If you're considering A4 vs ST

Well, actually I think the Syntakt has a broad range of sound signature. Some sounds are really transient oriented (e.g. hats) but still you can go in many directions.
The Dual VCO alone is quite a crazy tool for sound design.
OK, ST doesn’t have all the A4 modulations, but it can still go pretty far on the synthesis side.

As it’s a synthesis focused drum synth, yes it’s aimed at people that want to have evolutive sounds, and program those LFOs ^^

1 Like

st win for quick music arr
a4 win for deeper sound design

since first came out,two of line had different target

big box for more deep function
digi box for fast and easy outcome

I’m working on it at this moment!! :panda:

1 Like

The Syntakt is mostly digital.

The DVCO is literally a 2 osc mono with extremely limited control. How is that a ‘crazy tool for sound design’?

What the hell?

4 Likes

You can combine them with Ring mode and FM, play on the balance, tune the osc precisely enough, use different amp envelopes shapes. You might not go Rev2 deep with this, but with the OSC part and the filters types + 2 LFOs that can go FM quick, you can get deep enough. Well, to me at least.

11 Likes

Gotcha. I’ve been a Rytm owner for many years and agree the DVCO is a lot of fun for gritty bass sounds and harsh leads. I think it’s a great engine to dial in some cool useable sounds with.

The A4 is just way more of a sound designers synth. Envelope types, dual filter, way more modulation, weird routing options, FM LFOs, unison and poly with different track sounds that can be interacting with eachother as you play due to neighbor oscs :exploding_head:

It’s a very different target audience. Less dawless jammer more sound explorer.

5 Likes

Im planning to get a ST and feed my A4mki through it… Going to be great I reckon

2 Likes

Analog Four is the most incredible and deep instrument from Elektron so far… and still is :slight_smile:

11 Likes

Feed the ST into the A4, you barbarian! Put it through four layers of dual p-locked filters and see how it likes that.

5 Likes

Yep. Get both. :slight_smile:

I have an A4 and LOVE it. My Syntakt is pre-ordered.

Trying the ST? If so, def let me know your experience with it.

Qper is awesome, I love assigning multiple macros to it at the same time, really fixes the 5-destination limitation

1 Like

When it’s available in the states I think I will.

Sometimes I wonder if I waste time with all these boxes and extra features I’m not ready for

Ableton + ST could replace practically everything

I would miss the M:C, but not the pads

A4 might stay, but 0-Coast might be a lot more fun

I really want just a small fixed rig

1 Like

I’ve got a mod system that I want to focus on.

This syntakt reveal has encouraged me to focus on using my A4 as a drum machine(or sample it into the DT)

1 Like

A4 is such a pain to use as a drum machine, but it can sound so good and is almost like a modular system. I made a great little 2-voice drum beat on one track just with the oscillators and noise. In the end though it felt like not a great use of my time to do such a thing with the apparent goal of squeezing complete songs out of A4 alone. I’m on the fence about the MD+A4 combo - after all MD can do some pretty great bass and FM lines on its own now. It’s these intricacies of choice that I’m not really that interested in but I find myself getting reeled into by the devices themselves and the surrounding culture. This is why I wished for something like ST. Just wasn’t expecting a Digi form factor, that is the thing that prevents it from having the features to make it a no-brainer.

2 Likes

I have an A4 MkI and have been thinking Syntakt would make a lovely companion. My A4’s current buddy is a Behringer Neutron as a 5th voice I sequence from the CV track and feed the outs to A4’s inputs. The Syntakt would cover a lot - would run the A4 out’s to its inputs (which I would then feed into my Heat), and would probably cause me to sell my Model:Cycles.

3 Likes

We should all spend more time using what we have rather than theorizing on changing that equation. Present company included.

19 Likes

ST does have 12 parts with 12 voices, a boost over AR. Also has a chord osc.

3 Likes