Introducing Digitakt II

When did you place your order? Meaning the time on the 24th.

it’s just occurred to me, why had they made it mono sample initially? there was some processing magic i thought related to it. did they give up the initial idea behind Digitakt?

this sounds like a ā€œElemtron lost their wayā€ thread but i’m genuinely curious how the product design process works in this field. it’s now sold like a big new feature, but if DT had stereo from the start no one would bat an eye

so, is this a step backwards from some sort of planned concept that didn’t go well and hence just following the market dictation?

1 Like

Analog Rytm MKI DNA.
Mono analog tracks with mono samples. Less RAM use.

4 Likes

I just ordered one. Couldn’t resist any longer. It has all the features I was hoping for exactly.

Expensive though…

I’m most excited about SIXTEEN TRACKS as I always ran out on the original, and KITS is going to be so super sweet.

1 Like

Just copying the OT sample lib (stereo) to the computer and from there to DT2. OT sample transfer (card mode USB) is much quicker. Will see how timestretching and other stuff compare soundwise. Lost an hour with the OT - thatā€˜s a rap battle machine. The 4 parts per pattern are genius (plus fader settings). Can’t record directly. Will post examples tomorrow.

DT1 was/is ostensibly a drum machine/ or ā€˜drum computer’, so the focus on mono (and until fairly recently only one-shot) samples was pretty logical within that paradigm

8 Likes

Was going to write something similar.

Been lurking a long time. Time to get on the hype train. Have a Digitone I’ve been using for a few years, and its new friend has now been ordered. This will be my first sampler and I’m stoked. I’ve had more fun with my Digitone than I did in years of DAW use, and I’m willing to be the DTII will do the same. Going from four tracks and 64 steps to 16 and 128 sounds amazing. And now sampling stereo synth work from my Digitone. Heck yeah.

17 Likes

that makes sense. but DT was released in '17 so it wasn’t a real issue back then

so what changed then if the product placement is the same? if it’s not, why?

1.50 (machines, werp - kind of timestretching, grid mode - kind of slice mode)

updated my post, thanks)

Feature requests.

1 Like

so then ā€œthe market theoryā€. not like it’s a bad thing, just wonder what was the real bet on Elektron side initially

Is it? It is much more than the original concept. That’s why people consider upgrading. It goes now pretty far into conservative OT territory (time stretched stereo loops, comb filter, dong mode etc.) Will see what else will come.

3 Likes

Speculation. Make a new dark trinity for people who could or would not afford AR+A4+OT, perhaps. Or make us collect them all. Who knows :slight_smile:

1 Like

I didn’t find this one yet, mind to elaborate? :rofl:

16 Likes

:sweat_smile::joy::rofl: typo, but funny.

2 Likes

it’s still not comparble to OT by any means so it’s definitely a diffrernt niche product. i agree that it can be an all-purpose-sampler now though after update for some.
to me, it’s whether was a silly limitatilon due to tech/other reasons as sezare pointed out for example, or a concept which they gave up upon due to market pressure

it’s a great tool nevertheless

Limitations are liberating. Made much more and better stuff with DT and OP-1 than with anything else.

6 Likes

So I’m not sure if anyone has actually said this yet, but as a previous (5 times) Octatrack owner, I am very happy with the DT2. Besides a few small things, it pretty much fills the gap I had without the OT in my rig. The few things it is missing from the OT, it makes up for with other stuff well enough.

So yes, a former Octatrack owner is happy.

Now if they release an OTmk3 that fixes all my original problems, I’ll be pissed.

3 Likes