If you're considering A4 vs ST

Annnnd I just added an overlaid arp to the drum beat track. That’s 3 voices in one track. I just turned 4 tracks into 8, including a major chord sound.

Who needs a Syntakt :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

The a4 is ridiculously more powerful than it sounds due to things like that and the well-thought out voice stealing which makes it sounds like more tracks are available than really are. Love my A4!

1 Like

Why focus on what something can not do? :man_shrugging:t3:

5 Likes

And what’s cooler is by doing this you get grouped parameter control for free … very fun

1 Like

Because I’m evaluating the A4 and I’m a perfectionist and want the minimum gear possible.

The way to do that imho is focussing on what something CAN do.

10 Likes

Careful not to drive yourself crazy with that, friend.

I’ve obsessed over these things before and I can say that it didn’t end up with me being any more productive or efficient. In fact the opposite happened.
YMMV but just a word of caution, and no judgement here. Take care of yourself.

14 Likes

I mean, I’m writing a song as we speak. Having a blast with the A4.

But yes I spend a lot of time evaluating my gear and questioning if I’m really enjoying it. And here we are with me having fun with my A4 after accepting it for what it is.

Maybe I’ll get a windfall of money this year and just get the ST and make songs on it standalone like I like to do most of the time. Then again I already have the M:C! It’s such a weird proposition. High chance of them adding at least polyphony which would tip the scales a lot.

1 Like

Yeah same here. Spot on. It’s really a waste of time that could be spend diving deeper into the gear one already owns.

I think creatives always have a form of obsession which is good when applied to the artistry. But unfortunately it often also triggers on stuff that is actually not fulfilling

14 Likes

Without considering the things OP mentioned, can the ST analog voices be compared to the A4 at all - soundwise? Plus, you only have 3 tracks that can be full fledged synth voices on the ST, right? The fourth looks like it is dedicated to cymbal-like machines. Plus no polyphony. A4 has 4 identical voices. That makes it way more useful to me as a tool in my studio than a “does it all” machine. It would be foolish to dump your A4 for the ST unless you completely hate the former (or you need to consolidate). It takes a long time to build tracks on the A4, but it’s worth it.

Before yesterday, I was curious/hopeful Syntakt could either replace my A4 or extinguish my lust for a Machinedrum. Now that it’s out, neither of those things have happened, and that’s OK. I’ll probably still buy ST, just not immediately like some folks. If anything, I’ll sell my M:C, but probably not. It’s so slim and portable…

3 Likes

Very true.

What’s that?

Neighbor osc I think is what they meant

2 Likes

that or input oscillator (using the external input in place of an OSC, and sending it through the rest of the analog voice, mixing it with the other OSC/sub OSC, cross modulating, etc.)

6 Likes

^ what he said ^ :thup: an external oscillator under cv control ‘injected’ seems about right, forget term from manual

1 Like

All this talk of ST and A4 is making me think the ST and AR combo I had in my head may not be as good :’)

I want to use the ST primarily for melodic and percussive stuff to complement the AR. Just hoping the synthesis on the ST is as good in real life as it sounded to me on the previews!

1 Like

Really? I’d think it’d reinforce it. A4 has everything ST lacks, and could command its pattern changes while providing wicked basses, leads, or pads. Heck to simplify things I wouldn’t even sequence any of those (except if it was acid bass) and use it as compact live synth while ST provides the backing.

Yeah that’s what I mean sorry. I have an Analog Rytm and I’m feeling like the ST may not pair with it as well as it would with an Analog 4.

I hope I’m wrong though!

Yeah… It’s better than rytm at chromatics but there is a ton of overlap.

If however you like rytms performance features, and its sound, it’s your rig! Use ST for just chromatics! It can definitely do it. And at the least you get sampling with that pair.

1 Like

Syntakt DVCO seems to be missing Square Osc, PWM, and Sub.
It’s a very limited voice that seems intended more for percussive sounds.