Introducing Digitakt

The overdrive is really nice for breaks and also reesey sounds (think I’ve got overdrive on 127 on all tracks so far - I’d maybe like a bit more gain!). I firstly tried using the start point function to line up different slices to trigger, but I got better results by loading it with pre sliced samples, and using p-locks to access different slices.

Anyway, it’s the tits. I’m not going to the pub for weeks.

5 Likes

Resample and run it thru again :japanese_ogre:

2 Likes

The overdrive is really nice. Very musical IMO.

1 Like

Ah nice idea chopping the breaks up before loading

Got mine last week, primarily as a way to augment my existing drum machine. I had a Korg Electribe Sampler before which drove me to distraction. I also have a Volca sample, which is lovely, but a bit too limited in some areas. I need to keep my OT running as a constant buffer recorder, mangler and general ombudsman of weirdness, so when I unpacked the DT it was with excitement, but primarily I saw it as a versatile way of getting layered samples going alongside my Drumbrute.

Plugged it in, sat down, put on my cans. Looked up at the clock, three hours had passed and I had three brand new loops sitting in memory, just from the internal sounds and plundering old folk records. One of the loops was even pretty good!

It’s incredibly immediate. I own / have owned a MNM, OT A4 and a Heat. I sometimes dream about sequencing on Elektron boxes (and boys, remember there’s nothing wrong with sequencing, in fact doctors recommend you do it everyday otherwise your sequencing dreams can get quite… granular). I can honestly say that for me, the DT is right up there with the Heat and the MNM with the highest fun to button push ratio. Don’t even get me started on the control all function with pattern reload and copy. That thing is a happy accident machine.

Also, and I hate to venture into the territory of audiophilia without doing a blind A/B test with the OT, but it sounds really, really good. Stuff that I’ve recorded from crappy YouTube videos, pitched down, and filtered, suddenly gets all gloopy and mysterious, in a way it never seems to be able to on the OT. The OT always seems to take my fiddling and say “Here, it’s all gone crunchy and lo-fi. Are you happy now?”

True there’s a lot you can’t do with it. And compared to a used OT, well… I love my OT - it can do so much. However, who remembers OT OS 1.0? It wasn’t anywhere as amazing as the current, finished, OS. In a couple of years the DT is going to be at a much higher level than now. It’s going to be an interesting ride.

12 Likes

18 posts were split to a new topic: Digitakt factory samples missing?

(EDIT : I was reading the quickstart guide, the manual answers all my questions, haha) :sweat_smile:
So guys I read the manual thouroughly and spent some time with the DT yesterday, and godamn it is such a fun instrument… I haven’t been saving anything, right now I am just on the learning process… I figured out most of the machine, but still haven’t touch on sampling.
But I think the manual is super incomplete, I couldn’t find:

• How to nudge a step out of grid,
  • How to create trigless locks (everytime I click and hold a step to parameter lock it sends a note info and I can’t seem to turn note off)
  • How to copy a pattern to another location. (Im pretty sure im just being dumb :smiley: )
  • How to audit a track when assinging to the pattern sample pool (found that one on cuckoo video)
  • What the trig conditions abreviations mean (that one HAS to be in the manual, I found that on the Cabinets of Curiosities RYTM video).
    …and a bunch of other questions I don’t remember, but I am sure I am just missing something basic, hence I spent only a couple of hours tweaking it and the discovery process is pretty enjoyable…

I will re-RTFM please don’t rant on me :blush:

1 Like

going by past elektron experience:

nudge: hold trig down, try pressing arrow right
copy pattern: func-copy with the record ‘light’ OFF (when it’s lit, a track is copied)

2 Likes

kiitos :smiley:

1 Like

Does anyone know a good midi hub?

There are a few midi thru boxes out there. I wish the Erica Synths one was easier to get a hold of (and a bit cheaper). Not sure this is what you were after.

http://www.ericasynths.lv/en/shop/standalone-instruments-1/midi-thru-box/

1 Like

Whooha! Mine arrives today, finally… just for the weekend!
Can’t hardly wait, this is going to be a long day at the office.
Great fun to read all those posts… both people who are new to Elektron as the ones who are already familiar with the magic of these machines.

To everybody who are still waiting for their DT to arrive, hopefully you will get it soon.

Happy DIGITAKTING!

3 Likes

I’m so jealous… I ordered in April & still waiting here in the UK

Not trying to be a d-ck here, but honestly all those things are definitely in the manual. Not sure about the first one, but everything else are things I’ve checked myself.

There was an updated version of the manual though, so perhaps check you’ve got that version?

My DT literally arrived this morning, sat next to me on my desk at work so I’ve not learned the answers to each question yet - otherwise I’d just tell you!

I ordered from G4M in April and cancelled yesterday to re-order from Juno when they got them in stock. It arrived this morning.

1 Like

THANK YOU ! I just realized i was reading the quick start guide. :horse:

5 Likes

Thanks @restlessboy - I started with Dawsons but they randomly put the expected date to end of June… so jumped ship to Andertons a month ago, they are saying end of this week. But its not the first time the dates have been changed… fingers crossed…

Also would love to hear some youtube vids with people putting some classic samples in there or vinyl etc… :smiley:

damn Elektron magic that is. we always complain in the first place and when its out we are like kids jumping around a christmas tree, eagerly waiting to open our present! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Let’s keep it vaguely on topic or even related to an on topic post … there’s also plenty of chat about midi hubs in other threads … guidelines :thup:

As mentioned earlier, these things are indeed in the manual. They can be found here:

• How to nudge a step out of grid - 10.3 MICRO TIMING MENU
  • How to create trigless locks - 10.2.1-3 TRIG TYPES, RECORDING MODES
  • How to copy a pattern to another location. - 10.11.5 COPY, PASTE AND CLEAR OPERATIONS
  • How to audit a track when assigning to the pattern sample pool. 15.2.1 LOADING A SAMPLE (Previewing the sample before loading it to the project.)
  • What the trig conditions abbreviations mean - 10.11.2 CONDITIONAL LOCKS

The User Manual is not as incomplete as the Quick Guide, but maybe a bit hazy in places :yum: Let me know if anything there needs clarification and I will have a look at it for the next update of the manual.

9 Likes