Important tip on pattern chaining

Thanks to the folks in the Facebook group I’ve got pattern chaining down. The manual was a bit opaque on this. The key insight is that it’s a three finger operation, not a two finger one. So it’s not enough to hold down the pattern button and punch trig buttons. You have to hold down the pattern button, then press the first trig button and continue holding it down. Then with your third finger, mash the remaining trig buttons in your sequence. Trick is you can’t repeat that first pattern (since you’ve got it mashed down), so just have an extra copy of that first pattern around.

4 Likes

thanks for this! still getting the hang of m:s tips and tricks like this are really useful.

2 Likes

On Digiboxes you can do this (or something like): Hold Ptn, Press and hold a key, let go Ptn, press and hold Ptn again, let go of the key. Holding only Ptn you can now repeat the first pattern as many times as you like. Does this work on Models?

2 Likes

Adding to this, on the FUNC + PAGE menu (named Scale Setup), the CHG (change) parameter changes your sequence length. By default it will only play the first 16 steps of each pattern, even if that pattern has more steps. So if you want to chain together a bunch of 64 step patterns, you have to go into each one and set CHG to 64.

4 Likes

Thanks for this! I was confused on the chained patterns playing just one bar out of 4.

1 Like

Same thing on my Cycles!
I thought I’d have to live with it and keep focus on timing changes tighter. Learning something new every day here.

1 Like

Has anyone else gotten this to work? Or have another solution?

2 Likes

If you want the pattern to repeat the same amount of times whenever it’s chained, you can set the Chg length to a multiple of the pattern length. For example, if you want it to play four times and it’s a 64 step pattern, set Chg to 256. Then you only have to select it once in the chain and it’ll repeat four times.

4 Likes

That’s a good workaround. And I suppose I can just create another, identical (or not) pattern with a shorter Chg value if I want to repeat it again, but not for as long. Thanks!

2 Likes

That’s what I thought, but someone else discovered how to do it. I made a note in the model:cycles tips and tricks thread:

Omg thank you! The manual never mentions this AFAIK I was just able to turn a pattern into a “song” because of this I had not figured why it was only playing the first 16 steps. I had figured like when I attempted to sequence my minilogue with it that it was just limited. Thanks again!!