Introducing Analog Heat +FX

It is not possible to flash a MK2 with +FX firmware. If you could, it would brick your unit and you would have to send it to Elektron HQ for repair. The HW around the CPU is different.

18 Likes

i can have a field-day with a metronome click, or even just its noise generator in the WARBLE block

I curse myself a lot lately for not recording this ā€˜experimentingā€™ some stuff just sounds so right, because you can shape and tame the harmonics so much from so very little, itā€™s a no input device, no need to position ā€˜properlyā€™ in the chain as thereā€™s no chain needed to get results (if you like noise/textures and tinnitus :troll: )

Yet, it still isnā€™t for everyone, nothing is, some ubiquitous iconic instruments are not for me ā€˜pumpingā€™ is not for me (except when i have a flat) - iā€™ve a lot of these ā€˜multiā€™ effects and some have easier character settings - but in the context of the whole package the AHFX has a satisfying completeness coupled with the ease of access to perform with it we are used to ā€¦ itā€™s an augmented Heat after all, everything through that is win already, but having the ability to place that heat where you like dynamically in the chain is where this takes off

6 Likes

I think the complains are nothing more than a healthy way of outing frustrating.
Some complains may not be fair but still. With what Elektron could do this AHFX looks pretty limited.

I donā€™t know how much profit Elektron is making and if itā€™s raising a lot but I think it is and therefor this product feels a bit underwhelming to say the least.

Iā€™m not claiming itā€™s a bad product but only that most expected a lot more from the company they adore so much.

2 Likes

People found Digitakt limited
People found Digitone limited
People found Syntakt limited

And here we go again.

The limitation is in the eye of the beholder. If you canā€™t work creatively with what the AHFX can offer its really not the device that is limited imho. Itā€™s also okay if something simply is not your cup of tea.

Why one would be frustrated by a release of a new product is also beyond me :). why would you be frustrated by something that did not exist before ?

28 Likes

I often find complaints helpful as more experienced music makers may spot something I might have missed myself in all the hype of a new release. People donā€™t need to be dicks about it though and should be aware that elektron or whichever PLC owe you nothing.

5 Likes

Well thatā€™s kinda easy I think. When you become so invested in something emotions can be strong. This can go 2 ways, being over positive or the opposite. :stuck_out_tongue:

The Digitakt was limited, took a few updates to get at the stage it is today. We also saw a big price difference. At some point the Digitakt was 599,- I think or maybe even cheaper. It was also a ā€˜newā€™ kind of product were as the AHFX is more like an upgrade from a previous version.

Well being overly positive about something means you are enjoying it a lot. Being overly negative, while not having as much as touched the device, simply means the product is not a match for you personally.

Voicing disappointment after using it extensively is interesting and informative and I think everyone would welcome that really.

Exactly. AH was already a unique device and it got more options. So that is simply a win win situation youā€™d think :wink:

9 Likes

People are being a bit too sensitive about 2 posts worth of my honest, natural, criticisms of the new Analog Heat +FX. As I already stated, Iā€™m actually most likely going to buy one.

The inability to route FX to only affect the feedback loops of the delay and/or reverb seems like an oversight to me and I wanted confirmation that my understanding was correct.

I explained what Iā€™d like to see added to it in the future too; things I felt it ā€œshouldā€ have. I care because I read the manual a few times, watched all the YouTube demos I could find, and am just trying to conceptualize how Iā€™d like to use the unit if I bought one.

6 Likes

I donā€™t have an Analog heat yet for the reason that I think 80 procent is more about destroying the original source. I donā€™t really see it as a mastering box as some calling it. (correct me if Iā€™m wrong)

From what I read/heard so far:

• Half of the FX can be found on previous devices.
  • Same heat models as in MK2?

So the new part is more about more flexibility in routing plus a few new fx?
Itā€™s defiantly better than the previous AH but probably not exciting enough for people who didnā€™t care much for the previous AH and were expecting to throw more money at Elektron.

2 Likes

Who is being sensitive ? A few people voice their opinion about the overall negativity displayed in this thread. Wasnā€™t about your posts specially either but the general vibe of this thread. :+1:

3 Likes

Well, I guess itā€™s just really coincidental that this reaction occurred right after my 2 posts worth of criticisms. Iā€™m not interpreting this as you describing me as entitled, but I do interpret that youā€™re saying my thoughts are uninteresting.

