Introducing Digitone

True! Can’t wait to get my rusty, cybernetic hands on a unit.
I’ve already heard some aggressive stuff, but some really eerie pads, too. Two filters allow for some non-traditional stuff.
I’ll be doing two soundpacks for Elektron for the DN, so I’ll be exploring cold, desolate places (East Brunswick, New Jersey; Boise, Idaho. )

7 Likes

I’d be happy to go back to Coldfoot Alaska and do some sound design up there if :3lektron: wanted to cover such an excursion. Get a little battery, sit up on The Chandalar Shelf in September, sound-designing away…

So dreamy.

To counter-act any possibility of that actually happening, here’s another super rough jam. Just one pattern, no conditionals, paired up with Machinedrum. Last night I got such a fun little groove going on the arpeggiator and, just like on Monomachine, I hypnotized myself and just listened to it until the TV turned itself off out of neglect. Custom sounds.

Best part is about 1:23 when it’s just the arp and the machinedrum and some sound tweaking. Turns itself into some kind of late 80’s funk for a bit. Worst part is when I decide to play with track transpose for a bar or two.

6 Likes

The filters are fine…no complaints. I really just use the filters to tame sounds or cut out excess bass, etc
…the real fun happens in the FM synthesis section…it’s very clear and full, so when you create scratchy FMmy noises, you can hear lots of detail.

2 Likes

I’am asking random question to have some feedback on the sounds that are else than typical (if it ever exists) belly-ish FM hi freq sound, that I do not seem to like… So I’d continue and ask what range of frequencies can the DN reach… mid and hi for sure but low, ultralow? Which I’d like, can it do voodoo percussive marimba a percussions? aand the soundscapes can sound somehow analog-ish (I heard nice strings, can they go low enough and be hearable in a mix? Like said before too many questions…

Ohhhh yes, DN very very good at this! They can get very bassy but very tight, and synthetic, but “woody” and “tribal” at the same time.

3 Likes

Yeah it has microtiming, so I can nudge or play unquantized to get that odd step swung feel… But actually I submitted a feature request to elektron about it! They are considering it (obvsly not promising it will be added) which gives me hope.

I was just messing with my DN some more last night… Man does it do crazy R2D2 plonky tech/IDM once you start piling up modulation! :loopy: Haven’t ran into any major bugs yet either, so far seems to work quite aight.

do I understand correctly that this does not apply to MIDI tracks? and that the in-scale transposition feature also isn’t available for MIDI tracks? the manual isn’t clear on this, and a few ppl here have implied that these features are only available to the internal synth tracks.

but there’s no samples so 1gb is probably not needed.

Ya but storage is required for the presets and any upcoming download sounds I would think

I’ve been convinced to buy one… I just wish I could find one available in the UK. :frowning:

Andertons have them on Monday it seems. Check with them. I got mine here.

1 Like

Put a few orders in for different places. I ordered one on the 26th Jan from Gear 4 Music and they said it’d be coming mid March. Then last week I saw Dawson’s selling them so took someone’s advice from in here and got Paypal Credit to order another. It came 2 days later from Dawson’s so cancelled G4M order. Could try that, no money comes out until it arrives in the shop.

DN sounds so dang good :slight_smile:

Hope it sounds good for my taste, generally I prefer analog stuff, but FM can do else more… (my experience with FM is most due to a nord G1).

Yeah, that is one area where FM synths are superior to traditional analog: woody and metallic percussion.

You can mess with attack, envelope stuff, etc. on analogs, but it’s not quite the same…

Still have to say that I achieved monster metallic percussion with A4… and “woody” with the monomachine as well!

1 Like

There’s something in how the notes respond to different levels of velocity, how they ring, etc. that FM is really, really good at, that analog can approximate only to a degree. I have analog synths too and have gotten metallic percussive hits and stuff like that too.

While I think nothing beats direct experience as far as understanding how great FM is for percussion, this video does a pretty good job:

Of course FM is king for percussions… hands down, but analog dirt is what is prefer much more

Yeah, that’s why people end up buying more than one synth. This hasn’t changed in 30 years.

FM used for the lively, responsive percussion, ethereal pads that sit nicely in a mix, sometimes layered w/ analog pad and/or sampler. Analog for dirt or whatever usual stuff people use analog for. Sampling for you know what.

on quirkyness monomachine does a lot, got it maybe 8 years ago and still using it! of course the new elektron sequencers are galaxies far away…

1 Like