Icy desolation ambient EP featuring Modor NF-1m and Digitone

New EP, “Lineage of Ghosts”. A kind of ‘icy desolation ambient’ or slow motion heartbreak for those hot summer days…?

Summary of tracks as best I recall:

1. Obem AP - Main synth sounds are from Digitone and a BEAP synth from Max 7; drums by Machinedrum UW through Shmorphagene patch on Organelle. Some additional processing in Logic.
  2. Lineage Music (SPIRICOM) - First half of this is basically a special reduction processing of the second half; second half is Bastl Kastle and Pocket Operators PO-12 and PO-16 in a beat-heavy noisy jam.
  3. Portage and Lilac - Modor NF-1m and Pocket Operator PO-32. Modor sequenced by Korg SQ-1, additional musicality by programming some randomness in the modulation matrix of the Modor. I made this on the first day with the Modor and SQ-1 and came away very impressed with the NF-1’s capabilities.
  4. Iterlive R - Basically a combination of two shorter songs I recorded entirely on OP-1, some using the semi-hidden ‘Iter’ synth engine.
  5. Blanch Pass - Longer ambient piece. Main icy pads are the Modor NF-1m, with supporting sounds from Digitone and Korg Monologue (only analog gear to appear on this album).
  6. Lineage Music (Foamy) - A fun little noisy piece all in the Modor NF-1m, again pushing its modulation matrix around a bit to see what it could do. The third oscillator is the additive wave and it adds an eerie undertone to the whole thing. The additional sounds in left and right ears are from running this same Modor patch and external sequence through Organelle.
  7. Last Heart - Fugue-ish music on the Modor NF-1m and Digitone, with NF-1m running through Digitone for a little bit of overdrive and other effects (getting both of their delays to go wild at the end was fun).

I’m really happy to have added the Modor to the lineup. I recommend it for those looking for a modern digital poly synth with some character. It can remind me of old Yamaha tone generators and the MS-2000 and some of its own things besides. While it’s a simpler FM than the Digitone, it has more complex envelope generators (closer to DX7 style), and the FM on board is fantastic for basses and those bell-like tones.

4 Likes