I'm genuinely thinking about buying a laptop and Ableton. Talk me out of it

I recently got it and the flexi sampler is pretty much the same as the OT, the modulations are different because Drambo is basically modular & the sampler is a module, so you can assign as much modulation for parameters as you want.

I had an OT for years & loved modulating start position & also used sample chains a lot. It doesn’t load sample chain presets directly but the transient detection is really good & so it doesn’t really matter, just load the WAV & you can split via transient or equally.

Here’s an example of using an LFO to modulate sample start offset, it pretty much feels identical to using the OT. Sorry it isn’t a great video but hopefully shows the concept in action.

In terms of Sequencing, it also feels very Elektron, it supports clicking a step and holding notes on an external midi controller just like the Elektrons (which is something I really like) & also has conditionals. The conditionals are well implemented as sliders which decide the cycle range, however instead of choosing a single positive/play step you can select multiple so you could have it play 1st and 3rd every 5 beats for example. That’s a nice extension to the idea:

It also supports P-locking via hold step and move knob.

I haven’t spent too much time with it yet, but I think it’s seriously good for people who like working the Elektron way & it also works on a Mac (although normal AU’s aren’t available for tracks), it even loads into Logic as a plug-in.

Where it isn’t like the OT is that the instruments are for the entire project as opposed to distinct ‘parts’ so that’s a significant area where they diverge.

Somebody has actually built an OT instrument clone built with the modular components that you can load on a single track, and even an entire 8 channel instrument for a single track, although I prefer just building stuff as I work so far. The single channel instrument is great though & demonstrates what can be done with the modular side of Drambo.

Sorry for the long post!

7 Likes

No, nothing so fancy! I got the Mac Mini as a cheap upgrade to use for music, coding and general use.

The irony here is that I wholeheartedly recommend macs because they are so hassle-free but I’m moving towards hardware because of workflow and getting away from the screen after the coding day job.

@Fin25 clearly doesn’t mind buying and selling gear so the decision isn’t final.

1 Like

I know this is done and dusted but for future ref, and if you decide that you hate your new laptop :slight_smile: I bought a Mac Mini M1, 16gb ram, 1TB SSD, (2 USB 3.0 ports, 2 Thunderbolt) refurbished direct from Apple for £1099 in May 2020, and sold it for £950 a year later to get a MacBook Pro. I used it everyday, and it was amazing. I bought a used Dell Ultrasharp 27” IPS for £150 for the monitor . If you don’t need a laptop the Mac Mini is a great option for the price.

1 Like

Not anymore really. Mac mini m1 is really a steal. Same for the MacBook Air. And the nice thing is, zero fan noise. :wink:
I’ve used both and both are fine but currently for audio i’d choose Mac. Simply because of the speed of ARM and the total silence when running big projects.

3 Likes

Long term Windows user here (always built my own PCs) but after the release of the M1 Air models my mind is made up that I’ll switch when I need a new comp.

I already use an M1 iPad (with Drambo) and it rocks and just got my wife an M1 Air (renewed from Amazon). The M1 is just so sleek and powerful and fanless I just can’t picture going back to a Windows model.

As a note, I have seen some YouTube claims that the base model Air with the M1 is more powerful than the base model M2 (for some reason I can’t remember but might be worth fact checking).

1 Like

Ok then fuckers.

Can’t really afford a new Mac, what’s the craic with second hand?

3 Likes

Look at official Apple refurb

3 Likes

Hold their worth quite well. You’ll save a bit but it won’t be a huge difference. I’d try to find a Mac mini m1 second hand. Not sure what that’ll cost but probably about the same as a later intel version.

Edit: referb is indeed a good idea!

I really need a laptop though

1 Like

My wife’s m1 Air was certified renewed from Amazon and was under 700 usd

1 Like

I’ve bought used and refurbished. Apple refurbished is a good option as you get the warranty. I’ve bought refurbished 4 times and saved shitloads and each time it was like buying as new

2 Likes

Macbooks are built far better than PC ones…more $$$ of course, but they are tanks. I’ve got a PC for my studio , but when doing live stuff, Macbook all the way.

I

1 Like

Ah check.

Air lacks ports. So would need to add a docking station or proper usb hub

Oh well, the first one you refering to isn’t a laptop, and the other one is a 13" laptop. Are you serious when refering to a 13" inches laptop to work with?
I would say those micro computers may need a magnifying glass Game Boy style like, in order not to hit undesired buttons :slight_smile:
Nice laptop size to work with I would say are about 17" and then again, last time I checked those sizes on Mac’s there were three times more expensive than a PC.

Another vote for M1 Macbooks (sorry @Fin25). I’ve had one for a few months now and it’s been life-changing. Literally the best computer I’ve ever used. No audio problems whatsoever, even with heavy soft-synth usage.

That is if you work on a laptop screen in the studio but I would not recommend that to anyone. Even a 17” screen is not much fun to work on in a daw imho ( I used to have one and it’s also massive to drag along with you). So an external monitor is pretty much a must. Imho of course.
I have a 14” Mac laptop but in the studio it’s closed and connected to a monitor. And when I take it with me it’s actually quite nice to have a compact laptop.

All personal ofc and to each their own. The mac vs windows discussion is super daft :). Both have pros and cons and are obviously perfectly fine to work with. Just for audio Mac is easier and more flexible to work with.

The biggest downside for an air would be the lack of usb ports. Which is a bit annoying but not unworkable.

2 Likes

If you know any students they get discount on unidays

Yeah, my wife has two pretty big monitors for work right next to my gear, so I can use them when I’m “in the studio”. Portability is super important, so 13 or 14 inch is plenty big enough.

1 Like

Ok, here’s the catch. Buy a laptop (consensus is a Mac), buy Ableton, buy some plug-ins, then you’ll need a hub for more ports, a bigger screen (or 2), more plug-ins, a controller (because mouses are boring), …

All the fucking refurbished ones are more than the new ones.