If the A4MKII sounded like the MKI

… would you still go for it?

I would. I love the way the MKII sounds, but the improved workflow is what’s really doing it for me.

If not a single tweak had been made to the sound engine, I’d say the A4MKII would still be a major keeper.

2 Likes

To be honest, I doubt it, mostly due to not really being able to afford it. If I had spare funds, however, the improved sound engine of the MkII would probably be something I’d go for - but without that, I would probably not do so, no.

3 Likes

I probably sold my first Analog Four because i was after “one synth to rule them all” which is AFAIC always a bad idea to think this way because there’s not really something on the market like this, otherwise it probably cost 2 arms and 2 legs … And I wouldn’t be able to play then, even more incapable to going to make a Live Performance with something like that. Anyway…

So i do know I’m not entered into it as much as the Analog Rytm or the Octatrack. I make the first mistake to avoid with Elektron which is to buy the dark trinity in one time.

And think I will be able to manage 3 boxes in a short amount of times. Naturally you stick with the one which is the fastest according to your skills and as my skills take its origins to the sampler ERA, i was more comfortable with AR/OT opposed the A4.

At some point, I go all the way back to sampler with another BAD IDEA, stick with the computer for Sound Synthesis (this part is not really weird in fact) and Prepare all Melodical stuff I like as many as possible Sampler Programs on the MPC Live. (If I say here that’s TIME CONSUMING a bit, anyone will smile or laugh at me as it’s way more than Time Consuming…)

Now I’m focusing on Melody, Layering and Resampling (I can use every type of sound synthesis depend what I’m after)
in the Context of a Song-Track-Idea

I learnt a lot of VST and Sound Synthesis Method I do think there’s not one best method, but there are complimentary and it’s best to see them and use them for what is faster to achieve some timbre when you have it in mind…

As I can’t get any type as hardware. I focus on a simple rule to get my LOWEND Strictly Analog (a bit of layering with sample in the AR though) and the other part of the SPECTRUM as Digital (with no rules at all)
i engineering the sounds on a computer and when I need to make a Live Performance, computer parts is food for the OT. I do not use the OT as a Audio HUB. And I mixing everything on my Behringer X18 (which is a very good compromise between price, weight, inputs-outputs, mixing tools and effects)

Coming back to the thread now :
Firstly I was disappointed by the LOWEND of the Analog Four. But with LOWEND101 I started to think : do i experimented with it sufficiently ? to be honest I’m not sure. But at this time, when I had the A4 MK1 I knew according to my taste what I can do with it… I also know that is a big bonus regarding sound synthesis is to shape a sound on a hardware synth not really that much for the sound in itself but I really have the feeling it’s like to construct a card castle with one arm opposed to shaping a monster with clay and two hands… you end up so fast with something you like.

But on the other side how to be futuristic with an analog synth today. When you have all this pieces of software you can layers and swim in a gigantic river of cosmic water :stuck_out_tongue:

So as I said I stick to my Analog Low end vision.
What’s sold me again the Analog Four MK2 is clearly the promises in the LOWEND evolution they gives us, Separated outputs for sure, Enhanced Workflow, Overbridge a big yes in my case ! And also fact I know it already and I try so much piece of gear and always came back to Elektron because it gives me at any time a way to get things done regarding what I have creatively in musician or scientist mind.

3 Likes

Short reply :
NO (not in my case)

it still a fantastic piece of gear ! (it just not fit my personal vision of personal SETUP and workflow)
:joy:

2 Likes

No

1 Like

Oh yes and I have to say that regarding music genre I’m more in Electro Detroit (Juan Atkins…), Deep House UK (Jimpster), House with Percussions (Kevin Yost…), Wild Pitch - Hardhouse Chicago (Dj Pierre, Cajmere-Green Velvet), Techno Detroit (Stacey Pullen, Carl Craig, Drexciya, … too much references here) and Hard Stuff maybe more uk… (like Ignition Technician…)

And it have an impact on my reply.

3 Likes

It’s a no from me. Unlike the OTMkII, the changes made to the A4’s UI didn’t really make much of a difference to me. Some of that is surely a subconscious reaction when I wasn’t particularly enamored when I plugged it in and got working on it.

Having said that, the Mk2 is a thing of beauty. It doesnt really come across in photos or videos as well as it does when it’s in your hands. I really like the form factor. If an OT2 ever comes then I wouldnt complain if it was in this form factor (with added bells and whistles of course!).

2 Likes

I had the same experience with the OTMKII. Didn’t make much of a difference to me. Though I kind of liked it before, whereas the A4MKI never made sense to me in terms of workflow.

No. I had the Mk1 and it left me flat in the sounds department. Sold it after a few weeks. Took a leap of faith getting the Mk2, but I’d heard so much good about the sound engine improvements. Not disappointed. Mk2 is a keeper for me.

2 Likes

It’s funny how we can be opposites when talking about machines that come from the same sort of UI paradigm.

My real achilles heel with the A4 was how little I got into p-locks on it. If you can get your mojo going on the Mk2 it will be a potent weapon!

That’s where I spend much of my time with it. I usually get six or seven tracks going within the four, due to the locks, paraphony and all. It’s a bit like the Evolver in that sense.

3 Likes

No not at all. Not a real fan of the sound of AK when I owned it.
Was a great keyboard controller though

1 Like

A4 mk1 is just fine for me soundwise and workflow so no need to get mk2.

4 Likes

So much taste and good arguments … it must be so difficult !!! if we put ourselves to the Elektron position one instant … it’s simply impossible to pleased everyone. Regarding skills, needs, workflow, personal workflow, personal taste… Standalone, hybrid with Overbridge… etc…

Damn !

2 Likes

Me too i like the sound of the Analog 4 MK1.
Im supposed to get my new MK2 tomorrow so im gonna be able to compare both.
I will probably keep both (need to think about that a little more) because the A4 dropped alot in price recently (so a big loss) and i could use the mk1 for percussions.
Anyway i will post my impression later this week.

5 Likes

Please do. I keep thinking of the A4 MKII even though I concluded the MKI wasn’t for me after 4 attempts at owning one.

1 Like

Without the sound improvements? I would have gotten it, but i would have return it also. But with the sound improvements…it´s a keeper. It replaced several synths, i owned. Karp, System 1m, and so forth.

3 Likes

no. i’t like a 500 dollar difference. that pays for a miniature or o-coast or big sky etc. the ot mk2 is the only one that makes sense for me.

1 Like

I got this Devo type 80’s bass sound on my MKII that I KONSTRUKTED that will knock your dick in the dirt it’s so good.

DEVO fan here :slight_smile: