Introducing Digitakt

Haha, old habits…

Good news that it just looks like the old feel :slight_smile:

Ah shit. Why did i have to watch those two new videos…

It looks great fun to play and while I appreciate the sound is sample driven I did like an awful lot of what I was hearing.

The “modern” features makes this a tough decision between this, 2nd hand OT and MPC Live

2 Likes

Audio in over USB is a great feature, save the line ins for another source if you are bulk sampling on your desk, good thinking.

2 Likes

good question - you can probably just reload the pattern, tho I didn’t bump into the key combo for that yesterday!

2 Likes

so dope!

Excellent, thank you so much!
Great news!

Hmmmm, the ‘control all’ on this looks boring and predictable IMO. The bulk of the gold that comes out of CTRL ALL function on the MachineDrum is largely due to the fact that you have up to 16 different machines that don’t share a common parameter on the same dial across all loaded machines, where the results of using CTRL ALL are unpredictable and often fascinating. On this, you already know what it’s going to sound like before you turn the dial as it’s exactly the same parameter on the same dial across all tracks. I wonder if this feature works on midi tracks?

1 Like

I’ve been searching but not finding, if the DigiTakt can be played chromatically from a keyboard? If I hook up a Yamaha Reface, for example, can I play the samples from that keyboard, chromatically? Not just trigger them, but actually … oh, you get it.

Can I?

Pretty please?

No, you’re absolutely right. Though when it comes to the Octatrack, I think you can’t play the samples chromatically from the keyboard. So there’s that precedent.

I just want to know, that’s all. I’ll get one anyway, even put up my OT for sale now, I’m just excited about the prospects and am already building a new rig in my head.

Hahahahaha. ‘oh let’s not speak about how rad something ‘could’ be. Oh no no no! Stick to the facts m’am’. Just suggestions dude, no one is saying they’re entitled to anything…

Edit - and until it’s released no one knows what it does/doesn’t have. Maybe it already has arpeggio? Do you know?

4 Likes

You can use an external keyboard to chromatically play samples on the OT, albeit only over two octaves.

2 Likes

I stand corrected. And I like it.

4 Likes

I think it’s less about wanting feature x or feature y in the machine, I just want to know what limitations have been intentionally put into the machine just to prevent product overlap (as they are wont to do). So far this product seems pretty fearless in terms of product overlap.

I really applaud the chromatic sampling, I’ve been begging for better chromatic support on the OT since it first came out. That’s really generous for Elektron considering that it’s labelled as a drum computer. As @andreasroman said, I’d like to hook up an external keyboard for melody recording.

I also really applaud the simplicity and immediacy of this machine. It knows what it is and gives you a pretty fun playground to explore.

Really wish they’d reconsider adding a song mode, if we’re talking about precedents being set. Again, feels like intentional crippling to prevent overlap, but hey, that’s just the way I see it.

3 Likes

When weighing generosity its prob a good idea to look at the price of something and the competition. Not what it’s called :wink:

Why wouldnt this be possible, unit has midi in for external control.

1 Like

Midi track stuff I hope to see:
Playable in chromatic mode
Arpeggiator
One note chord
Generate random sequence
Trig conditions / probability
Rotate / shift sequence L/R
Slide / glide

Do we know if the pads are velocity sensitive?

EDIT
repeat/ratchet would be good too

EDIT 2
step modes EG forward, backward, pendulum, random, brownian

guess track shifting is in there - haven’t tried.
haven’t bumped into slide/mute/accent per trig tbh, and not seen it demo’d - so not sure, but guess it’s there?

but certainly no arp and no sequence generator.
there’s no pads, just buttons - no velocity.

2 Likes

I’m just saying it would have been really easy for them to leave such a powerful feature out because as it stands this feels more in the feature-set ballpark of a Fairlight CMI. Other than the designation on the box and the drum labels on the pads, there’s nothing about this that is explicitly a drum machine. It’s almost strange for them to call it a drum machine. Just trying to figure out where the “catch” is. I guess the things that are a dealbreaker for other people aren’t a dealbreaker for myself. Monophonic tracks are fun and I don’t care that they aren’t stereo.

If you want to hear what can be done with only FOUR monophonic monaural tracks then listen to Amiga music. Amazing stuff.

The fact that they let you switch waves per step unlocks this machine in so many exciting ways.

5 Likes

I think some of the pressure is from us sure, but the real pressure is surely coming from the company. In that respect, they have to get it out ASAP. And if the graphics etc don’t make it, we have to wait.

Refer, ‘more products than we will ever believe’: