Introducing Model:Samples

That’s quite a lame thing to have to distinguish between though, should it really be so close marketing wise? I mean come on, what about the new Elektronauts?

“Guys it’s not a sampler, it samples! Says so in the name and trust me there’s a difference”.

I really can’t see 400 buck of hard earned money in the MS feature set.

4 Likes

haven’t watched all the videos so I don’t know if they show sample importing, but I’m curious if it’s possible to remain connected to your computer while demo-ing samples… or do you have to do it ala OT where you enter disk mode to transfer samples, then exit it to demo them?

the manual just says “plug it into computer, open Transfer software, set the ports accordingly, dump samples in.” doesn’t mention a special mode on the M:S itself. it says sequencer playback stops when you transfer files, but that doesn’t mean you can’t hit the pads to hear the sample and see if you can mangle it in a cool way.

just curious. if you can demo samples in this way, that would make it even more immediate. I’m skeptical though as I imagine once your computer mounts that drive, the M:S won’t have access to it…

Great. Have fun.
I’d pick another DT for my setup. Can’t see to many reasons I would do otherwise.

No? Then you need… Moar Stickers!! Think that plays samples and acts as a coloring book! Hard to say no huh?

1 Like

I see what yer saying…

But a LOT of instruments are dedicated instruments. A bass guitar is just that. You can get creative and sample slaps and hits and make percs outta that, but those arent getting sampled by the bass…right. But a bass is not designed to make full tracks. And you can spend 300 to 12000. And spending anything less than 1000 is kind of a waste of money on a bass.

I hate taking this road each time, but, Autechre made a full track with…

Im not sure when things changed that people think every instrument should be a full music production studio, but a lot of instruments have a dedicated function. The instrument is a creative as its user.

6 Likes

great post, well said. also can’t forget that the “perceived value” of the other machines goes up with the release of lower tier/feature limited boxes. Similarly, how the OT had a little bump in attention once the digitakt became popular, due to all the users wanting more in certain areas.

I imagine similar effect will be had between M:S and digitakt. I think purely as a midi controller the pressure sensitive pads fill some type of void that the Rytm didn’t achieve with it’s lack of midi out for the power users.

Also being able to use this thing like a mini elektron sketch pad on the go sounds pretty rad to me. Secretly i’ve hoped that Elektron would make a companion iOS/mobile app with a GUI version of the elektron step sequencer so I can write stuff with samples on the bus, on lunch etc and then come home and transfer the sequencer/pattern information to the black boxes.

1 Like

Is it me or does it sound a bit “crunchier” than the Digitakt? Some sort of overdrive at work?

1 Like

I think it sounds less nasal than the DT.
Never liked the DT sound, no matter the source.

Crazy! To me its just the most effortless and open thing. But the MS sound is intriguing, from yt videoes off course, but a bit more midrangy perhaps?

Of course, and different target audiences. Being a guitar player is one reason the lack of automation here doesn’t interest me, I don’t have 3 arms yet.

Every other Elektron box does interest me for that reason (save effects which still interest me). The programmable automation and possible musicality makes the other boxes so appealing to me. The only way I could see myself using this is if I record everything I need first and add this in at the end, playing it like an instrument. I can’t seem myself sampling the Samples into my DT.

Ages ago when I first cut my teeth in electronic music, I saved up to buy this used:

And I bought this brand new:

And while both have their charm, I’m certain I’d much rather have the Model:Samples. I think Elektron will do well with this new unit as it has appeal for those looking to make their entry into music, as well as those that need portability/small form factor. I’m sure it’s good to move down market and rope in new blood to the Elektron world, some of which will realize what they’ve been missing out on and will buy the more expensive units when resources allow.

4 Likes

I had the same thought myself. I wonder how the 2 sound in an A/B comparison.

It sounds like a lower sample rate or something to me (I said that when all we had to go on was that original teaser vid - that it sounds like an Amiga tracker or something). Maybe it’s the sample pitching algorithm? I’d be interested to know if that’s its natural sound or an effect, or in the original samples. I like it though.

1 Like

Chance is like a per track probability and doesn’t override conditional triggers, right?

Sounds good, I actually like the way some features are implemented on M:S better than DT

1 Like

I think its a really nice partner to OPZ

i know people have said that this is based on the digitakt but it would be pretty rad if they employed a different DAC for the M:S for the lower sample rate giving this slightly more lo-fi, bit reduced crunchy sound

or this could just be the overdrive that’s implemented specifically for the M:S causing this effect

2 Likes

When Elektron released the Analog Drive pedal, did you think they were only going to make pedals after that? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Its funny but most of these posts have got nothing to do with the music. But people are more into gear than what is delivered.

5 Likes

As a recent DT owner I kind of wish jamming on it was as quick/simple as this. Can I get this OS on my DT? lol… nah I keeed, sorta.

1 Like