Introducing Model:Samples

Have to say that after reading this thread, it hardly seems like everyone is fawning over it. Seems to be a lot of anger actually, which is kind of strange to me.

1 Like

Also less control over FX, no way to store sample + settings as sound, no resampling - which is a real biggie.

1 Like

My bad - I didn’t even stop to realize you were addressing someone’s specific question. And you’re totally right, those are all great reasons to get a Digitakt. I’m just irked so many people are slamming this thing for being a “not as good” Digitakt when simplicity is the entire point. It’s the same negative crowd that criticized the Digi for being a “dumbed down” Octatrack, and look how many people are making great music with them now.

Sometimes you want an almond covered, chocolate drizzled, double banana split with with extra strawberries and whipped cream on top of a bed of fudge brownies…and sometimes you just want a scoop of vanilla.

4 Likes

IMO new M:S prices should be around £300-£330. Retailers are currently listing it at a tenner below Elektron’s RRP when they’re selling the DT at £160 below RRP. Once this corrects the M:S will make sense. As I said before, it’s supposed to be more than 40% cheaper than the DT. That’s why the spec is so limited in comparison.

6 Likes

Thats perfect :slight_smile:

Nice one Mzero

1 Like

Id love to see the first 3 of those requests added to the Rytm

Personally I love the look. But that may be my nostalgia talking…

3 Likes

Ha…this is very ugly. Glad there have been the mk1 designs.

1 Like

Same here. Very TR-909 meets Jomox Xbase09 meets Nintendo.
My appreciation is 100% nostalgia.

I also appreciate the “reference” in design.

OT and Analog MK1s had a direct Rams/Braun influence which I appreciated. I felt like the MK2s and Digis were their own thing, shedding that influence.

10 Likes

+1. Will look great when it’s all grubby, and discoloured from sunlight and nicotine. And plugged into a distortion pedal and an SH-01A or a Minitaur or something.

2 Likes

design reminds me of this:

the M:S seems a bit more immediate though…

4 Likes

Yeah, definitely feel the 909 vibe, as well as commodore 64, and pretty much every PC case I had in the 90s.

1 Like

Sample not Sampler.

Model: Samples

• i am the model that plays samples

love the dreamcast sitting on top of the monitor in Simon’s instagram videos. surely this was an influence in some form too :smiley:

2 Likes

I actually WISH they’d do it the way you are saying, and put out a small box covering each area. One MIDI sequencer with the exact MIDI sequencer of the digitakt, but with a song mode. Then maybe a super-focused sampler and a synth. This would allow me to fill in the little gaps in my Elektron setup without having to buy every single box.

I wonder if the knobs will be easily removable so we can sticker bomb this thing.

3 Likes

I plan on slapping stickers and taking a marker to it.

3 Likes

I just did :wink:

Um…theres some diffs tho

• MD you can effectively have 16 LFOs assigned to 1 track, sampling, sound design
  • MNM has 3 LFOs per track, simultanious midi
  • A4 has CV and sample or sound locks
  • AR has perf, sample locks, sample/analog sounds
  • DN sampling, sim midi, big OLED, OB, sound locks
  • DT sim midi, big OLED, OB, sound locks

…off the top

I was hoping for some sick ass box. But they have sick ass boxes…how many can you have in your kit before it starts becoming redundant.

And it makes sense…with all the micro shit coming out, and everyone eating it up…why wouldnt you wanna get in on it.
Lots of folks would never get into elektron at 1400 or 700 for a box when you can jam with a 300 groove box. But someone who gets the M:S might get as hooked as many people here are.
I forked out 1500 i think it was for my MD way back when. It was a huge hit at the time. And i only did that cuz i could. Or i would stuck with the electribes.
After that MD landed, i bid farewell to my es-1.

So…it is what it is. If its not for you, so be it. I too was not pumped at this reveal…then after a little bit, and a little break, i got outta my own head and remembered, it really isnt about me, right? Like…im sure yer sittin there saying to yourself…who is this asshole…“I dont give a squirt about what he says”. Well, picture that applying to us all.

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few or the one. Spock (hahahaha) :face_vomiting:

Basically, there are many more factors involved here than just the opinion of one. The world is bigger than our own minds.

4 Likes

Yes you’re right, it’s hard to choke down from a beloved company. Although I’m not excited or impressed by this device as I am literally every other Elektron device that exists, nor do I care about Elektron branching into mid and low end devices, I can’t hate on it.

Engineering is an art (so long as management isn’t influenced by money and stays true to original company principles). If you engineer a device so many of your loyal fans despise or don’t care about, the engineers are human, and that does feel bad. If some decent music gets made with this, great.

The main issue I guess, as a DT/DN and A4MKII owner is, I can make entire tracks using any one of those devices and they sound very legitimate and full, with the motion and musicality the programming allows. This doesn’t seemingly have enough oomph to do anything on its own besides some glitch beats, maybe ambient and other basic genres, IMO, based on the music I listen to for fun. Even those genres I feel like you’d need at least a DAW to add in some substance. I’d never be chilling or in the car or gym or anywhere for that matter, listening to anything I’ve heard coming from this device so far. Sure it sounds ok, and it’s interesting, but…

I’ll be waiting, I’d love to be proven wrong because while it’s not nearly worth $400, freeing up percussive tracks on my DT would be kind of nice and being able to mangle them more easily.

1 Like