Introducing Digitakt

But if it’s mono only, and still allows resampling, that’d cripple any attempts at resampling a loop from a bunch of panned and fx-layered tracks within the machine.

With 64MB of ram, the idea of building loops and resampling them, only to hear your pans canned and your fx damped, makes resampling very limited.

5 Likes

One of my hang-ups with my Op1. Mono resample is a wall sometimes…

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s cool. But as some others have pointed out, it’s 2017. Even the limping Electribe Sampler at least gives me the choice.

If this is the case, I’m returning to the Octatrack. I get that a drum sampler is mono and focused on one shots. Still, if you can’t do a feature properly, then just don’t do it. Resampling in mono from internally panned voices with stereo fx, is just a job badly done.

But I’m jumping to conclusions. Let’s wait until the real reveal, and give the benefit of doubt till then.

2 Likes

Elektron has released the ultimate Zoom Sampletrak killer and nobody knows they need it yet.

I want to sit on my couch and feed that midi sequencer from the out port to the in port.

Then I want to start automating everything in Ableton and save the sequences into the box.

2 Likes

All the time wearing nothing but your underwear.

2 Likes

Cons > pros in my case

• last version of external MIDI sequencing
  • sampling/resampling, one of the things I use the most in OT.
  • no OT-like USB disk file management
  • mono tracks :tired_face:
  • no perf/scene/ctrl-al mode (I love Fn+knobs/Reload combo on Machinedrum, it’s quite impressive what you get out of it)
  • only one set of stereo IN/OUT

It seems there are chances we’re offered a “mini” version of what has been done in the past, rather than the OT++ most of Elektron fanboys were waiting. A bit sad to feel I’m not the target for this device…

Good thing is I have to keep my money !
I’m on the waiting list for a Cirklon now ! :smile:

1 Like

Another thing to possibly consider regarding a price comparison with the new Akai is what country either product is manufactured in. Does that country pay workers a living wage? Not wanting to start a debate, but again, it could be a factor.

7 Likes

I was wondering about one thing: is the anouncing but not releasing DT a strategic move, to get more feedback from users or possible users in a way the feedback is more narrowed down to specific machine, which is “almost done”, instead of processing a huge wishlist from thousands people about what the new Elektron machine could be?
Thanks to that Elektron can try to optimize the work in progress and introduce specific changes to gain the value given by the machine (sort of modifed agile development).
DT is now like a combination of redesigned interface and already existing overall components in Elektron, for example:

• sampling and processing on the fly (OT),
  • FX (reverb and delay - I don’t think there will be other fx processor than in the AR or A4)
  • sequencer (AR, A4)
  • MIDI (sequences organized in patterns, scales, etc.)
  • Overbridge support (“engine” is the same)

There are uncertainities like sequencer mono or poly, specific sampler functions (timestretch or not, mono or stereo etc.) but this I believe is a subject of final tuning. Otherwice we would know more detailed specification.

:diddly:

I think the real question is ‘if Akai weren’t showing new MPCs would Elektron have bothered to show the DT at NAMM?’.

10 Likes

What if we just love the idea of hardware companies battling tooth and nail to win over our hearts?

4 Likes

It’s industry chess…

MPC X and LIVE were hardly a shocking NAMM news story with the 2 standalone MPCs rumoured months and months ago.
Elektron like TE, showed a taste of what is to come, happens every year, doubt it was a knee jerk reaction to AKAI. To be fair, they generated a lot of interest in DT.

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: Red eye

If they wanted to kill the zoom sampletrak they should have released the Digitakt about 16 years ago in Year 2000 - I guess your joking right?

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Is just me or are elektron on drugs?

Now they are saying on the website - a digital engine

Compact, rugged and to the point. Digitakt is a formidable drum machine. With an astounding feature set and an exquisite digital sound engine, the stage is set for a striking encounter.

Rhythm is a fundamental part of music. Off-kilter beats, four on the floor workouts, polyrhythmic excursions all serve the same purpose. They provide musical structure and sometimes they even make us dance.

Digitakt is a new compact drum machine from Elektron. It contains all the necessary tools to make people move to the beat. A digital and highly flexible sound engine, sampling capability, a live-friendly sequencer, the means to control external MIDI gear. Round it off with a super crisp OLED screen and wonderfully tactile back-lit buttons. Done deal.

Drum machines are something of an Elektron speciality. With the Digitakt we show why.

Are you implying that they’ve changed their wording?
Because the Digitakt info on Elektron.se hasn’t changed since it was publicized 6 days ago.

touche

Still, it makes little sense to have stereo when using as a soundcard and mono when standalone. And my biggest gripe with this is the inability to stereo sample, it makes the sampling function less useful.

But yeah, the lack of stereo on a drum machine, not a big deal. On a sampler however…

1 Like

Ahah anything you say may be used against you…
Nice one Adam :wink:

DT did generate a lot of interest but I think much of that has been driven by most peoples presumption that this would do drum synthesis. We have seen press reports mentioning this! I think much of the excitement would have been muted had the Elektron guys been clearer. Not saying there was anything sinister in the way they revealed DT but once I sifted through what this could and couldn’t do my interest/excitement took a gigantic nosedive. I just don’t get it! But that’s ok, it’s not like I have to like all things Elektron!