Introducing Digitakt

Oh okay that worked. Thanks.

2 Likes

Yes.

2 Likes

I have a DT on loan from a friend for the weekend.

The immediacy of sampling is appreciated.
Not wanting to fuss around with sample import via USB, I just queued up some OP-1 drum kits in Live (tt-606, Rytm, etc.) and played them into the recording inputs. So quick, so easy.

The per track overdrive is a solid compression alternative.

Having granular capabilities again is fun! I turned the factory BD into an acid bassline in under a minute. This really makes this thing a capable all-in-one groove box, as good as Rytm in this regard.

I was curious how sample chains would fair in the DT.
Surprisingly, that waveform graphic lends itself more to single shots or very short chains (<10 sample hits), as the waveform zoom only exists in the sampling window. But, always wanting to get the most out of that 64MB of ram in single project, Iā€™ll mess around with making my own sample streams out of carefully chosen sample hits, of the same instrument instead of whole drum kits (i.e. 10 different open hats, 10 different kicks).

The 2 rows of step buttons makes chromatic mode so much more logical in the physical sense (than all the other Elektrons), which makes me very hopeful for a DT sized reimagined MM or digital synth from Elektron of some sort.

Next up is experimenting with the workflow of sampling my Monologue and Analog Keys hooks into DT, to see if Rytm+DT would make a good combo for remixing my studio tracks (which consist of Rytm+AK+Monologue) in a traveling, live setting.
Iā€™ll test the summed mono (+ DT FX) versions of these recorded hooks against DAW edited dual .wav (L and R rendered independently) stereo imports with the Transfer app, using two tracks on the DT for stereo playback.
I need to determine if the more complex workflow to retain stereo information is worth losing the quick mangling of a sample on one track, and if the DT stereo FX + pan parameter trigless locks are enough to open up these mono recordings of synths.

Then next weekend, Iā€™ll see what the MIDI tracks are all about.

12 Likes

I just placed another preorder for the DT. This is my third time lol.

2 Likes

how about utilizing the ctl al function for editing stereo sample params? Could one use it like that?

Sure, if you p-lock those parameters on all other tracksā€™ trigs, then the others arenā€™t effected.

In the end I decided mono is fine on the DT, thanks to Pan LFO or Pan trigless trigs, and the stereo FX.

Even with the limitations, DT is awfully special.

4 Likes

Hi,
had someone tried to sample ā€œliveā€ vocals on DT?
Can it supplant a KP3?
thanks!

I think thatā€™s a good choice for you. Iā€™ve been missing a lot of things I really like when programming drum patterns lately such as being able to program triplets as well as standard 16th notes in the same track for the same sound. I also think being able to play multiple samples on any given track is a great workflow for easily/creatively programming chokes for more than just hi-hat sounds.

Another thing is Iā€™m really hoping that OB will allow me to use the DT as a stereo soundcard because I donā€™t have one right now, and that would be really useful for me. DT appears to have very capable ADCs.

1 Like

Hola.
I donā€™t have DT, had Kp3. Iā€™d say Kp3 can record a midi sync loop, DT canā€™t, for the moment.
Apparently the recording has to be assigned to a track after recording.

You have Octatrack, donā€™t you ?

Yes, I have OT, but all my inputs are fullā€¦I wanted to know if someone tried the flow on DTā€¦
Yes, on KP3 you can set how long you sample will be before recordingā€¦

I own an OT. As you know, OT doesnā€™t have sound card in it.
My plan is buying DT, and Iā€™ll put the output of OT into DT. Then my PC might recognize the sound from DT via overbridge software.
Here is my question, Does DT have the function like thru machine in OT??

:ooh: :rotating_light: :cb_e: :cb_r: :cb_r: :cb_o: :cb_r: :rotating_light: :cheeky:

6 Likes

I had Rc 505 slaved with Octatrack. Very long recordings possible (999 bars, up to 3 hours).
5 stereo tracks. Free to record different length.

I sold it because it was quite big, and to concentrate on Ot; maybe Iā€™ll buy a 2nd Ot if the Digitakt canā€™t act as a looper.
Rc 202 is smaller, 2 stereo tracks.

You donā€™t have a soundcard ?
To keep quality, you have to record in Ot.
Otherwise you have DA AD conversions.

We still goin for 10,000? :loopy:

2 Likes

when is this songmode update coming?

1 Like

You can record a loop, set it to loop and make a loop of 16 beats.

The for the next track (to mix in)
You keep that track empty

Now you can hear the loop; and mix in the new track like the kp3 does

With a looper you donā€™t have to edit anything after recording. :wink:
On my wishlist for Digitakt : looper ability, as the Octatrack.

1 Like

Indeed
And When preparing your set
You can create full songs
And then create one pattern with the loop

You dont need to loop live!
You can prepare
And have an audio loop for every song in one pattern

This will make it possible to mix from any tune to any tuneā€¦

1 Like

Has anyone had a go with using Digitakt to sequence VST plug-ins (via MIDI over USB) ?

Iā€™m wondering how it would fair with NI Monark, TAL 101, and TAL U NO LX with my Apogee Duet 2 (headphone out 3/4 sent back to DT for sampling the result. These plug-ins are all represented in one way or another in Rolandā€™s Boutique line, and Iā€™m trying hard to curb my appetite for them.

Fortunately my Qu Pac has track delay, so back syncing hardware like the DT with DAW plug-in output latency is a breeze.
But how is the sequencing experience with plug-ins, if anyone has gone down that route yet?

2 Likes