Introducing Digitakt

Superbooth is not in Funkhaus this year :wink:

hmmm, Elektron dont seem to be at Messe. Superbooth seems like next show for Elektron?
hope we soon have some vids and impression, its getting nearer and nearer ā€¦

And 4 me its allabout choosing DT or Octa ā€¦

A second hand Ot can be cheaper.
DT advantages : simplicity, condionnals trigs, Overbridge.
The Ot is stereo, and you can control up to 240 parameters with the crossfader.
With 3 lfos per track (audio and midi), you can make kind of conditional things, combined with one-shot trigs.
Powerfull sampling and resampling capabilities, with different sources, rec trigs, overdubā€¦
Much more Fx.
4 ins, 4 outs.
Slicesā€¦

4 Likes

OT doesnā€™t have direct jump or the conditional trigs like you mentioned.

If the sampling on the DT is more streamlined than the OT. Cross fader or not, the DT seems a better choice for someone like me who likes to keep things simple.

I seriously canā€™t even plan ahead 3 seconds to trigger a new pattern. Itā€™s the kind of thing I have to do in the moment. I get confused really easily. My musics super simple like that :slight_smile:

1 Like

Crazy, Elektron not at Messe aye.

theyā€™re often at sonar in barcelona too , mid june , though its not usually launching product , just a showcase for existing stuff .

Overbridge on the DT is nice to have. The lack of Overbridge for OT makes me not want to get an OTā€¦ I wonder if they have a new OT planned =/ So hard to plan a studio setup when every company is so secretive about product roadmap.

I donā€™t think I will get a DT because it seems to me like there will be a more fully featured sampler coming out soon. The DT is just missing so much that would have made so much sense to put in there and the only way i can explain that is that thereā€™s another box coming and the DT is basically just the first step towards a OT redesign.
Iā€™d be bummed to have to sell the DT at a loss just to get something new again.

1 Like

New Demo Yet?? Oh, please.

1 Like

Iā€™m bummed about the sampling capabilities that has been confirmed. But whoā€™s to say these absent features canā€™t be added in a os updates? Look at the updates they gave us with all of the past boxes. Its a trend they do. They keep giving us futures in is updTes until it runs out of room to expand any further. It is odd the lack of info or demos on this one. Maybe they havenā€™t finished it and are polishing it until the release.

Just my positive hopes I guess.

I have had an OT for just over a year. It is something I use everyday now, itā€™s an awesome instrument. While Iā€™m sure that there are going to be great new sampling devices from Elektron and probably others, many will probably have better specifications; for me, I think the OT will always be useful, just like my Mini Moog.
WRT to Overbridge, I have 3 other Elektron devices all Overbridge enabled, and while OB is handy for tracking and some midi setup stuff on the Analog Keys, the more I use my Elektron gear the less I use my computer, especially in the writing stage. Anyway, I guess the point on the OT is that if you embrace it for what it is, including its limitations it is a very rewarding instrument.
Iā€™m buying a DT because of its more advanced MIDI sequencing capabilities (than the OT) and to take over some of the sample stuff Iā€™m currently doing on my Analog Rytm, its a clear fit in my current workflow, based on spec.
Trying to second guess product roadmap is just going to give you indigestion! They have to be secretive to be competitive, that unlikely to change.
Good luck

3 Likes

you can do 8 bar on trig config so yea 64 bar is possibleā€¦

I wouldnā€™t be too optimistic. I bought a rytm in that mindset and they have not added, what I expected to be an absolute addition, the basic midi out function. Further, theyā€™ve stated they never will.
Not trying to say youā€™re wrong or itā€™s bad being positive but thinking like this may very well bum you out

3 Likes

Care to elaborate? Why does being competitive require secrecy?

1 Like

Itā€™s just the conditional trigs confirmed on DT that are missing on OT right? Is everything on OT midi tracks sequencer included on DT? If not Iā€™m not sure Iā€™d agree with the above sequencer appraisal. I rarely use my OT to sequence midi but if IIRC some things that DT midi sequencer ā€˜mightā€™ lack in comparison -

Arpeggio
3 x LFO per track
tempo division per track (Dunno if im accurate on this, I remember OT sequencer doing ā€˜somethingā€™ that I hit a wall on in my AK a couple of times and found it wasnā€™t there. Might have been something else kind of similar related to track length/tempoā€¦ Maybe someone else can confirm/clear up).
Arranger

Maybe these are all on DT. Maybe not. Kinda ridiculous how little info is available with pre-orders open etc.

Also the octatrack midi is 4-voice paraphonic, not polyphonic. All notes in a chord start and end at the same time, and all those notes have the same velocity. Dunno if DT will be the same. But if so and I had OT and was looking for further midi sequencing with polyphony in mind, Iā€™d prob also look at pyramid, es2 or mpc to cover more bases missing from the OT midi sequencer. Conditional trigs can be faked easier than some of this other stuffā€¦

Elektron need to spill the beans on this thing so people know what theyā€™re discussing/buying. So much guesswork atmā€¦

4 Likes

I donā€™t think so. Look at the Analog Heat, which is a kind of complement to the existing Electron gears. It seems that this is the way Electron goes these days. Like so, DT is like for OT, which lacks tracks for drums and OB compatibility. So, OT + DT combination works like OT2. I donā€™t think they are gonna release OT2 like you said any time soon. In addition to the reasons I said above, and customers who need OT2, would have bought AKAI stuff at the future time they maybe release OT2 like you anticipated.

1 Like

@elektron, can the DT send samples back to the AR via midi or USB midi?

2 Likes

Superbooth is the new Meet & Greet to be!

Elektron showcase is official announced on the Superbooth website and me personally looking forward to meet Cenk there :slight_smile:

anyone else is going too? Maybe we can organize a little ā€œElektronauts & Beerā€ Meet up :smiley:

3 Likes

I get your point, but not really making a lot of sense to meā€¦

DT having OB for separate tracks recording doesnā€™t magically fix that ommision on OT. And DT in itself is nothing like OT really without scenes, parts and separate physical outputs for pedals etc etc. Two totally separate boxes, neither really ā€˜fixesā€™ the issues/ommision of the other, combining to give you OT2. Theyā€™re both cool boxes in their own right, but Itā€™s like saying ā€˜buying one car with no wheels and buying a set of wheels that donā€™t fit on the car, gives you a whole carā€™, it doesnā€™t :wink:

anyone know if the DT is likely to do Program Change messages?