Introducing Digitakt

Yes the price tag as a sequencer puts it in the bracket of social entropy’s engine and the squarp pyramid. Not sure the DT could compete feature wise with dedicated hardware sequencers like these or if it’s gonna handle polyphonic parts without tying up multiple tracks. Looks like I’m already wishing it to be something other than it is. :weary:

1 Like

i suspect this confusion is partly rooted in what many users would like and were expecting. once elektron discontinued the MD and MnM, everyone has been hoping these instruments will return in modernized form, but maintaining their full original feature set.

6 Likes

If the digitakt has the sequencing power of the OT, beefed up with trig conditions and “kits” for every pattern, I might sell my OT and switch. I originally bought my OT for MIDI sequencing, and while I have also started using the realtime looper/resampler aspects (which I love), the 4 parts per bank is getting really frustrating to me. As usual YMMV

Misleading wording and misleading teasers got a lot of people confused thats all. Whether it was a marketing tactic or a genuine mistake IDK. Again 8 voice drum computer and sampler implies its a drum synth with sampling. I’m sure you can see why it caused confusion.

3 Likes

If this has input machines that let you p’lock the effects that will be really nice. Especially if its a synth that is being midi sequenced by the DT.

Was just day dreaming about 64 trigless trigs in a row, each with probability that controls program change.

Squares will be pushed.

7 Likes

and funnily enough, most confusion with using elektron gear in general usually comes from how they word things too imo.
the octatrack even isn’t that complicated but reading the manual you get bombarded with trig this and trig that and so on which can sound way more complicated than it actually is.
I think they could do with a new “head of writing stuff” department :slight_smile:

2 Likes

basic sampling features says attack mag, which seems accurate.
With a basic sampler and no synth machines this might just be a good way to get a elektron sequencer for the masses.

Hopefully the other releases over 2017 hone in on more experimental machines at the 600 price point
A mono digital synth 8 tracker
A complex grains sampler with waveshaping and transwaves
A poly machine

So I gather, elektron is breaking up their concepts into smaller machines which focus on doing one thing well. It’s going to be tough competing against the volca range, though.

2 Likes

this is john cage level chance

2 Likes

it was definitely intentional. even elektron themselves are uneasy with watering down their equipment.

1 Like

A “live and performance friendly” sequencer needs to have more than L and R output… sorry. Two CUE outs would have been incredibly useful, hopefully elektron will realize that in the next month and work those in :wink:

1 Like

I disagree.If the sampling is more straightforward and it also has trig conditions (internal and midi) and Overbridge, I would have no issue getting this and also having a Machinedrum. It would fill a few needs without heavily overlapping.

2 Likes

Why is the Digitakt considered only a sampling drum machine. Why could’nt you use it like an Octatrack. Is it just the 64MB sample memory per project limit.

And minds will be blown :bomb:

totally. I’m planning to get it and keep my machinedrum :+1:

I’m planning to use it mostly as a multitrack recorder for my other gear (if they don’t neuter the sampling length per track)

We might suspect that the sample playback engine is more like that of the AR than that of the OT: probably no control of playback rate (timestretch), perhaps no slicing, likely no equivalent of Static machines or Neighbour machines, perhaps no scenes.

3 Likes

wish i still had my Octatrack when you explain it like that :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Mono only

That’s just the conspiracy around these parts. In fact vocals, bass and synths go good in mono also. Field recordings not so much. Still it’s strange to steer a user’s mind to think of drums when you literally have a blank sleight with a sampler. If I decide to buy a DT I’ll make it a point to sample anything but drums.

7 Likes