Interest check Separate outs mod

Even if elektron said they “don’t support this in any way, but if you are curious here are the exact points where you could ‘extremely carefully’ solder connections to for tracks 1,2,3,4 audio” … would be very helpful.

Interesting dialogue here http://www.flickr.com/photos/psychlist1972/8417992791/

So somewhere inside the red box is where the wires need to be attached … the spec sheet of the coolaudio chips indicates which pins are the possible ins and outs: 4 possibles on each chip and there seem to be 2 chips per track, and I’d guess a master chip to the left (?)

Wonder what these things are in the box?

Hardly 4x2 points to pull out mono tracks?

1 Like

Interested.

Interested as well.

Though, would much prefer that Elektron provide a system based option; seems it would be easy enough to route audio as TRS; and use Tip and Ring as 1/2 and 3/4 voices.

Or sacrifice the CV outs for 4x audio.

1 Like

I’d rather hit track mute and just record each track to my DAW. :imp:

Hmm… Wonder if there is a way to sacrifice the TRS CV out sockets and convert them to individual outs for the 4 voices without drilling the box? If that header is for voice outs, do they need an amp stage or can you wire them directly to the sockets is the question?

remember that A4 tracks have panning :wink:

I’m down.

What if you are not using a DAW?

Sounds like something hard to do while playing Live.

+1 I’m in.

I was envy this useful feature on the AK.

1 Like

+1

Definitely interested.

Also interested.

+1 I’m in.

[/quote]
I don’t think your listening audience is going to be overly concerned that you didn’t use individual A4 outputs with separate channel processing on your mixer when doing a live set.
If it sounded exactly like the live album I’d be a little concerned myself.

+1 I’m in.

[/quote]
I don’t think your listening audience is going to be overly concerned that you didn’t use individual A4 outputs with separate channel processing on your mixer when doing a live set.
If it sounded exactly like the live album I’d be a little concerned myself.[/quote]

Venn,

I’m talking about usability, not sound quality.

I’ll give you an example. In many situations I use the crossfade of my OT to kill the lows of the Kick and because the bass line comes from the A4 mixed with the rest of the synths, usually the lead synths, etc., I don’t want to cut lows on the OT THRU machine because it will be killing lows on the lead synths also.

Because of this on the A4 I have to use two kits/and or to program performance knobs to change bass line second filter to High Pass (I usually use multimode filter on lowpass for strong bass lines), then rise the multimode filter frequency, and after the music break, put all back to get the bass line’s lows again.

If I can send the base line using an extra output I will use another TRHU machine on the OT with a highpass filter controlled from the Crossfader, and I won’t need to take care about driving extra knobs.

I can think in many situations while playing live where you may want to process or resample A4 stuff on the OT and it will be very convenient to have them separated.

1 Like

What if you are not using a DAW?[/quote]
sample to OT?

[quote]mokomo wrote
Wonder what these things are in the box?

Hardly 4x2 points to pull out mono tracks?

remember that A4 tracks have panning
[/quote]

afaict tracks are mono up until the summing stage where panning is applied to tracks and mixed with the stereo fx. then again it’s possible these are stereo (or, less likely, balanced) output pins and ground is meant to be taken from elsewhere on the board. either way, my interest is piqued. Busy now but I’ll break out my scope and have a look at these this weekend after the yankee holiday is over. not very hopeful for a simple mod though. not a lot of room in this box for more connectors, even if you use multpin. it would also involve taking a drill press to the A4 body…which is made of steel, right? ugh.

2 Likes

Hmm, these are curious.
There are other locations on the board with similar holes, no doubt used for point/probe testing as they are marked with voltages or GND.
These ones do not appear to have markings!

^perhaps that is pins for diagnostics testing or an eprom programmer?

My interest is piqued IF it can be done unobtrusively

Very interested in this mod yes.