1 Like

Wasnā€™t meant like that at all. Not saying anyoneā€™s thoughts are uninteresting either. Where did I say that?

And as the other posters this was about the entire thread, certainly not you personally. No need to interpret anything that isnā€™t there.

In any case sorry if it came across like that :pray:

10 Likes

Iā€™m so fucking tired of arguing with this.

Digitakt launched at Ā£659, was available for a while at a few quid under Ā£600 and I can currently buy one at Andertons for Ā£750.

In that same period my energy bills have gone up from Ā£80 a month to over Ā£350 a month, my food bill has doubled and the Digitakt has gone up by probably a bit less than inflation has in that period.

As much as itā€™s nice to paint Elektron as some huge profit making entity, the truth is they are probably making less margin on each Digitakt than they were at launch, especially if you factor in all the investment theyā€™ve put into developing it, the supply chain and component issues theyā€™ve had to deal with as well as inflation, then itā€™s not really much of a price rise at all.

And Iā€™m not a doctor, but Iā€™ve seen one on TV.

25 Likes

Does it have proper side chain input? Sorry for laziness not doing my own research bogged down by to many good SuperBooth videosā€¦

No. This is something I always wished the original Heat could do by using an audio input either as a source when processing mono signals with the other audio input or when processing mono/stereo signals through USB.

Sidechaining can be simulated by using midi or the CV inputs though.

Technically, it should be possible to send audio via CV input ?
Maybe, sidechain will be added in a future firmware.

I recently discovered (trying to recreate Warble on Syntakt, and to my satisfaction) that audio-rate modulating the delay and reverb band-pass filters, as long as they have a little something sent to them, make a very interesting noise and texture source, think it would be a cool ingredient for a Heat rumble.

5 Likes

Idkā€¦i just ordered one yesterday.

I consider what the OG heat is best at (subtle distortion and filter shaping on mixes) and extend that philosophy to the rest of the effects. These are effects i would be putting a touch of on 2-tracks in a DAW to make them feel as good as they can. The fact it has variable bass mono-ing should let you know what this thing will be best for. Add on top of that 3 lfos and envelope following youā€™ve got yourself a classic in the making. Not sure how people donā€™t see this.

17 Likes

for what itā€™s worth I thought your points are on point and not negative at all compared to the dude that was yelling ā€œSOS Elektron ship is sinkingā€ lol

5 Likes

Case in point. The thing basically isnā€™t out yet and people are already talking about the ways it needs to be fixed. Like at least save it for a feature request thread or something.

I think what people find uninteresting is that they come to read discussion about the device and thereā€™s so much noise to wade through that isnā€™t about the device as it is, but as they had hoped it might be.

One thing I love about this forum is that the threads on gear that came out a few years ago can have a few thousand posts and if you get interested in the thing and read through then 80% of the posts are on topic, useful info and questions being answered and itā€™s a really helpful resource.

But lately the threads about new gear bloat to hundreds of posts overnight and it just gets old really quickly trying to read a thread about the gear where most of the posts arenā€™t really about the gear.

In isolation hearing what people want in a device is interesting enough, but honestly hearing it from 50 different people isnā€™t. I want to read discussion about a device I can actually buy, not 50 different alternative reality versions of a device that I canā€™t buy.

Sorry, I think itā€™s somewhat unfair weā€™re all lumping this on you, but I think itā€™s the ā€œfixedā€ comment that has rubbed me up the wrong way, because itā€™s not like talking about bugs that need fixing, itā€™s talking about fixing design choicesā€¦ itā€™s just a bit insulting.

And really, not every product is always going to be a winner. Getting these things out at all is a really complex endeavour. Things donā€™t always go to plan, compromises and mistakes get made, resources are finite, choices get baked in that a team might want to undo later but canā€™tā€¦

Weā€™re in a golden age of music gear, so many powerful options at every price point, but seriously what a crap time to be a gear manufacturer, constantly reviewed on what it doesnā€™t do rather than what it does do. Itā€™s like ā€œoh new gear? This is how you need to change it to ā€˜fixā€™ it, and by the way it should be cheaperā€¦ā€

Again, sorry dude, this is only 2% aimed at you, itā€™s just some slow building frustration I got.

5 Likes