Internet connectivity built into your gear (A future synth horror story, or not.)

So as promised if people want to talk about this, we need a new thread, rather than off-topic pollution.

it’s pretty much going to happen anyways. Sorry. It’s not up to me.

First out with this sort of thing was probably the Kiviak WoFi ( thread ). This looks to be pretty limited in this capability, but real.

They are obviously sensitive to this issue, making clear they include options to disconnect and just run local if you prefer. Interesting Kiviak is another startup company like Afero who started their business doing cutting edge internet stuff before also doing synth stuff. Pretty soon there will be some larger companies include built-in connectivity into their new products.

Having a local server to run this on would certainly be an option. Again imagine the possibility of having all your gear able to interoperate wirelessly.

1 Like

Most of it doesn’t work properly even with wires. Imagine how much worse it will be using radio waves…

2 Likes

Well, all one’s audio gear could be interconnected using something like Dante (or other interoperable audio over IP standards) if all gear supported it… I’d actually love that.

On the other hand, we all know that this is not going to happen. What is going to happen is some login-only subscription-only thing… edit: a separate login-only subscription-only thing for gear from each manufacturer, of course.

An then they put on some future AI-Tool, which steals our ideas instantly? Great business concept. Transparent music creator - do we want this?

TBH I prefer to own and never to rent and my tools should as far as possible work without any internet connection beeing online all the time.

There is some advantage to work with hardware … :wink:

I’m wondering about security? Can it be hacked?

Doesn’t have to be radio waves. That’s why i mentioned LiFi.

Include with this something like MIDI 2.0, or more like something beyond that to give better standardized multiple data interconnections.

Yes. The answer is always “Yes”.

9 Likes

Surely not for Paranoid people.

1 Like

The AI-Tools could also work for you in this sort of umbrella connection.

Heh. Yeah… Nothing is 100% secure. A lot of things are so hard to hack as to be impractical, but there’s always some way to do it.

2 Likes

This maybe rude … IMO AI-creativity tools are for the uncreative :wink:

It’s like needing a navigation app because you are not capable to read a map and use a compass … :wink:

1 Like

Focus AI development on chores like file naming and stuff that gets in the way of creativity. Now that’s a concept I can get behind.

1 Like

Significant reason for me going hardware is to get away from issues such stuff brings. I wouldn’t rely on software that needs constant internet connection or is subscription based, unless there’s a really good reason to be like that, which music software don’t have, hardware even less so. And as much as I hate cables and went pretty much full wireless with my computer system quite some time ago, I’m back to wired life. It was simply too unreliable.

1 Like

That never stopped David Guetta making a fortune waving his hands around like a loon.

1 Like

This connectivity obviously could be part of a big blob of things. Perhaps a list of some possibilities of things that could be done.

• Sharing of samples, between your various sample based machines ( wavetables, granulars, etc. ). This sharing could be public or local, paid or free.

Imagining a synth to be packing itself up and calling DHL for a pick up because you didn’t pay for your subscription in time. :laughing:

5 Likes

there’s an episode of Love Death and Robots with a similar concept

2 Likes

Aren’t there self driving cars that already do this?

I know that some manufacturers trying to put acceleration under subscription, so that’s not far fetched

1 Like

Mean.

1 Like