Introducing Digitakt

Cool thanks for that, so I gather you can sample ala mduw, in a monomachine on one input and say an A4 on the other input, maybe on different tracks? Or maybe it’s nothing like the mduw concept…at all

1 Like

Thank you very much @PlayRecords

3 Likes

Question, can the midi and audio channels play on top of each other like the OT or is it one or the other?

Both, 8 audio and 8 midi, just like the OT…
8 internal and 8 external simultaneously.

On the MD you can have 16 tracks with a mixture of synthesis and midi, user configurable…

1 Like

Thanks for the reply man

Yeah i own the md too

exactly … mojo … playable, responsive, focussed
often less is far more … take e.g. the Monotribe

thanks for posting info up

3 Likes

Monotribe = >£150 used :wink: vs £700+ for digitakt.

‘Focussed’ should equal more affordable than this in digital boxes these days?

1 Like

it would be great if the DT had timestretchinz and more but I’m sure it’ll work really well as is. I really like the sound produced in the teasers.

did they say the midi channels will have some kind of polyphony?

Maybe… I’m sure it will be a mixture related to what they’ve learned from the past in one form or another. Seems like they (don’t) intend on competing to much with anything new or old.

The cost is whatever it is, … it’s a very high quality product made in sweden
everyone has to cut their cloth to suit, too spendy for me and not that appealing (as an AR owner un-fussed by sample side), but there is no point in debating it … if it doesn’t sell, maybe the price will change, but I doubt that very much

I like their direction, the OT may be special, but it’s not got mojo for me, it’s too close to being like a computer in depth under the surface … the A4/R are just right imho … the DT looks like it will be even more immediate, as ever ymmv

2 Likes

I agree, I love the direction they’re goin refining their interface and immediacy. really lookin forward to seeing how they apply that to their future flagship boxes too, I’d say they’ll be dope :slight_smile:

1 Like

Aww brother I didn’t mean to hurt anyone’s feelings - i mean we’re grown men talking about machines on the internet right?

Your scoop was much appreciated and thanks for posting - I don’t think anyone is suggesting they wanna buy a vintage sampler - just tracing these features back through sampling history is interesting as is asking “what new shit are Elektron bringing that hasn’t been around since the 1980’s”.

And It’s okay for the answer to be “the sequencer”.

As you were, men.

Indeed I miss my octa in that it was unique however going down the rabbit hole on every beat (it’s almost rude not too) is not productive for how I want to work at the minute.

DT is an elektron product init, and they are usually (not) like everything (anything?) els. Whether that be good or bad for one or another is preference… but accept it we must… : )

1 Like

Well I don’t know who’s a man and who’s a woman, my cats like to join in here too brother. ; )

It is indeed a conversation about an unreleased machine and I posted some facts, my reply was to a user who re quoted you and questioned why it’s a big deal… I honestly didn’t mean to make out it was. :sunny:
Nothing to worry about… I’m glad you appreciate it tho.
It’s a lovely day outside here, might get some sunshine. Cheers.

1 Like

Does anyone of you knows if there is a swing function inside?

1 Like

Dude, it’s a metal case, a few knobs and buttons, little oled display, a few in/out, small memory and a seemingly ‘not capable of "too’" much’ processor. If Elektron haven’t learned how to source this stuff cheap by now then they need to get some help in :wink: No offence but peeps need to be less gullible to apple style ‘it’s by us so it’s worth it’ kind of capitalist BS.

People need to ask questions, or at least not encourage/validate/justify it by using ‘it’s Elektron’, as a reason for price. Same goes for all companies…

8 Likes

Yes, there is.

3 Likes

Get the argument and don’t view this as an Elektron fanboy jumping to their defence but I’d imagine economies of scale cause absolutely gigantic swings in margins in the music industry.

Take Behringer’s Deepmind 12 for example. I have no idea on the financials/KPIs but I would think that had Elektron released an identical unit it would have a few hundred added on top. Everything from R&D through to production will inevitably be more expensive for companies of Elektron’s (or smaller) size.

Where I typically struggle to accept premium prices is with Moog and DSI. Again, scale comes in to it but the UK asking price for, say, a new Tempest is outrageous! And again, I suspect this will be an area that Behringer will stomp on in with their budget range.

I do agree with the sentiment around “but it’s Elektron so it must be good” though.

1 Like

Yep, tempest is overpriced. pisses me off that :slight_smile:

tho i gather Arturia are a small company too, and if ya look at the drumbrute what you get for €450 is remarkable.
So it can be done.

innit

3 Likes

Yeah good point. It’s pure speculation but I’d imagine all the OS/digital stuff (and that robust sequencer) takes some serious coding, R&D, etc etc. It all adds up. Plus Arturia has a stinking reputation for quality control.

I guess all companies will have their own KPI’s to target. Who knows really. But outside of relocating to somewhere more cost effective I don’t think there’s much to be done. I don’t ever get the sense that Elektron are purposefully ripping people off. Or, at least, I didn’t until the OB thing came along haha. But even then, there will be logical business reasons to support that decision/model.

1 Like