Interest check Separate outs mod

If it’s that easy elektron would be wise to make this a factory upgrade. Would pay up to 200 Bucks or more for that.

Moog offers factory mods to nearly all their synths, so I see no reason why this shouldn’t work. Also it could be an option when buying a new A4.

Lots of logistics of course, but if the demand is there (and I strongly believe it is) why not?!

Will be interested, however will need more details first.

Is it possible for the headphones out to be used? can you tell by looking at it?

A mod would be useful, but official software support could be more interesting. if it’s possible perhaps it’s worth making some noise about before solving it? :slight_smile:

I mean, it’d be fun to have something like a phones L and phones R send, like the effect sends on a second amp page.

I guess it depends on how useful 8 stereo outs are to you.

Thinking out loud…with how I use multi outs now, unless I could do some automation or interact with them, I probably wouldn’t use them often enough to void my warranty… It’s funny, I think multi outs are more useful for live use because i’ll use them to trigger a compressor or envelope follower and I can basically use the CV outs for that now, really in a lot of cases it’s better suited…but parallel audio processing is fun too…

Thanks for all the feedback, I’m looking into how to make it as simple as possible to install, I think it can be done without any need for soldering, and right now I’m waiting on a few parts to arrive so that I can try a few things out.

Basically the points for the 8 outputs are on the board already, there is no possibility of anything other than 4 stereo outputs, one each L+R for each of the voices, there is no chance that they will be addressable from the OS. Poly mode settings will dictate how the sounds are routed, which in itself could lead to interesting results. Having a voice output from the individual out will not remove it from the stereo mix, so for modular users this could be fun - you could for example have your regular mix coming from the main stereo outputs, then have individual outs being processed by the modular, like ANDing, ring mod, crushing, wave shaping filtering or what have you, then if you wanted to take it further you could mix these processed outputs back down to a stereo mix externally, attenuate them a bit and remove any DC, then send them back into the A4 inputs or into something else.

I am quite excited by the additional creative possibilities it will offer.

Rest assured, the quality of the kit will be the best compromise between cost and simplicity to install, whilst using decent parts throughout. Anyone who has bought one of my other mod kits will know that I provide clear and easy to follow instructions etc.

Probably not going to happen until after Xmas as many other things in front of it :wink:

1 Like

This does sound very promising

I’m keen, how about running a ribbon cable out an underside vent for zero case mods?

^ Yeah thought of that, could be messy and not sure if lack of shielding will be an issue though, but for sure it remains a possibility for now.

Got word back from Elektron, they are cool with it, but as anyone would reasonably expect:

Warranty is void on modded units
No tech support for mods
Elektron is not involved nor does it endorse this mod in any way at all.

I think that is fair enough, and it is in line with how Korg view user after market mods, I think it is a nice modern attitude that more companies should consider adopting, I think the options for modding gear are increasingly attractive to users these days, and in turn I think they help sales, so I was quite pleased with the reply.
However, it is to be considered carefully before deciding to embark on any mods.

1 Like

this sounds very interesting . but will this affect the main signal patin any way?
are these output points buffered ? did the electron guys did any comments on that ? i would be totally in if i’m sure it does not electronically disrupt the circuits of my precious machine . the soldering and hole making is not an issue for me .

would there be room for two trs 1/4" jacks on the back ? maybe the encoders are in the way . then maybe 4x 1/8"

I really need 4 outputs. I need to be able to do leveling on the fly with my mixer.

kinda like the idea, but seems not too realistic for me, tapping a circuit always means altering the way the circuit behaves. if you wanna use opamps for leveling those outputs you alter the sound, every single IC will alter the sound. getting noise in the output circuit is also a risk.

i can see, on the open case someone posted earlier, that its at least somehow accessible to tap the voices but still, this machines are not built to be modded like the korgs with their labled tap-points.

i killed 3 monotrons by just unsoldering the pots ^^ i mean embarressing for me, but anyway for me the risk would be WAY to high to mod an almost perfect device.

as for plugs i would just desolder the cv/gate outputs and use those plugs.

also i read all posts but cant find an explanation how you wanna do that.

What level do the voices have before entering the mixer and AD converter for FX ? what impedance ?

good idea

don’t forget, the AK has an additional four TRS outs, so you’d lose pan or 2 tracks - plus, you don’t need cv gear to get mileage out of the cv outs !

1 Like

i would never open a device based on smd thats for sure, and for sure no device thats in my case like 10 month old ^^

1 Like

My reply to this thread a couple of weeks ago would have been a no-brainer: ‘count me in’! Now I’m not so sure, but my reasons for this are wholly positive.

I do have a few really nice analogue effects boxes that I would love to run individual A4 sounds through, plus a mixer for individual EQing. Not being able to run sounds through them has forced me to use the multimode filter for EQing and assign some filter overdrive to the same performance macro as my delay amount, for a more dubby delay sound. It’s really satisfying.

Can I achieve everything on-board that I would achieve by routing each sound externally? No way. But I am learning how to approximate those results without having to carry a bag of pedals around with me and really enjoying discovering those workarounds within the confinements of the A4’s internal architecture.

That said, the 4-out breakout box is a fantastic idea, which I’m sure will be very popular.

I’d pay good money for indivudal outputs on my EHX 2880 though!

So what’s the story on this mod for separate outs on the A4, any updates?

Elektron should have given the A4 4 outs for each track in the first place, and not the mistake until the release of the AK.

I think this is a strong signal towards elektron that they’re on the wrong track with the outputs.
When the user community takes action to modify machines you’re missing an important point being a gear manufacturer.

I hope they havent made the same mistake with the analog rytm, this will cost them customers. I’d love to buy a drummachine in the near future but having enough outputs wil make or break the deal, even if the machine sounds good.

.R

I don’t think you are right here - it was obviously a commercial decision by Elektron. You only have to look at the functionality variation between their other different boxes to realise that they play a clever game this way. The Machinedrum had separately addressable mono outs but the Monomachine’s were stereo, for instance. They know their user base will start collecting these machines once hooked.
So… you can buy one A4 for a drum machine, and another one for sysnths :wink:
Go on… You know you want to! Crafty.

I don’t think you are right here - it was obviously a commercial decision by Elektron. You only have to look at the functionality variation between their other different boxes to realise that they play a clever game this way. The Machinedrum had separately addressable mono outs but the Monomachine’s were stereo, for instance. They know their user base will start collecting these machines once hooked.
So… you can buy one A4 for a drum machine, and another one for sysnths :wink:
Go on… You know you want to! Crafty.
[/quote]
The monomachine has 6 outputs, configurable in 3x stereo or 6x mono, plus a headphone out. Please check the specs ;-).
Anyways, they’re obviously aiming at the gearjay market, thats what -to be honest- really disappointed me about the octa. 1 stereo out and 1 cue out with in the earlier OS versions no option to use it as 2x stereo (or 4x mono).
I’d expected 8 mono outs on this box, but okay… maybe I have to manage my expectations a bit ;-).
I’m really happy to see the rytm has dedicated outs :slight_smile:
And yes I am hooked
and yes, that damn rytm will cost me…
dont know about the A4… played with it on a synth meeting but no magic… :slight_smile:

the A4 is chock full of magic, which (aside from the physical space limitations) explains partly why they couldn’t/didn’t cram more ports in - the sockets are so tight they don’t take old neutrik plugs ! TRS is a pragmatic way forward

yea this.
it goes to places…