In the market for a mainly analog drum machine - FOUND IT : )

Stimmung could also mean tuning.

2 Likes

Does Stimming mean Tuned?

Edit : it means Ambiance.

There goes the s/h prices…

The older models also skyrocketed.

Stimming means nothing in German. It’s his last name. You meant „Stimmung“, which can be mood, tuning or ambiance.

2 Likes

No, Stimming does not mean tuned (that would be: gestimmt).

Actually this word does not exist in german language (ok, there is a special word meant as an abbreviation of „Self-stimulatory behaviour“, but this is the same word as in english language).

So it is just his artist name maybe; I always thought it would be a mixture of the german words Stimmung (mood, tune, atmosphere) and stimmig (coherent, nice fitting, well tempered).

Back to drummachines: when my decision fell for the AR back then some years ago the Tanzbär was on my list, second place. I still think it is a nice drummachine and I like its sound.

1 Like

No it’s his real name. Martin Stimming. Germans are since a few years no longer allowed to carry „artists“ name on their ID papers.

The Tanzbär sounds absolutely wonderful. But the UI is total crap. Time to post some links to sample packs:

4 Likes

The tanzbär exactly sounds, like I would imagine an analog drummachine to sound, but which many offers in that category don’t.

There is some special analog fairy dust going on, that other contenders and samples don’t deliver. Some sounds of it are even more appealing to me to what I can hear in demos of some beloved roland classics.

As often, my opinion is based on demos, never tried any of them.

Unfortunately the tanzbär is quite hard to get now, build quality seems not to last and it looks quite confusing to operate :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

Google Translate tells me that Stimming is in the Frison Occidental language and it means Ambiance. Never heard of that language before.

There is still the MFB 501 available…

tanzbär lite is still on the market I believe. But it sounds quite different. But also great. All mfb drummers seem to sound great. Synths as well actually

1 Like

Fuck Google, it knows shit. I am German and it means nothing in german. Just a name like Meyer, Schulz or Schmidt. Though it’s a funny sounding name because it sounds so close to „Stimmung“. I am sure Martin had some kids in school bullying him because of that.

4 Likes

What about the Tanzbar 2? It looks full featured.

It is good, but has its quirks too. There is a reason why people like Elektron gear so much.

Here is a German test with lots of audio examples: Test: MFB Tanzbär 2, Drummaschine - AMAZONA.de

1 Like

Stimming is an psychological term in English for repetitive behaviour :
I didn’t realise it was also his surname

2 Likes

So he did a little research to find his Pseudo.

I have a tanzmaus and I love it.

I’ll add that if your like me and didn’t find the sample upload tool and mfb didn’t respond to your email, the best samples are hidden away in slots only accessible via midi. check check it out!

ja - das stimmt.

It’s not a drummachine to throw in a backpack, but I don’t throw gear around anyway.

There was one for sale here on the forum for 700EUR that is 130EUR below the cost new from Thomann a few years back.

It’s easy to sequence with other gear, I use the OT or a Beatstep Pro, will try with Bitwig after the summer to get some midi cc modulation going but no time right now.

In short, I use it as a drum module. Works well, sounds great. I don’t make any beat driven music atm so I boxed it for now.

2 Likes

I really want to buy and try and tanzbar 1 but they seem impossible to find right now.

When a tanz mk1 pops up (it will), you just have to act fast (have around 800EUR set aside for it). There were many on Reverb just a month ago. Most of them went fast but not at the first asking prices (around 1000EUR).

1 Like

i can ask a silly question and say - i assume these are multitracked for more voices? How many layers on say track A2?