I'm back

I sold my Octatrack in December of 2015. Regretted it ever since. Just want to say (for anyone that remembers me-my time here was brief but I asked a lot of questions) I’m back and ready to learn it all over again. I’m sure it’s NOT like riding a bike.

7 Likes

It’s exactly like riding a bike… well, the falling off part at least :slight_smile:

17 Likes

it’s rather like being pitched from the back of a horse. we are talking about the Octatrack, not the easy Rytm :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Well, depends on what you do with your bike…

4 Likes

ok, thats a point :wink:

Welcome back to the Octaverse, @joeyfivecents! I traveled a similar route, but some stuff definitely stuck from the first time. But the process is curvey. When the inexplicable or insane happens, dust yourself off and have another go :wink:

Amazingly I’m remembering everything from the first time around. I’ve gone completely crazy and ordered an Analog RYTM. Waiting for it to be shipped. All I have to do now is figure out how to incorporate my guitar into the mix. I want to be able to have a beat going, set a one-shot recorder trig, record my guitar, then have it start playing back without having to stop. I’m also looking for any tutorials showing how to use the rytm and ot together.

I don’t have AR, but you can control and record Perf macros from OT. You can’t record Perf in AR AFAIK.
OT has to be master for recording, especially for Pickups overdub, if you use it with guitar. :wink:

You can record in the cross fader? I’ll have to try that!

Not in the crossfader but with midi CC.
With a midi processor, you can map crossfader’s CC48 to several Perf macros, with corresponding CC.

1 Like

Welcome back.

1. My lessons learned is edit the audio ahead of time either on the device, octaedit, and octachainer. The octatrack is an open fire that responds to the ingredients you give it. If you’ve sliced your ingredients ahead of time it’s easier to work around the fire.

2. This is a live fire area and sometimes you get the loop right for 15 seconds. Just hit the record button on your recording device to capture these moments. Dissect what you did earlier. Try to recreate it and dissect some more.

3. Pick a comfortable part of your house to practice in. I have this corner office desk at home where I read books and magazines. It’s the perfect height for me and my office chair. I can pull idea from that desk instead of anywhere else. That is now an octatrack and bookreading zone.

2 Likes

Yes, I was definitely planning on the OT being the master. Thanks for your help.

Would it be a good idea to put my recorder trig on the second bar so I can have time to prepare? Otherwise, I have to hit play and try to play something on my guitar really quick. I forgot I can slice up the loop before it’s even recorded. Thanks for reminding me of that.

1 Like

Yes

Okay, another question. Let’s say I have two samples I’ve recorded. One is a verse bass line and the other is a chorus bass line. What’s the easiest way to switch between these two (on the same track)? Pattern change-with different sample lock on each pattern?

Beware, though : you have to recline the recording buffer each time you change the tempo !

Yep. I’d use Sample locks and patterns.

Recline?

Aha automated correction for “re-slice” :slight_smile:

I’m back on the OT train too… 3rd time is a charm? :loopy:

I think I didn’t get along with it previously because I was trying to make it do everything it was capable of, and in that respect I think it does a bad job of being an everything box. It can do lots, just not not everything well (but some things brilliantly).

I waited patiently for the MPC Live and Digitakt to be released, but neither of them seemed like a right fit with regards to feature overlap of my current gear. Having an AR for drums and a MidiBox Seq for my sequencing duties, I thought I’d give the OT a try again as nothing more than a sampler (which it excels at). The Midibox Seq stomps all over the OT’s midi capabilities, and the last time I had an OT I was trying to use regularly as a drum machine (which obviously the AR excels at). So I’m left with using the OT as nothing more than a sampler and have no desire to make it try to do everything else.

3 Likes