Introducing Digitakt

With midi sequencing now introduced, it would be nice to also be able to edit the sequencer data via the overbridge plugin.

3 Likes

Iā€™ll be using it for drums, sampling the analog drums from my AK, freeing up my 4 voices.

1 Like

My combo is AR/A4/Eurorack.

Currently Eurorack is sequenced via CV on A4. But I havenā€™t bought many modules yet because I am limited by the A4 CV tracks. I just have a Rings/Clouds that acts as a 5th voice for my A4 really.

Digitrakt will be used as the Eurorack MIDI sequencer. I will be able to buy more modules.

Itā€™s an insta buy for me.

I am thinking of using it together with a Norddrum 3P

DT sequencer
Nord synthesis
Nord Drumpads
DT sampler

Seems like the best of both worlds

Curious about the resampling capabilities of the DT
Hopefully there will be sample/wav editor page(s) on the DT as well (just like on the OT)
Resampling on the fly, edit, save and load it on one of the tracks without having to stop the sequencer.
Using the pads of the Nord for playing both the DT and Nord sounds

Also the Korg Volca FM could be a nice companion for it,
itā€™s a shame not all parameters of the Volca FM are controllable via CC

1 Like

Did anyone confirm that the tracks on DT will be mono only? I guess I missed that.
I would like to see a) stereo tracks, b) fine tune of start and end points and c) usb host functionality (wonĀ“t happen, IĀ“ve seen the back of the unit, too) and d) simple slicing, ie slice sample in 2,4 or 8 parts.

Yeah I donā€™t think it will have a mono playback engine. Iā€™m suspecting it will be stereo since almost all commercial sample libraries are in 24bit 44.1 stereo these days and they are trying to make it as easy to use for new users as possibleā€¦

No it has been confirmed its mono only

Well that makes no sense whatsoever. It its true its a really straight up DUMB move.

Where was that confirmed? Thereā€™s no point in having stereo outs if you canā€™t even pan the tracks. And if itā€™s because the effects are stereo then you really might as well at least have panning. I think for ā‚¬650 Iā€™d expect that, even if the individual tracks are only processing mono samples.

Was confirmed by an official earlier.
Yeah crazy for a new digital box to be mono only

stereo outs. mono samples. you can pan the tracks in the main stereo field.

1 Like

Iā€™m sure it will offer the flexibility of dual mono or stereo ins as per OT

Either sample from L or R or Sum so you can have a pair of mono synth panned centrally and sample from either or run a stereo box straight through direct(+fx) etc ā€¦ seems obvious and much like the AR with elements of OT (besides stereo sampling)

Well one reason is I think stereo audio can be fed into these inputs and then sent into a DAW via overbridge similar to A4 and AK. Presumably processed by the onboard stereo effects on the way through.

1 Like

Iā€™m really not getting how anyone can think mono sample playback is acceptable in 2017?

As an option? Sure, but as the ONLY option? NO WAY.

Frankly its weird and not in a good (or useful) way.

Guess the mono limitation could have been one of the reasons they labelled it as a drum sampler and labelled the pads etc. Or vice versa, depending how cynical youā€™re feeling :wink:

1 Like

Well I have already whinged 3 times in this thread about being mono only so wonā€™t whinge againā€¦

As the saying goes, ā€œdonā€™t look a gift horse in the mouthā€, meaning yes sampler with overbridge is good etc, but my meaning wasā€¦ simply as a standalone midi sequencer, it looks damn appealing. We all have different needs though, so I understand that you might prefer the sampling and drum programming side of things. Thatā€™s the beauty of elektron gearā€¦ always multi faceted.

1 Like

Itā€™s not weird if the restriction allows a moderate spec chip to deliver double the tracks it might otherwise fail to do ā€¦ itā€™s not weird if you see that your imported (mostly drum type) samples are going to consume less precious ram, leaving you more to do sampling (and also ensuring you a greater prospect of accurate zero point crossings if they go down that route) - just simpler for a drum oriented device

I am one of these crazy people that uses AR to play R/L split stereo samples on different tracks. itā€™s not really that funā€¦ For a digital box not needing analog hardware signal chain mono on DT makes no sense. I can already do this on my novation circuit

3 Likes

Maybe they should up the damn spec of the chips then and get with the 21st century?

I mean look at the spec of the MPC liveand compare. It will be a couple of hundred pounds more and will be able to do 64 stereo tracks all with real time time stretch, a 7" touch screen interface, with really nice pads, 6 audio outs and a up to 4fx simultaneously per channel + bus FX.

Using ONLY mono samples is not simpler, each stereo sample you move over requires conversion and summing which can mess up the integrity, punch and sound stage of the sample.

Basically it looks like the digitakt will be Ā£100 worth of components and Ā£500 worth of profit per unit, the longer I look at it the more of a rip off it seems.

2 Likes