Introducing Digitakt

so are the stereo inputs summed to mono? also a mono violin is only half as sad…

OLEDs have pluses and minuses. I am a bit worried about lifetime for devices that I plan to keep for a long time but sufficiently worried to keep me from buying synths having OLED displays. They are bright and have decent view angle but have color shift problems off axis at higher angles. This is probably a bigger issue for content shown on phones and tablets than for a synth display.

it only has send fx… not insert fx - meaning, delay and reverb as returns on the master output, not per track

its fairly basic but it seems to be meant as an accompany unit to pair with others

2 Likes

That crossfade would be the thing to make me buy

How many midi parameters do you get per channel?

I keep hearing it’s a great companion to the Analog Heat. Maybe it’ll also have a monster stereo digital effects processor to complement AH’s analog effects. Or maybe Cenk’s a good salesman. :smile: He did mention that there are other things that he couldn’t disclose.
I think the new form factor and hardware looks great. It looks like a good template for future digital products.

The only thing that kept me from keeping the Volca Sample, was the lack of continuity. Couldn’t export tracks.

I’m just gonna go ahead and assume this is as awesome, and more.

2 Likes

I think this is a good analysis! I think they are aiming for something versatile that works for synth users, studios but also guitarists! If we look at the form factor one of those “guitar drum machines” comes to mind. And with live sampling capability = win for guitarists. Probably live looping as well.

yeh it reminds me of the roland SP series for sure

Seems like if you have OT you might want this for conditional trigs. If you have rytm you might want this for onboard sampling. If you’re looking for a midi sequencer with conditional trigs etc it might be cool (depending on polyphony per track in my case). Makes the whole thing seem kind of ‘grey area’ in terms of GAS for me. Def seems mostly aimed at people without Elektron boxes already.

I read someone saying no scene/performance features. But it does resample. How about slicing? If so is it comparable to OT functionality here?

For me it’s pretty meh on paper so far. It’s nice in a way but backward/treading water/sideways step. All existing features on other boxes. Hoping for something more interesting on horizon. Or maybe they’ll release more info that shows this to have some unique stuff going on…

Mpc Pre-ordered…

1 Like

Which in the case of the AR actually correspond to analog engines.

i doubt it does slicing… but i bet you can PLock the sample start position… which is basically the same thing in effect…
so yes and no

it seems designed to be a one-shot sampler… why else would they put names like “kick” “snare” etc. on the pads themselves?

elektron MIDI is definitely cool but again I need to be able to input/record chords and so forth, also id prefer more flexibility with CCs and arps and LFOs and so forth

if elektron made a dedicated MIDI sequencer, like MIDI only, that would be rad… like an elektron version of something like the pyramid or cirklon or whatever… thats my most-wanted elektron device for real

3 Likes

I’m still reserving judgment though. I think there is still potential for there to be some magic workflow baked into its design. It all really comes down to how fast/easy the sampling and sample editing processes are. If a lot of thought was put into how spontaneously and immediately some people want to be able to get found sounds into the unit, and manipulate them intuitively, the streamlined feature set might be totally worth it for the sake of an amazing workflow.

4 Likes

Who? Is that someone from the DT family?
You know, the orange DT?

1 Like

The problem with these ‘teaser’ campaigns is that it invites existing users to speculate and hope for all the things they want. Like many people, I was hoping for a fully featured main machine to bring the OT concept up to date. The OT was the high water mark of Elektron innovation and it’s sad to find myself already speaking of it in the past tense. The new machine looks great for people who haven’t already invested in the expensive Elektron gear but for those who do have, I don’t know, it’s kind of annoying.

6 Likes

After talking to a buddy of mine we came back to the conclusion that this Digitakt indeed has digi osc available regardless of what was said by CENK. Even he admitted that he has yet to play with it. Too many clues like the fact it says Digital drum machine and sampler, a button under the F encoder that says SRC, the fact that track buttons 1 through 8 are labeled by percussion type (that is not normal for a sample only machine) and on the bottom lefthand corner of the OLED its says TRK01 SMP highlighted. this implies more machine types to choose from. Honestly either CENK is keeping info close to the vest or he really doesn’t know. Knowing Electron they don’t want too much info leaked yet. If this was sample only, why call it digital drum machine and not Digital sample machine?

6 Likes

it’s basically just a Simplified OT for people that use the OT as a one shot, sample based drum machine. It seems like this would be great for live use. small enough to fit on top of a keyboard, midi sequencing, drums…a lot simpler and more focused than using OT for this purpose, and with a pricetag that’s a lot friendlier than the OT for new Elektron users. Not in the market for this personally (have OT, Rytm, and AK currently), but if this would have come out 5 years ago I would have gladly bought this instead of the OT. I think its going to be a hit and I’m really into this new compact/affordable direction Elektron is moving in.

3 Likes

I really hope you’re right.

1 Like

It would make way more sense and have way more appeal. Weird for them not to mention it tho if it does have an engine on board. Surely that’s like 50% of the product selling point/functionality :confused:

I agree, I think everything about it might be intentionally vague right now because it’s still undecided. This thing may well ship with a drum synth onboard.

1 Like

Maybe when you’re using midi track it just says TRK01 Midi? Like that’s the reason it’s specified there?