Introducing Model:Samples

Absolutely! I do think that the recent Modal Skulpt and forthcoming Craft2 have achieved that through some clever interface design so I’ve a lot of faith in the Elekton posse to be able to deliver.

No doubt in the interim that I’ll face some crisis of confidence when I start seeing more hands-on demos of the M:S which mean that my initial feelings of overlap with the DT are undermined.

No audio in and priced way too high. Cheap and cheerful has to be priced, well, cheap.

6 Likes

does it at least play stereo samples?

I don’t see anything about polyphonic or monophonic in chromatic mode in the online manual… polyphony would be so great! anyone know if that’s a thing in the model:samples?

1 Like

No

No. All tracks are monophonic (in both senses)

1 Like

model:monosamples then

quite disappointing to see the direction elektron is going. It was one of the few companies with real potential for innovation.

6 Likes

@pix If M:S makes them enough money, they will invest it in flagship models too. This might be the bright side of things. They have enough of the more expensive models to pick from atm. Something for everybody.

2 Likes

Out of all the limitations of this machine, I don’t see how mono samples is the most egregious. It’s meant to be a super-simple drum machine, how many of your drum samples are stereo?

2 Likes

Stereo would’ve been nice , especially for atmospheric noise and some nice stereo / pre processing /3D / weird effects. Having some noises sounding wide / narrow in addition to left / right .

Its one of the main reasons I kept octatrack

1 Like

Looks like if you are sending audio to USB it will not send it to the main out, so you can send M:S audio to PC and then output from PC into M:S main out, as a stereo audio interface

1 Like

I personally love the sound, the look, the approach. What’s wrong with a cheaper elektron box?

5 Likes

Interesting move away from hi end boutique hardware by elektron here. Electribe 2 would be my choice if I was after this sort of device though. Runs off AA batteries, 16 voice polyphony, samples, synthesis, SD card, export projects to abelton.

Some my thoughts on this and Akai Force.

3 Likes

Did Korg ever fix that bug where the sound cuts out every time you switch pattern?

same ones on Elektron site

I believe that was fixed in the last update. Not 100% on that though

1 Like

Link? I only see the full square color buttons on the Elektron product page.

Not the DT style outline buttons, as are seen in the Perfect Circuit video.

OH yer lookin for the opaque…no they seem to be lit. WAY cooler.
the opaque are kinda…meh

most likely proto.
would wager you could order them if they have em.

Because it’s simply not Elektron-like who has carved a market out of high end gear.

I mean, just imagine Cenk. The guy has been around using Rytms, Analog Fours/Keys, Octatracks, Digitakt, Digitone, Sidstations, Monomachine, Machinedrum, and Analog Heat/Drive, you think Cenk feels passionate about this release based on the previous gear history or does Elektron feel passionate about $ now?

If I was Cenk I’d feel kind of embarrassed marketing the M:S. I don’t come to Elektron looking for gear like that even though it’s not a bad piece of kit in any sense really.

1 Like