Introducing Digitakt

OT2 or an evolution of the OT concept is a fine thing to desire but OT already does so much more than i can use it for or have the skill to use is probably more accurate.
All i could wish for is a device that makes certain techniques easier. Now the community has found certain ways/workarounds and techniques its more of a known quantity what people and the machine are capable of.
So a machine that taps into this creativity and makes it easier is all i would ask for.

:sweat_smile:

Yea i am really wondering about the midi capabilities on the DT as well like dose it have Arpeggio,0-3 x LFO per track, dose it have the ability to control CCā€™s and p lock em ?. I know Trig conditions will cover tempo division per track no problem.

What ive read so far is that the DT will be able to to Handel 4 note cords per track and have trig conditions.

I dont pre order because i know ever little details of the midi. I am pretty sure it will have many midi capabilities when details are released but id like to know before i buy. it also helps to have the OT already toā€¦

Anyone had experience with ā€˜That Soundā€™ drum sample packs in the past? Not sure if that is an update to the :3lektron: DT page, this talk of preloaded samples from these guys in Tennessee.

I think Iā€™ve made a mistake preordering when I know I want the AR and OT to go with my A4 and MD and soon AH. I know there are perks to having the DT but is it worth the purchase with such mystery surrounding the truths of its functionalities. And of course the Elektron delegates who respond in this forum are all positive, we are their market, we loved their past products so much we are their cult followers. Iā€™m just scared I put my money toward something I should have used it for in one of the other boxes. Itā€™s paid for already. Just waiting for that delivery day. What do yā€™all think? Did I mess up?

1 Like

No way to tell if you dropped the ball.
Donā€™t forget you are well within your rights to cancel or return it!
If you came this far you may as well dig in and wait, pulling out now could be bittersweet if itā€™s a Grandslam.
Those other boxes arenā€™t going anywhere just yet.

I think Iā€™ve made a mistake preordering when I know I want the AR and OT to go with my A4 and MD and soon AH. I know there are perks to having the DT but is it worth the purchase with such mystery surrounding the truths of its functionalities. And of course the Elektron delegates who respond in this forum are all positive, we are their market, we loved their past products so much we are their cult followers. Iā€™m just scared I put my money toward something I should have used it for in one of the other boxes. Itā€™s paid for already. Just waiting for that delivery day. What do yā€™all think? Did I mess up?

Twice. :wink:
If you want Ot and Ar anyway maybe you messed up.

2 Likes

MD, A4, AH, AR, OT, DTā€¦
DT would be nice next to AH but thatā€™s a lot of gear !

maybe the real digitakt was the friends we made along the way.

13 Likes

I know I messed up when I traded my MnM for an A4. I regretted at first but Iā€™m starting to like the A4 and have found the FM in it. The sequencer is more capable than what I was used to. Hopefully DT will be a keeper with no regrets later like I experienced with the loss of MnM.

Iā€™m sure it will be solid gear, if not innovative, at least an update to some older ideas but implemented in a more ableton live friendly environment.

I know what you mean. However you are losing the main point when you focus on the technical small detailed stuff. it is the way Elektron goes. All you said is right, but it doesnā€™t mean Elektron is gonna launch OT2. What I mean is the concept of OT2 is gone after the birth of DT when thinking of the time period for launching new products. Also considering mpc live and pioneer torize, not launching OT2 for competing with those OT similar products, OT2 is never gonna happen. Think about it, if you were Elektron are you gonna make OT2 after customers already bought mpc live or torize, which all have very similar functionality?? Whoā€™s gonna buy it?? not gonna lucrative at all.

Bit the biggest I see is the sudden turn to put us back in a daw environment. Im sure most of us do what we do on these machines because we have gotten away from daw. That was the major draw for me to the Elektron name in the first place. And here we are, being force fed features that expand the capabilities of the hardware, which isnā€™t what we wanted. Innovative would have been to expand on the existing sample management of the OT and AR. Iā€™m afraid this is a step backwards. If it just had one of the things we would have expected in a new box.

1 Like

Iā€™d say for sure but it would be a real improvement if it could plock Prog Changes at any step.

1 Like

A step backward compared to OT and I hope a step forward compared to AR, the genetic father.
I love my OT+A4 Elektron couple (A4 does AM, not real FM).
I hope DT will be more exotic than the actual known specs. I use lfos on OT to emulate midi conditional trigs but on DT it will be very easy and creative, for sure.

1 Like

I think everyone forgot that the Digitakt is an entry-level device. Comparing to the Octatrack and Analog Rytm is kind of unfair. Iā€™m sure DTā€™s a well thought out machine and contains DNA of the OT and AR but its also made to be different than the rest with its own workflow at half the cost.

I am aware that users here own an OT and AR and the DT could be redundant in their set-ups so maybe a little wait after release with real feedback and reviews to help with that decision. But like I said, its an entry-level machine and aimed at new customers that never touched the Elektron brand (like me).

1 Like

Hey Lemons,
It is certainly a generalization and not a hard rule for sure. In truth, you could argue that Behringer are using the complete reverse tactic in Uliā€™s recent press releases messaging ā€œtons of cheap clones coming, mini moog for $450ā€ I think he is using these early ā€œdeclarations of intentā€ as very astute market research coupled with early hype. He can look at social media and with good data and an eye for the market, he can get a good sense of manufacturing numbers, he can use that data to ā€œsell inā€ to big retailers like Guitar Center and Sweetwater so they commit to buy quantity, he kinda stomps on the competitors a bit (Iā€™m sure announcing an Oberheim OB8 clone would not help DSI OB6 sales for instance, if that happened) and finally he can commit to advance bulk buying of silicone to build his product with max margin. But his innovations are really about price point and this tactic may not translate to marketing a more ground breaking feature or technology.
Yes there are examples of crowd sourced feature prioritization in products too, ā€œvote for your new feature and weā€™ll build itā€ TBH Iā€™d be really keen for Elektron to put up some key feature requests for crowd funding if resources are focused elsewhereā€¦ Iā€™d pay $100 for a OT software update that gave it MIDI conditional trigsā€¦ Elektron??? new way to super-serve customers and maybe make some extra $$

Anyway, Iā€™m sure there are other examples of ā€œsharing road-mapā€ being a good thing for customers and companies, but in the majority of cases, it is in the best interest of companies developing new hardware and software to keep their product road-map to themselves until the product launch cycle. The reasons for doing this are many, and range from patents being developed, cost of sourcing components, competitors copying ideas or developing competing product strategies and of course keeping potential buyers interested in buying the product from announce to release. The most successful product launches in history have been apple iPhone, they have managed to accrue anticipation and excitement around their secrecy a double win for them.

Hope this helps

1 Like

And I donā€™t even use ableton, lol

Iā€™m really just looking at the product as it relates to my workflow. Honestly the lack of conditional trigs is my major gripe with the OT. DT is supposed to have this functioning on audio and midi tracks and while the midi sequencer is likely not without its limitations (your OT list is spot on), Iā€™m comfortable with these limitations when Iā€™m writing. I do have Cubase and Ableton, an MPC or even a Doepher MAQ16/3 so Iā€™m not without other sequencing options, but I love the workflow in ā€œElektron worldā€ and think this will work for me.
I guess Iā€™ll tell you if my trust was well placed in May when mine arrives!

1 Like