Industrial samples, scrap metal sounds

Just about to get a Novation rhythm and I’m looking for some good samples of scraping metal, industrial stuff and construction site sound samples. Was excited about to the spitfire hammers samples from Charlie Clouser but i’m looking for something a little less than 250 quid hahaha. Any help would be apprreciated, feel free to plug your own packs as well if they fit the theme

1 Like

I did check most of the free stuff available with my googling skills, nothing free is good so I record my own.

3 Likes

Dropping metal knives and forks, and then slowing/pitching down the sample is surprisingly effective. I imagine locks, bolts, screws, door handles, car engines, bike chains, air con are all similarly useful.

3 Likes

Theres nothing quite like proper junk metal abuse. Old metal shelves are great for abuse. I have an old metal stove at my summer cabin that I fill with junk metal and go to town.

4 Likes

if you are just looking for something to make music with and not do actual, believable film foley work, the free berklee sampling archive is a really nice resource. while not extremely comprehensive and a bit outdated, i still use them daily for drum layers etc.

you can find a list with links on this page, second category
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Sound_samples

in your metal case especially look at vol 10-12, combined these will give you 800 free, good quality samples. properly named and sorted.
7-9 are also really useful for drums, another 750 samples.

also, of course, freesound.org is your friend!

ps. i also picked up my novation rhythm yesterday… fun little thing i only really don’t like the sample selection process…

8 Likes

…industrial samples…?
pre fab…?

that’s sooo not industrial spirit…

6 Likes

i agree it can be a lot of fun and rewarding to simply do your own field recordings with a phone/mic or a zoom recorder.

that being said, i don’t think the thread opener was interested in the “industrial spirit”, whatever that might be. correct me if i am wrong @Zeeandthelostboys. i think making music should not obey to any such rules about what is right and wrong. if it sounds good, if it’s fun - then it is right, hence, do it. and that, of course, includes using professionally produced samples as opposed to recording everything yourself from scratch. even if it breaks the industrial spirit sample source laws

4 Likes

Rep Ani Klang, getting the hot dead factory sounds out there

Check burn the empire for some relentless face punching

Yeah I know what you mean, I used to love that all “nothing but diy” idea but honestly man I just don’t have the time to head out and get field recordings straight off the bat. I don’t get much time for music or stuff like that and I’m pretty stoked to get straight to making the most of the new sampler without leaving it in the box for a month or two whilst I curate a library of field recordings and cut them up and load them up. I work in video and do a lot of audio editing in the day so I just try to avoid it when I can. But I do get where you’re coming from!

2 Likes

…music creation allover…or…sonic puzzeling around…that’s always the question…

time’s never an argument…

u can create industrial sounds with anything…
especially when it comes to sampling…and resampling…drilling to the core of the grain…
to create IS what it’s ALL about…
who needs another nice puzzle made from pieces u bought elsewhere…really…
u…?..ur friends…?..ur girl or boyfriend…?
sorry not sorry…

give urself the chance to use at least that amount of time u spent on searchin’ for the right prefabs INTO comin’ up with ur own sonic way of thinkin’…come on…spread ur mindset…
THAT’s satisfying results for real…promise.

2 Likes

:joy: I don’t think you realize how little spare time I actually have man hahah. No point commenting on threads gatekeeping

1 Like

…yup…end of the day, ur right…what do i know…at least i tried to cheer u up a little…
times keep changing…hope u find the right hammer that makes it work for u…

1 Like

Well, there’s also the principle of easy-come-easy-go. Making the time to create your own samples creates an emotional connection to them that may otherwise not be there.

There’s nothing wrong with having fun. But there is also nothing deeply gratifying about having fun.

Eh, nothing wrong with using samples. I don’t think you need to have an emotional connection with your sound sources, as long as you have a connection with the finished product. That said recording your own metal abuse / scrap metal sounds is just sensible because when you buy a pack, you get what, a few hundred different clangs and bangs? You can go thru that amount in a few songs, or maybe most of them aren’t quite what you’d want. Spend that same amount of money on a Zoom and use your next free night banging away on a construction site or an abandoned building. Plus it’s exciting and really fun.

1 Like

You don’t need to do a day trip to a scrapyard… one of these and a digital recorder is all you need. Bang, slam and scrape with various objects. Sample the best bits, pitch them down an octave or two with some fx and you’re sorted.

Basic pots and pans in a stainless steel sink can be very effective as well.

3 Likes

Yeah for sure, any metal shelves or cabinets will do. Going out for an adventure is really fun tho.

1 Like

Oh yeah, this was just in response to the OP not having enough free time. I love going to new places to collect sounds too, did a bunch of that in my recent trip to Chicago.

1 Like

I always thought Chicago was a good sounding city. Every time I’ve been there I’ve ended up getting great samples just walking around. Maybe that’s why everything on Wax Trax was so sample oriented.

1 Like

Ive been to Chicago once on tour and got so wasted I cant remember much. Did get a cool photo of the honeycomb building, tho.

2 Likes

I got some great ambience recordings from museums there, as well as train terminals, streetcorners etc.

1 Like