I'm genuinely thinking about buying a laptop and Ableton. Talk me out of it

Because they are standards at work, I periodically have to use Teams, and occasionally Office 365. These have kept my hatred of Microsoft current.

5 Likes

2015 MBP and add full ram to it. Shouldn’t break the bank and it’s more than enough to run Ableton and a shitload of VST’s.

I have a friend who’s a sound designer / engineer and he does all his work on two 2011 MBP’s and one 2012 MBP, with full RAM and SSD’s added. You really don’t need the latest and greatest.

1 Like

2 Likes

What, no mention of Macs? Turing test fail!!! :x:

1 Like

It can produce the perfect forum post:

1. Misunderstands the question
  2. Writes an authoritative answer anyway
  3. Gets many important details wrong

7 Likes

Last one, but this one is full of excellent advice

15 Likes

This.

What does she suggest? If she is fluent with Windows, you’re all set.

1 Like

I have been following this advice for years and can confirm!

She doesn’t know shit.

She doesn’t even know how to backup her WhatsApp.

Luckily, she doesn’t run the tech bit of the tech company.

4 Likes

Gotcha!

In that case, you just need to write up a business plan explaining how you plan to operate a record label that will own a well-equipped music studio and support and publish artists such as yourself. A seed round of $200k should get you started and she can probably introduce you to investors. Be sure to give the investors B shares, and keep control of the company within 95% of the A shares (which you own).

Bonus: if she holds grudges against anyone, they can invest in the C shares, which are NFTs.

5 Likes

This is the way

2 Likes

If you’re getting a Mac, whatever it is, aim for an M1 one.
Especially if you’re getting a laptop… I came to my 2021 M1 MBP from a well spec’d 2018 Intel MBP, and they’re night and day for running Ableton, the noise/fanless thing, and heat generating, no more thigh/ball burn.
It’s one of those buys that’s annoying at the time, but you soon forget about it and appreciate what you have.

5 Likes

I believe @Fin25 lives in the UK, which means he will prefer a quad-Xeon 1U server powered by a nuclear battery to avoid freezing to death.

2 Likes

What’s wrong with M2

That Elektronauts ‘Light Mode’ is blinding…

:see_no_evil:

7 Likes

Abe is fun, but as torn as I am to say this, especially since I was anti-Apple brigade since I hit puberty, there comes a time when one must admit defeat. Apparently all windows machines add a 6-10ms latency to audio prior to even starting apps (can read here). Still don’t own an apple product, but that’s because of budget, but if I had to have a computer process audio I would lean towards them. By limiting their product line, they were able to really dive into drivers on a handful of products vs the several windows machines available, and able to acheive much more favorable results on a latency level vs windows.

Saying this using abelton 10 for the past almost 3 years on an older watercooled 4790k overkill windows machine with 32gb ram, using a windows 10 that I disabled an insane amount of processes on, and still experiencing lag :man_shrugging: Just my two cents.

edit: just read your post @brisket agree, unfortunately. I have to take a shower now, though. Why is it like this?

3 Likes

Presuming cost.

Or a M2 of course. Anywho, both the M1 and M2’s are so unbelievable fast, the difference is very noticeable in everything, especially with demanding applications like Ableton.

1 Like