• No polyphony
  • No song mode
  • No transpose
  • No performance
  • No arp (so no C64-like stuff)
  • No kits
  • No pattern modes
  • Only one filter per analog voice

Even though A4 is not as instant gratification it has some things that ST will never have. Some of these matter more than others…

I’m going to be weighing the advantages and disadvantages… as the ST’s convenience is attractive.

I’ll probably update the list as I find more things…

15 Likes

Yeah, but I always wished that they would have smashed a RYTM into a Cycles… or something half full ish. Which makes ST a sort of strange synful dream come true.

5 Likes

Actually, that’s what they did, I didn’t mean to suggest it’s an A4+M:C

edit: oops misread ya

However I am still considering it as an alternative as I think the VA and Dual VCO can cover the same sonic territory

1 Like

These machines change with future up dates. Just find a time machine and go a few years into the future. You will have to remember the prime directive, or Hitler becomes president.
Or, you could buy the Syntakt and learn it backward and forwards. Overcome the limitations with practice and ingenuity.

2 Likes

Rumours of no chip-tune goodness largely exaggerated:

12 Likes

This is actually the best thing I’ve seen so far and I just spent about two hours watching Syntakt videos. Thanks, goodnight!

2 Likes

Does ST have slide trigs and direct pattern jump ?

Nope

A4 main advantage is the large number of modulations.

Separate outs is interesting as well. And CV control.

5 Likes

Feedback ‘osc’ ‘machine’
Individual outs
Expression CV control
Qper
Envelope modulation sources
Oscillator ‘inject’
AM
OscSync
Filter centric drive
CV track
Mute track
Etc etc etc :wink:

7 Likes

Yeah, for me, all these missing things are why the Digi series and maybe the ST feel like grooveboxes or instant gratification synths, whereas A4 or OT feel like real instruments, which is a huge difference. More complex and more enjoyable in the end.

5 Likes

I’m on the fence, on one hand A4 is powerful on the other it might be too much for me to wield properly

I was my most productive on Model:Cycles and now Machinedrum and I think it’s because of their flexibility

A4 is a beautiful but deadly temptress

5 Likes

But if you’re considering A4 vs ST, you might also consider the opposite: ST can retrig, do some AFX bus wonder, go nuts on the digital synthesis, from wavetables to FM, and the analog part is pretty wild.

In fact, I think it’d be wiser to play the both of them than to oppose them ^^

18 Likes

I’m probably going to end up trying it.

I’m really more interested in making self-contained projects, or two boxes at the max. More channels is better. Because I play keys and sing. So one device besides that is all I can manage. I’m not one to man a case of synths or mix and match except when adding extra touches in a DAW.

But A4 does a great 303.

1 Like

What is Qper?

2 Likes

A4 is way more experimental. You can do crazy stuff with neighbour oscillators. The Syntakt feels geared at someone who doesn’t want to do that much sound design. Their target audiences feel like polar opposites.

3 Likes

The dedicated quick performance potentiometer

3 Likes

Stop gassing and finish your set. We want to hear it :smiley:

6 Likes

…overthinking vs instant gratification…

1 Like

with a Retrkits RK002 smart midi cable you could have x8 note polyphony on the Syntakt digital parts if needed and x3 note with the analog Dual VCO’s too

2 Likes