Introducing Digitakt

Silly question time. Terrible with reading manuals off my phone so pardon if this is in there. I’m not able to save a pattern, currently get an N/A: write protected warning. The pattern stays there in that slot but I’m afraid to fiddle too much once I get to a spot I like.

Did you clear the demo pattern and start from there? It’s write protected.

You can lock and unlock patterns

1 Like

I should really print this manual out. Thank you for the direction.

1 Like

What is the DT not coming up as a sound card?
Thats pretty silly, bizarre

He says he can, no ?

It’s unfortunate that your function button got marked … it’s probably important to say that the pliers and protective tape thing is about ‘feel’ … and it may well be more difficult with the profile shape of those buttons … it’s a broad plier that i’d go for and i’d double tape with insulating tape which has more compliance and grip, then it’s patience and feel … I’ve no idea if this would work so easily with the newer button caps (very easy on the dark trinity style), the support response seems to be that it would be okay … however, the reason for posting … i’d not recommend a strategy that involves inserting anything in and under the cap, there are a number of reasons … tbh, if the issue was indeed proving this tricky on a handful of the first run i’d ask support to supply a pair of replacement caps and i’d carefully superglue something to grip on the top of the misplaced ones to pull them off … as before, before doing anything, have a chat with support, they are the only authority on this stuff, I’m just chipping in again as I brought up the taped/pliers above (probably should have stipulated a broad plier, and the importance of trusting your ‘feel’ when trying carefully to get purchase on the sides)

I’m sure Simon posted above that they’d sort you out if anything didn’t work out as a result of this assembly error (i guess some folk won’t have pliers and so on, maybe the caps don’t offer much of a side to grip on anyway) so maybe you can get a replacement sent for your dented function button

I like the jamming videos more. It’s not about the sound as much as it is about seeing the workflow possibilities. Tutorials are cool for more advanced stuff of course.

1 Like

Yes. I see it records from midi controller 1 note at a time (Mono) but I don’t think it will record poly (chords) from midi controller.
I think you have to add the extra notes per step…

I could be wrong and hope I am.

My Digitakt won’t be her till middle of June. :confused:

that’s the modern times… everything needs to be separate track … because I can then later tweak this and that

What if you use your creativity and just finish it in the box?

Is the DT usable with one hand, like if I’m playing an instrument (guitar, drums, keyboard) and want to edit/start/stop patterns in real time? Or are most operations two-handed? I’d set up most of the patterns/sounds beforehand but would want to make modifications during the song.

This is good news.
I preordered but I’m told it will be another 2 weeks till I get mine. Hopefully any bugs will be resolved by then.

So far I’m happy from what I’ve seen by the demos on YouTube.

I’m asking because I read somewhere that you had to stop the machine to sample… can someone confirm this? can you send a MIDI track with a chord to a synth, and sample it without stopping the machine to transpose it as a sample?

You can perfectly sample on the fly.

Once you’re done with sampling, you hit “yes” button.
This cuts the monitoring of the inputs.
Maybe this was what you read.

2 Likes

I have a noob question.

I’m reading that with overbridge MIDI over USB is possible. Does that mean that I could plug the DT into one of the USB ports of the MPC Live and record MIDI into the MPC, and then manipulate the recorded MIDI notes from the MPC? Or audio tracks are the only way?

The Digitakt is about the size of a hand and most things can be done with one hand. There are a couple things that require you to hold the function key and turn a knob.

2 Likes

I really hope they can find a workaround for the 127-sample limit… I think Cenk hinted at the possibility in the Cuckoo, or maybe it was another one… it would make much sense to have a limit defined by the 64mb limit per project
also curious about seeing loading time in between two full projects

1 Like

I love to jam as much as the next guy, but there is an art to a mixdown too, & unless they put some EQ’s & compressors, flangers, inside the Digitakt :smiley:

3 Likes

+1.
increase sample amount limit per project.

128 samples for 128 patterns is crazy low.

it’s still workable with, but it just means more workarounds. it would be nice to be able to fit a whole album in a project. so it will just mean using a few projects.

that’s grand, but the less limits within its total memory the better.

2 Likes

My Volca Sample can store 100 samples. 128 is definitely very low.

1 Like

phew, here - found it! https://youtu.be/0xHMWyAnoLk?t=26m1s

asking about the 128 sample-limit:

“I can say 128 […] but we’re thinking about something for that that I can’t really say now - there could be a change there that wich I hope that there will be”

fingers crossed :stuck_out_tongue: that is possibly my main concern about the machine