Interest check Separate outs mod

Are you thinking of 4 mono or 4 Stereo outs?

I personally would be happy with 4 mono, pre fx.
This should also be the easiest to achieve - perhaps??!!!

think weā€™re going to need something like this between the power and USB port as a circular hole is probably the only realistic possibility after a trace hole and then incrementally larger drill bits

http://www.amphenol.info/steckverbinder/C091-31C012-100-2/1543.html

Soldering the however many DIN poles are needed will be very fiddly, but as youā€™ll need 4 mono audio and a power source Iā€™m guessing 8 or 9 will be needed? Perhaps an electronics savvy person could comment.

So I think 12 poles is probably a good idea incase there is ever a use for the left over pins should there be anyā€¦

4x L/R + 1x GND :slight_smile:

you mean 9 in total then for audio?

• 2 for some power for any components in the breakout box?

I believe 9 should do really.

Yes 9 pins will be sufficient, having looked inside I think the only viable place is indeed near the USB connector. That multipole connector posted will probably be a bit too fiddly, so a standard sized din plug is the best option I think. I am trying to source some parts to make this happen, the good news is the cost will be pretty reasonable for a handmade product. The bad news is a very small amount of fairly simple soldering might be required.

1 Like

4 panel mount 1/8 stereo jacks is what iā€™ll do (in 2yr+10mth) - a piece of cake to locate those !

Count me in Im very interested, maybe the cvā€™s as extra outs and switch the headphone as an fx return? anyhow if anything is possible iā€™d be happy to drill some extra holes :slight_smile: ā€¦

So who here is good at soldering SMD parts because this is what you are up againstā€¦ Not the easiest thing to doā€¦

a little Diazepam should help it :trollolol:

Hello Daren,

Iā€™m interested, if only for the hacking :slight_smile:
Any chance of proposing a thru hole PCB only version of this project with a BOM ?

As soldering would be needed on the A4 anyways, and the needed parts common in most DIYers arsenalsā€¦

Not sure if your insinuating that I am trolling far from it just making a statementā€¦

nah i wasnā€™t. but no SMD fiddling necessary here! though it would be possible to do it that way too i reckon.

Yeah deffo no SMD work required!

I have a pro soldering station and a hot air soldering station, both digital controlled, I have also pro tools to make holes on things.

As you can see I love tools, electronics, soldering, and making holesā€¦ sadly Iā€™m in Uruguay so I canā€™t help you guys. :frowning:

I think itā€™s very risky, you will void your warranty 'n stuff and all other arguments put here by other elektronauts not to do it.

BUT

this is the second machine with too little outputs.
The octatrack only had a stereo out and a cue output that was designed to be a monitoring out. Luckily elektron gave us ā€˜studio modeā€™ in order to have 2 stereo outs and divide the 8 tracks over them. (still want 4 monoā€¦ grrr)

Now the A4 just has a stereo out. I would think elektron would have gotten the message lots of people want a lot of outputs, like the monomachine or the machinedrum.
Regrettably this isnt the case :frowning:

Iā€™m having the feeling elektron wants to push, or maybe nudge, people into the trinity concept. Just hook up those elektron boxes to eachother on the inputs of the octatrack and you can go live.
Well, they misdesigned the octa on that point as well.
If you have an A4, machinedrum and a monomachine, the octatrack just doesnt have enough inputs :P.

I realy hope elektron opens their eyes on this part and will give future machines more outputs.

.R

1 Like

you are right
octatrack should have 8 inputs and 8 outputs for use as a mixer and studio sampler.
but, they say its a live performance machineā€¦ which is cool but 90% of owners never play live. the machine never leaves the bedroom studio.
thats why im holding out for the octatrack keys studio version :slight_smile:
as far as the a4 goes, wellā€¦ its good value as is when compared to similar new breed smt analogue synths like the pulse 2 which is $800. and even the tempest which has 6 individual synthsā€¦ sort of. but another $1000 on the a4 price.
i played the pulse 2 yesterdayā€¦ meh.
soā€¦ what to do?
up to you!

btw i love modding stuff. if someone wants to send me their a4 iā€™ll drill holes in it no problem!

Another A4 person interested in this.

cheers

Another A4 person interested in this output mod.

God bless you fiddlers.