I'm back

I think that’s smart. I’m using the AR for drums and sometimes bass and feeding everything else into the OT. My problem is I flip flop back and forth between using my Elektron boxes standalone or trying to integrate them into my computer setup (so I can record guitar and bass into DAW and feed that to the OT). I think the best way (for me) is to totally separate them. If I want to record into a DAW and make a traditional song, then that’s what I should do. If I want to make interesting, improvisational, sample-based (mostly from vinyl) music, then AR+OT. I can record the results into my computer and take it from there. Yes, I was also trying to get the OT to do way too much. I’ve sold a lot of my hardware and am down to my computer, guitar rig (guitars, amps, pedals), some microphones, AR, and OT. I’ve found that the less gear I have, the more actual music I make.

2 Likes

I’ve been following this approach for a while as well, slowly consolidating my setup and trying to do more with less. But I got to a point with the OT where I was like… I wish it could just do [this or this or this] more intuitively, which ultimately became a hinderance instead of an inspiration–the ‘less gear’ ideology came into conflict with my actual workflow preferences with the OT as a ‘do everything’ machine. Picking up the OT again means having more gear than I’d like (which is a rather arbitrary decision anyway), but I’m hoping that functionally/workflow-wise it will be worth revisiting in a more focused role.

1 Like

sounds like me, I have all my gear on ebay now, and will solely rockin a Op-1 and OT.

Limited yet those two machines do so much, it’s just a matter of breaking thru the outer shell of each one.

I loved my OP-1 for a long time. Just sold it. I have so many samples of it that I can still use but I’ll admit, I regret it. The AR will fill some of that absence but it’s not the same. It’s an iconic piece of gear.

1 Like

yea I was literally bummed out for months hating my decision. While I had to pay and extra $50 for a used one, I suppose its better that now, then the future costs. Supposedly a new shipment is dropping on June 21 from what it said on AMS or Sweetwater.

A post was merged into an existing topic: ucApps.de MIDIBox Seq