Introducing: Digitone Keys

yep, not hating, just what I would have wanted. And there are several options with keys available so its a good time for keyboard synths.

3 Likes

After having the Keystep for less than 5 minutes with my Digitone, having the Octave buttons easily in pinky’s reach is very nice… Easily let’s me play a bass note/chord and toggle the octaves, which doesn’t affect the current notes being played, greatly increasing the range beyond 32 keys if you can do it with finesse. Seemingly much better than reaching over with your right hand to change octaves and getting back into position.

This was the test for me in deciding if I’ll get the DNK… A hard no. Parameter tweaking is great for sequences, but for the big addition being the keyboard, I would expect better function and arrangement.

I just wanna add that I think the design is ugly and awkward. I don’t get why anyone would have any interest in this when you can get a digitone+midi keyboard for way cheaper. It just seems like a lazy release.

The model samples was a sleeper too.

Still a big elektron fan and I’m imagining they have to have something big in the works as well.

But I see no reason at all that someone would wanna buy this

2 Likes

DNK doesn’t have polyphonic aftertouch, it has aftertouch.

If you want to sacrifice 5 keys and size and gain all of that including a sustain pedal input, another self contained sequencer/arp, far more playability, and CV in/outs the popular Keystep can be found used for $80, $120 new.

A full sized 37 key keyboard is pretty awkward, that’s why most in that range are mini or in keytar form. Gonna have to change your search criteria.

1 Like

I found the following one, looks like a special edition or something though. Good luck with the search!

Pitch bend and mod wheel MIA though.

1 Like

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DeepMind6--behringer-deepmind-6-37-key-6-voice-analog-synthesizer

:upside_down_face:

1 Like

glad we got choices

2 Likes

It isnt. Design heritage aside: The Digitone is just a pure FM Synth in the end. The Monomachine had several different Synth Algorithms on offer. FM was just an option back then :wink:

7 Likes

The FX aren’t so much a problem for me, but it would have been awesome if they could have expanded the synth control- you have to bounce across four different pages to design your synth sound- that’s just a bit unwieldy to me- maybe add a few extra knobs, bigger screen and combine some pages so you would only have to maybe bounce across two pages instead of four- it would have made the price much more appealing

1 Like

Yeah, this would’ve been nice. open up this thing even more.

And that goes also for the AK. But that’s another story. :blush:

1 Like

There was more opportunities to do it with the AK, given all that space at their disposal.

But more of a need to do it with the DN.

They really should have just turned it into a little micro Korg kinda thing/size. Mini keys, no new features and sold it for $900- and then included a port for a multi-out adapter which could have been sold for ~$150.

It would have been enough to reintroduce the marketability of the DN, but been compelling enough for people to buy the more expensive of the two devices, retained its portability, and still would have provided the opportunity for people to upgrade further

4 Likes

Seriously though: can you imagine this posted up in a living room? Anyone who comes through would have to drop everything and ask “wtf is that?”

Who wouldn’t want to fiddle around with alien-looking synth like the DNK?

8 Likes

Hold on, what exactly is the “mystery” output from the DT?

1 Like

I find the Summit, the Peak and the Minilogue XD completely boring. They are doing almost nothing new.

Possibly LFO based. The kick sound is likely a repeating sawtooth LFO if there is no sequencing. Maybe a pulse.

I understood it to mean there was no external sequencing – but the beat is simple enough it could have been an LFO. The disclaimer did kind of jump out at me as weird (because: who cares?)

1 Like

Its a sampling from a number station that I have set up (using Multi Map) to trigger from the low C on the Digitone Key. If you look closely in the first second of the performance you can see my skinny left hand trigger it :stuck_out_tongue:

The kick and bass are two tracks with arpeggiator and hold that I allocated so that I can play them from the Trig keys keyboard.

9 Likes

I know, I had one for a couple of years. Still for me the Digitone is the essence of the best things from the Monomachine, brought into the 21st century with a much more User friendly approach. Plus they made FM much more accesable. No wonder…the Digitone is always Sold Out everywhere and ppl ask high prices for sh Units, If you even can find one …
However i dont understand the grumpy old men complains, especially on the german Sites not at all. You dont like it? Fine, dont buy it. But why oh why start bitching and moaning and keep on complaining?
I dont get it.

8 Likes

Yep!

2 Likes