Introducing Digitakt

It’s it safe to presume the sounds from the teasers were generated by this?

I’m a little unsure of Digitakt but I loved the teasers! Sounded great

This is going to be nothing less than awesome. I’m getting one. It should arrive at about the same time as my third child. So I’ll have plenty of time to … uh, wait …

But I’m getting one anyway.

8 Likes

WHAT IS WRONG ABOUT THAT???
:wink:

5 Likes

Yes you are right. The SRC button is the key here, and the SMP label on the bottom left of the OLED. It seems to me there will be multiple sources, which I take to mean engines, instead of just SMP source being the only one, plus the quote “highly flexible” sound engine. If it is just a sampler / midi controller, then it is a half-sized OT. An OT-lite. I wonder if they would do such a thing.

1 Like

Based on what Jon said and with what’s apparent from the photo:

1. Each voice/track can have a single sample as the audio source/OSCsource which will be manipulated by the filter, amp eg, lfo and effects.

2. It does not sound like there will be synthesized oscillators or different machines at release

3. Since it’s digital, who knows what is in store for the future or what else lies under the hood besides the normal subtractive synth stuff.

4. Still looks very cool for $650

Smart move for elektron, growing right before our eyes
Can totally see the next machine having same format and being a digi multi track synth
Flagships and smaller siblings is a nice approach

3 Likes

Looks like the parameters on the “SRC” page are identical to the parameters on the RTYM’s “SAMPLE” page (i.e. TUN, FIN, BR, SMP, STA, END, LOP and LEV).
So maybe it doesn’t do drum synthesis (currently)!

I guess the SRC button is simply the page you go to to select your sample.

What I think is that Elektron DigiTakt is more like an advanced Korg Volca Sample than an OT2 or MD2. Like the Analog Heat, it looks STUNNING, and I see a whole line of forthcoming Elektron gear with this form-factor.

2 Likes

I think the Digitakt is rather:

Something new
Something old
Something borrowed
Something… green

4 Likes

Damn… Makes sense, but damn. Elektron just a made a sample player.

1 Like

Pretty cool but since I already own Rytm, I think I’ll spend another few hundred and get the MPC LIve. This looks great for a beginner or for someone wanting to have a drum machine with their computer set up. Without layering your drums it’s hard to really have your own sound though.

3 Likes

The 8-track MIDI sequencer with the modern tricks is a pretty big deal. Haven’t people been asking for that? Plus 8-internal tracks for playing back one-shot samples (can you loop the samples?). I wonder if notes will be represented on-screen like the MnM, since it seems to have a Chromatic Mode. Several engines from the MD & MnM would be great. But maybe they’ll make another box for that. Lots of speculation.

2 Likes

What I’d like to know is how in depth are the sequencing capabilities for external devices. Can it do polyphonic midi note data? Can it send note data, pitch, mod, cc, sysex simultaneously? Can it record tweaking of cc parameters?

2 Likes

If it can only use samples and there isn’t much in the way of sample based synthesis (only amp, filter etc this) would be less interesting to me. Unless of course it does internal resampling…that might make an interesting addition to my setup as I’ve got an A4 and a couple drum machines right now. Of course working with non drum samples might be interesting here even if sample storage and length are limited.

Of course having an Elektron sequencer run stuff in VST land is an interesting prospect as well.

May be i got it wrong but in the video he said 8 track drum sampling and in the specification is written 8-Audio and 8-Midi tracks. So i don’t understood the speculations if additional digital machines happen, I am shure they mentioned that also during the presentation, or not…?

1 Like

Yep. Pretty much all I wanna know at this point too.

I’m gathering it will not have drum synthesis.

Digitakt + Heat definitely no longer looking like Rytm replacement for my purposes. Still wondering about it for sequencing synths though (minor triads, minor triads, minor triads).

1 Like

Not a sample player…

I would like to know why they are describing it as being a “Powerful Digital Sound Engine”?

1 Like