortion and obviously allows you to save pitch and other parameter info in each pattern. Making it waay more useful.

Reminds me of my long-dead korg es-1 too!

And I have always loved knob-per-function synths, can’t wait to try that work flow with samples.

2 Likes

Feature Request!

Instead of having a dest in the lfo menu, holding the lfo key will activate depth value +/- for each parameter that has a knob.

1 Like

I guessed AU $700. Ouch.

Though I suppose that’s only 100 more than an Electribe, so kinda makes sense…

Not a very good example of a simple dedicated instrument, that pda-5 basically was a hyper portable, touchscreen complete studio arranger. Very flexible and innovative for the time. Certainly a better composition tool that the MS.

2 Likes

Can the battery grip have some wicked mod/expression functions like the ol’ SH-101 keytaur appendage?

Please?

Singer, tanbur player, bassist, drummer here; change that to accordionist :wink:

2 Likes

With the battery pack this would be a great sequencer for an SP404. That’d be one hell of a mobile set up. I love my DT but the power supply, although very long, can get annoying.

1 Like

You can map any cheap midi controller with pads like the $50 axiom 25 to the Digitakt. Now you can wear out cheaper encoders/pads while jamming hard, now you can also have a custom knob per function mapping and break out the volume faders to real faders + velocity aftertouch etc.

3 Likes

The many posts saying things like ‘Quiet guys, an instrument is what you make of it, well done elektron!’ And ‘so if you can do more or less the same with apps why does anyone buy hardware?’ reveal a lot. As if they aren’t even in a competitive market and it’s no issue.
The thing costs quite a lot for an entry level product so it needs to justify itself - the first thing a lot of new music makers will do is get a DAW. After that their next choice is probably to find a controller of some kind for that DAW.
Hardware has to offer some very valuable advantages that software or controllers don’t in order to make a lot of sales, I don’t see that here at all.

4 Likes

If the M:S is later able to be used as a midi controller as well, that would shows its value. If it can be an audio/midi interface, a midi controller, AND a portable sampler sequencer all at once, that is well worth the money in my opinion. I probably wouldn’t buy it new myself but that’s quite a lot of features for $400, especially unquantized recording with retrigger recording to boot.

I’m going to agree with BradleyAllen here. Part of what you’re paying for here, is the interface. Knobs. An elektron sequencer. Not mouse keyboard MIDI CCs etc etc. it’s an instrument, it’s hands on. Can your DAW download splice.com samples and tweak them? Of course. But it won’t be nearly as fun as with the MS

(Unless maybe you’re using Renoise!)

1 Like

An audio interface without an input (other than the track sounds)? Meh …

2 Likes

I’m thinking of picking an MS up and filling it with samples ran through an impulse response of bacon frying (vintage treatment). Instant classic :slightly_smiling_face:
Also, occurred to me a great small setup might be the MS with 5 internal tracks and one midi track driving a small analogue monosynth like a Treadstone.

2 Likes

but definitely more of a nightmare to prog.

but…okay…how about…
Casio_vl_tone

da da da…

Well said:)

1 Like

I was thinking about it like this:

Using the M:S to sequence and shape sounds in Ableton, P-locks and all, save those samples.

Load the samples into the M:S for use away from the computer.

Rinse and repeat.

Sure the lack of input sucks, but most home producers don’t even record real instruments anymore (aside from those here of course and people with dedicated hardware or an instrument.)

These days it’s all controllers, samples, and plugins so there’s little need for actual inputs for many producers. Hell, if I didn’t have the Circuit or 404 I wouldn’t need inputs period. Now that the DT has OB that’s another set of inputs I don’t need.

I’ve got some great plugins I can use to make samples if need be, so no inputs needed, and I’ve been exploring sounds/splice.com for samples to just load up whenever I want instead of making new ones for each track.

Obviously this isn’t all producers, and plenty still use hardware and record actual instruments, but the plethora of computer musicians that don’t cannot be ignored at this point, and that’s exactly who this product is for.

I think it would be neat to have a set up like my laptop + M:S and some headphones. That’s like a 6lb set up max. Imagine sequencing something from the V-Collection Elektron style while on an airplane, that sh*t would be wild :joy:

2 Likes