If the A4MKII sounded like the MKI

Am I the only one thinking the mkI sounds fine ? :laughing:

Also, love the form factor. MKII is too big imho. Yes, my studio is very small.

1 Like

Had MK1 for 3 months. Moved it on.

Had MK2 for 3 months. Only selling it if the alternative is living on the streets.

ok first impression , im comparing both at the same time . Dont believe the hype :slight_smile: im sure if i do a blind test most people wont be able to ear the difference … Sure the dist is different (not sure if better) and maybe just a little more bass , but if you dont like the MK1 you wont like the MK2 … to my ear its a subtle difference .

Edit : was just a quick test for about an hour comparing preset patch. There is a difference but its not night and day. Ho and i like some patch better on the MK1 (more gritty maybe) though my unit need to be calibrated not sure.

4 Likes

Like the GUI alot more and the knobs are alot better.

1 Like

Hey, My dilemma… I’m waiting for the MK2 to arrive at the shop, but they have the AK which is what I fell in love with.
I have plenty of bass end already (Subsequent 37 + Minitaur in unison via midi if I need it), so I dont care if the MK2 is deeper than the AK/MK1.
In fact I’m after something with better high end.
I’m not that fussed over the AK screen or knobs/buttons; fine by me.
Also, I’m looking to use it mostly with 2 to 3 voice poly real time playing, and only 1~2 voice sequenced.

So, is there any functional advantage to the MK2 over the AK, any hidden improvements you’ve decided are a must have?

Nah. Not a must have. Especially not if you fell in love with the keyboard version. If you love that integrated workflow, then the MKII might struggle to compensate.

I personally like the box form factor more. First in that it comes out of the studio and i have one (or 2) on my couch and i lift it up on my knees and get to really know it and second because i don’t have to hunch over to see the screen. I did like the ak when i had it, great controller, but i really underused it. Not my boxes.

Bought a secondhand MK1. Everyone on here kept going on about how the new MK2 sound was revolutionary so I ordered a new MK2 to arrive this week.

After a few days and 10+ hours of comparing patches, I can safely say the differences are minimal. Overdrive is a little nicer. I don’t hear this supposed ‘deeper bass’.

My MK2 is going back. I’m happy with a £600 MK1 - half the price and a more compact form factor with very little difference in sound.

My theory is that home recording has simply improved all around. Look at the difference in production quality between a 2012 YouTube video and a 2017 one. No wonder the more modern one sounds better.

7 Likes

If this is so, then I’m prepared to trade my A4 MKII for an Analog Keys.

+1000
Difference is minimal, i have been comparing both side by side for almost a week.
IMO its not worth it but yes i am guilty , i feel like i’ve bought the latest Apple product because of the 5% Improvement.
To be honest i would return it but there is a 15% restocking fee at Moogaudio so im gonna keep it with my old Analog 4 (im loosing too much selling the old one)

Crazy deal on second hand A4 right now , just dont buy the MK2.
Sure the new screen is nice and i like the knob but thats bout it.

1 Like

@sovietpop @siegef4ce : I’m sure compare both factory library is not the way to know how the improvements is. Why ? (if I was elektron) I would tend to make the library as close to each other else.

Therefore comparing some patches builded from the ground up with same techniques should be more appropriate. have you done that guys ?

I’m not sayin you wrong at all :wink: I don’t have both to compare the way I would compare if I have both model in front of me (just sayin I would not compared factory sound and make a truth from that.)

I agree with @William_WiLD - a lot of the patches are sort of bland/vanilla. Especially on the Mk1. I thought it was a new set of presets on the Mk2 though - might be wrong there, no longer have either.

I thought I could hear a difference between the two. But, to chuck mud at myself, I didn’t think I could hear anything between A4 and AK unlike others! So, basically, don’t listen to me then haha!

Anyway as i intend to use my A4 MK2 in Live Performance and mixing externally on a Mixer, the Analog Outputs is for me essential. (of course it’s a little bit pricey for only that but…)

This model made me want to go further in terms of sound synthesis while my first disappointment on the low end (maybe not sufficient of this particular synth knowledge as well) with the MK1 may make me abandoned to investigate further (also I was looking for one hardware synth to make every sound i have in mind now i know i must think differently) … All my devices had arrived at warranty term, wishing to stay more than ever on elektron so the choice was quickly made.

it’s like renewing a wedding for 3 years, I like three-year contracts anyway hahaha (kidding here obviously)

Is there a big difference in sound between the AK and the A4 Mk II?

After the A4 MK1, i buy the AK… let me tell you here fast i didn’t use the AK that much i really like it because of the keyboard, individual outs, the joystick… But after gone few times to work on my live with everything + the AK, I don’t feel it… I’m seeing me taking the train with everything and I think I will not gonna make it easily. i return it…

i see the A4 MK2 quite a bit like the AK, focus on live Performance and the practical side of moving with the material … with everything i wanted from the AK are now on the desktop version.

I’m also reconciled regarding my reproaches on the bass, but maybe because I put a little more bitte to do and make a lot… and finding my way through that.

FIne, I won’t buy either then. I really want something that sounds different, but still has the Elektron sequencer. I will patiently wait for the new digital thingy.

1 Like

Thanks. Lots of good feedback. I had some previous hands on with the AK and liked the patches I had the owner make for me.
As far as patch building goes, its pretty detailed compared to what I’m used to with basic Moog workflow, so even if the MKII goes further than MK1/AK in that respect, the MKII might just give me a seizure anyway. (Having a Digitakt this past week has been an eye opener.)

Yeh, I’m going back to plan 1. The AK just suits my personal needs.
I see an analog keys in my very near future.

For the comparison i’ve build custom patch.
Some of the presets sounds quite different because of the new distortion and i think the filters are tuned differently.
There is definitely more bass depending of the filter setting. Sometime its good but sometime it sounds a little more boxy.
I like the distortion better for sure but like i said i think the difference are quite minimal and i dont think its night and day like some people said.
In the end i am happy with my purchase because i like the form factor better, the screen and the new knobs but i would not buy the MK2 for the sounds improvement alone.
I liked the MK1 very much so i am happy , but if you didnt like the MK1 there is a good chance you wont like the MK2, its the same synth engine really with some tweaks.

3 Likes

@acidhouseforall Nope your not alone, I really like the sound of the A4 it’s very Roland-ish. Most excellent for Techno, house even d&b.

2 Likes

Anyway, The MK1 is a really great synth and im happy to have both right now.
I like using the a4 in polymode so having both is great.
If you have the money i guess the MK2 is worth it for the new workflow which is much improved btw.
The A4 is not an instant gratification synth but with careful programming i like it as much as my OB6 !

Unfortunately the MK2 has some bugs right now but nothing major. Note that using sound lock on the MK2 is a pain in the *ss with the current OS. see this : A4MKII - Sound lock hiding note parameters

2 Likes