Introducing Digitakt

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Unacceptable bickering

They were mentioning the buttons only though. Like all modern hardware this stuff is build to break down as soon as possible. Itā€™s not like Elektron is any different from other companies. I work on vintage synths/amps too and I am always shocked at what flimsy, unserviceable crap companies sell these days.

Nah, Cenk said they had updated their pots. More durable and higher resolution.

2 Likes

Unlike the MPC Live, the days since announcement of the Digitakt have only made my desire for it grow stronger. I begin to imagine the best way to fit this into my workflow.

Trig conditions on MIDI tracks! This feature is the most unique, but how to use it best?

I could use this to sequence 8 tracks on my MD (non UW) in the most modern Elektron way, and use those extra 8 tracks on MD purely for their freely assignable LFOs and/or CTRL/FX tracks.
Or instead of fully sequencing the MDā€™s drum synth tracks, I could only use it to send conditional trigs to the MD, atop MDā€™s own sequenced tracks.

One of the reasons I didnā€™t spring for the MD UW is the sampling limitation seemed it would be a frustration after being used to Rytmā€™s 64MB project ram, and 16bit/48khz spec.

So excited that the MD + Digitakt is going to give me everything I wish the MDUW was.

That, or this coffee my friend brought back from Bali is just really, really good.

8 Likes

I got a MDUW simply cause I got a really good deal. The sample limitation kind of makes me rarely ever use it except for slight resampling occasionally. I keep debating trading the MDUW for a Rytm but I literally have nowhere to go to demo any Elektron gear (I live right outside of Philadelphia and would have to drive to Brooklyn just to try that stuff).

1 Like

ā€¦and for only 99$!

3 Likes

Thatā€™s good news. I hope they do away with the push knob thing for higher resolution. Itā€™s a cool idea in theory, but these OT/A4 knobs just feel super flimsy.

Does anyone know if this thing can be USB powered? It would make things so much more convenient.

The MDUW I got primarily for the +drive. When I first got my (second) MD I instantly fell in love with the sounds I was pulling out of it, and those patterns just filled up immediately. The sampling, I intend to use, mostly for loading experimental kits designed from field recordings and random sounds, as soon as I can tap into a convenient way to send them over quickly-ish. The resampling is fun, havenā€™t mastered it though.

If this Digitakt turns out to have drum synthetic, but they only turn out to be the GND engines from the MD, then this is an instant replacement for my MD as those are my favorite engines on the MD.

BTW, sidenote, I donā€™t know any way to apply toms to my beats. I pretty much just use a bd(maybe two), a snare, and a high hat so my kits have yet to be more than about 3/4 voices, maybe 5 if I have a weird sound source in there

1 Like

I love that the MDUW+ has a +Drive, but the 2.5mb sample bank memory is the limitation that pushed me toward the nonUW.
I wasnā€™t excited about the prospect of juggling sample banks with snapshots, which was required since I like filling a project (snapshot) with about 32 tunes, using all 128 patterns. 2.5mb sample memory for 32 tunes wasnā€™t going to be enough for me. Rytm has spoiled me in this regard.

But Digitakt as a 64MB sampling/sample-playback appendix to MD (non UW), with the added analog series sequencer tricks and treatsā€¦ perfect. Just perfect.
For me, the $650 Digitakt is a better investment than the $400 UW+ price difference on my MD. It gives me 24 total voices, different FX (hoping for analog series digital FX), and dedicated stereo outs (for p-locked pans) for the sample tracks.

Iā€™m not even interested in the Digitakt having synthesis, now. I donā€™t want to replace my MD. I want to add to it, with even more tracks, and in a more powerful way than the MDUW+ did.

2 Likes

OK, perhaps spoiled children was a bit much, I donā€™t want to offend anybody, or be negative, but I did have a point in there. Alas, me being negative about others being what I feel is negative probably doesnā€™t help at all. Sorry, nothing personal folks, back to music makingā€¦

4 Likes

This is what I do on A4. I donā€™t save kits to +drive anymore.

Are you saying you only use the basic GND machines for your drum sounds instead of the actual various drum generators?

Imagine if they included a euclidean rhythm mechanism somehow! That would be a show stopper for me. Conditional trigs, polyrhythms and (a man can dreamā€¦) euclidean sequencing in that little box would be pretty incredible.

2 Likes

A new video on Elektron fb, oh wait itā€™s a blurry one :smiley: Maybe some new infos are coming soon about the ā€œDrum computerā€ part :stuck_out_tongue:

I use the legitimate engines, but I prefer the GNDs because the engines sorta gives me an initial bias as to what the ending sound SHOULD be. The GNDs are so much more nebulous from the get go and it encourages me to be more creative with them and try weird things to get different sounds from them.

Like, this song is comprised of only the MD with the GND as the only sound sources(with effects from the KP3+ in sparse parts and the OT at the end.)

https://soundcloud.com/ryanpiersoninc/medication

5 Likes

Could be both :blush:

y u do dis adam. stop enabling me :cb:

1 Like

Do you suppose that the midi channels conditional settings can be controlled via Midi CCs? Because getting the Akai and getting out of 4/4 is more important to me, so it would be really cool if I can midi control the DT with the Akai and then send that midi back to my Akai, OT, or various other gear :smiley:

Or its synth twin :blush:

1 Like

and those with OT mostly hope for DT synthesis.

2 Likes