If you could buy just one thing in 2022, what would it be?

OB6, but I‘m too afraid it won’t hold up to the magic it has in my imagination

6 Likes

Very cool! I’ve had zero problems with my Iridium, and it’s built like a tank. If it did break, I’d have it fixed immediately :slight_smile:

IMO if you add gear, and sell other gear to get it, it’s still a net zero!

2 Likes

I’d be pleased if I could get someone in to fix my piano. It is in dire need of attention. :confused:

3 Likes

:joy: i can’t wait for 2022 to buy tons of new stuff!!!

All I really want at the moment is an 0-coast and some solid time in the studio.

Yeah, the real ones are like relationships - you have to care for them or they’ll be out of tune eventually.

I’d love a real Yamaha. Can’t afford the trans aucustic ones, don’t have space for the silent ones. Currently checking in a Korg Air C1 in white ash. Fits budget and space.

2 Likes

A ride on SpaceX or Blue Origin.

1 Like

The one thing I would love to buy but can’t, because I’ve absolutely run out of space is a full-size Korg MS 20. If I could make my place expand by magic, that’s what I’d get. And to compensate for this, I will probably buy a whole load of gadgets. :man_facepalming: If I could only buy one gadget? That would be an OTO Boum.

4 Likes

I will do a nogearyear but if Barbara calls my name I will order MY cirklon!

5 Likes

If I could only buy one thing, I’d have to go with an engineering team, with a mix of deep analog audio and modern digital embedded systems talent, plus software folks from a few disciplines. There genuinely aren’t that many things on the market I’m interested in that make sense for me to buy, but I’ve got a stack of ideas for hardware that I’d love to see exist.

3 Likes

These guys are harder to grab and more expensive than a CS-80 these days. I also have an audio device I would like to develop but everyone’s hands are full of “real serious” work that it seems impossible to tempt someone competent on a project that’s so speculative.

Oh, absolutely. I have no illusions about the kind of development budgets I’d need to be looking at. I think the cheapest of the things I’ve got sketches sitting around for would take maybe €1.5m to bring to market, given some luck, and would need to sell a few thousand (possible but tough) to break even. Which is to say, not gonna happen.

1 Like

…well actually… €1.5M and sales of a few thousands both sound like doable targets, assuming the product/s are not super-niche. Not that I have the cash lying around, but it could be raised conceivably.

But the time and effort are gargantuan, and getting a team of techies to work for a boutique music-related start-up rather than a global tech-giant…that’s a really hard sell, even if you’ve got the money.

Maybe what I should buy in 2022 is the programming/engineering chops (oh, and the IQ) to do everything myself.

Oh, it’s possible. But I have my own actual company to run, and they are pretty niche ideas. And yeah, building good teams is hard, and no one builds a team for real for a single project.

2 Likes

A house. Because hell is other people as your neighbors.

Gear wise? The PolyBrute seems like it’d be right up my alley and I could probably make it fit in my studio…if my studio were in a HOUSE.

And if I could buy just one thing (back that I regret selling in 2021) in 2022, it would be the Iridium. That synth haunts me.

5 Likes

I really enjoyed living in an apartment in the city.

My apartment building also got sold for “nanohousing” for startups or a death cult, with communal kitchens and a “dog washing station” on each floor.

3 Likes

Owned a house. Neighbours still found ways to annoy. So did the house. I don’t miss it.

Have not owned an Iridium. Would probably prefer.

4 Likes

Ohhhh but it will hold up!!! :joy:

1 Like

A proper drum machine to free up tracks on the OT

Been looking for a fairly priced MD for a couple of weeks now… Giving it another week or so, if I can’t find then maybe get the AR or something

That and an apartment

2 Likes

Barbara said im April roughly. Hope you get yours soon too. Thats going to be a very expensive month with the Buchla music easel expected then too.

4 Likes