In the market for a mainly analog drum machine - FOUND IT : )

Google Translate tells me that Stimming is in the Frison Occidental language and it means Ambiance. Never heard of that language before.

There is still the MFB 501 available…

tanzbär lite is still on the market I believe. But it sounds quite different. But also great. All mfb drummers seem to sound great. Synths as well actually

1 Like

Fuck Google, it knows shit. I am German and it means nothing in german. Just a name like Meyer, Schulz or Schmidt. Though it’s a funny sounding name because it sounds so close to „Stimmung“. I am sure Martin had some kids in school bullying him because of that.

4 Likes

What about the Tanzbar 2? It looks full featured.

It is good, but has its quirks too. There is a reason why people like Elektron gear so much.

Here is a German test with lots of audio examples: Test: MFB Tanzbär 2, Drummaschine - AMAZONA.de

1 Like

Stimming is an psychological term in English for repetitive behaviour :
I didn’t realise it was also his surname

2 Likes

So he did a little research to find his Pseudo.

I have a tanzmaus and I love it.

I’ll add that if your like me and didn’t find the sample upload tool and mfb didn’t respond to your email, the best samples are hidden away in slots only accessible via midi. check check it out!

ja - das stimmt.

It’s not a drummachine to throw in a backpack, but I don’t throw gear around anyway.

There was one for sale here on the forum for 700EUR that is 130EUR below the cost new from Thomann a few years back.

It’s easy to sequence with other gear, I use the OT or a Beatstep Pro, will try with Bitwig after the summer to get some midi cc modulation going but no time right now.

In short, I use it as a drum module. Works well, sounds great. I don’t make any beat driven music atm so I boxed it for now.

2 Likes

I really want to buy and try and tanzbar 1 but they seem impossible to find right now.

When a tanz mk1 pops up (it will), you just have to act fast (have around 800EUR set aside for it). There were many on Reverb just a month ago. Most of them went fast but not at the first asking prices (around 1000EUR).

1 Like

i can ask a silly question and say - i assume these are multitracked for more voices? How many layers on say track A2?

The Division Department 01/IV sounds sooo seriously fucking good! I’m on a drum machine buying spree anyway so why not, right?

2 Likes

The tracks were made by different artists with different workflows. As far as I was following the social media “work in progress” posts the main inspiration factor was the sound and tweaking capabilities.
A1 - 3 short loops with different sound sets first introduced and then all mixed.
A2 - live takes into Ableton.
A4 - live jam with 2 machines no post-edit.
B1 - two live takes with Ableton fxs then merged :heart:
B2 - finger drumming live improvisation exploring cross modulation madness
B4 - melodic drone, voices set to intervals

It’s more than a drum synth I guess. Can do silly melodies, drones, has some acidic spots, lots of MIDI controlling, nice discoveries and happy accidents.

Anyone had any experience of sequencing the MFB Tanzmaus or Tanzbär Lite from the OT? Is it straight foreword enough?

On a side note the Division Department 01/1V Analog Drum looks great.

1 Like