Iconnectivity midi 4 in standalone mode?

the iconnectivity midi 4 is a solid box but it is poorly documented. does anyone know if it functions in standalone mode, i.e. w/o connection to a computer.

Iā€™m interested in finding out as well.

It is a beefy box. I got it a month ago I have been waiting for more then a year.

I use it stand a lone as a way to join multiple USB devices.

It is amazing! Highly recommend it.

It allows 64 devices on 16 channels.

If you like wireless midi off an iPad you can connect this to your router via Ethernet and it will sync too.

Iā€™m curious if anyone has connected it to a USB interface or mixer yet, instead of a computer. Iā€™d really like a way to utilize the audio passThru without being tethered to oneā€¦and who knows it will take for the iConnectAudio to be released.

I use my iconnectmidi2+ with my octatrack stand alone, though just utilizing the MIDI functionality. (Lemur on iPad). I send the iPad audio into the octa inputs.
Works great. So Iā€™m not using audio passthru in this instance.

@Accent. Itā€™s my understanding (tho we havenā€™t tried it) that the USB is class-compliant and thus possible to work with a mixer. Should pass two 16bit 44k channels in stereo. I will test with our A&H Zed this weekend.

ā€¦and I wish I had an iconnectmidi 4+

ā€¦and I wish I had an iconnectaudio 4+

@nakedbob-please do. If it works with the 2, Iā€™ll buy one ASAP. Iā€™ve got audio and midi working flawlessly, but canā€™t charge with my current setup and that keeps the iPad out at times.

Yes it works great standalone. It is heavy and built like a tank. Was very much just expecting a plastic box, but it is a high quality unit.

Configuring it looks daunting at first, but 10 mins reading the manual and using the GUI youā€™ll be fine. Can program 64 midi ports and channels, filters etc.

I use it for usb-midi keyboard in to OT, Vsynth and FS1R, while running FS1R editor on PC and synching Rtym & A4. It is very flexible and solves all sorts of problems.

Hooking up ipad/iphone synths to your daw is easy, midi and digital audio.
Youā€™ll need to fiddle with asio4all to get digital audio from your ios device into your daw AND send audio out to a second card (rather than it locks back to your ios device and you canā€™t hear it). This use of 2 audio cards is a bit flakey on windows in general anyway and will depend on the cards you are trying to use separately for in and out. I have it working with a focusrite 2i2.

You will need to give thought to midi loopbacks and what ports you choose/elektron midi settings ā€¦ which can be a bit of a headscratcher first time setting it up.

what did you do for midi settings?

[quote="ā€œdanlukasā€"]

what did you do for midi settings?[/quote]
havenā€™t got a final plan yet, but Iā€™ve the midi-usb keyboard going into USB host port 3, IC4 Midi 1 going to external synths and IC4 Midi 2 going to the electrons (in to OT, OT out to A4 in, A4 out to Rtym in, Rytm thru back to IC4)
OT receives notes and sends clock and notes, A4 ignores notes/receives notes depending on what Iā€™m doing, Rtym ignores notes.

So I just set up the channels on the machines and ext synths that I want to play something. Not the final plan, but thatā€™s where Iā€™ve gotten to. Works nicely so far.
This evening will also try Ipad in to the Ios host usb to see if I can use it as a touch panel.

Hey @Accent, the ā€˜Host Portā€™ on the iConnectMIDI4+ will only support class-compliant MIDI devices. The ā€˜Host Portā€™ does not support audio device at this time. With the ā€˜Host Portā€™, you can connect a USB powered hub and the hardware will support (up to) 8 class-compliant MIDI devices. Keep in mind that the device(s) is actually being ā€œhostedā€ by the hardware, therefore you will not actually see the hardware as a newly connected device in Windowsā€™ 'Device Manager" or Macs ā€˜System Informationā€™ menu. All the magic happens in the iConfig software, which is supported on OSX, iOS, and Winodws.

Will it work with audio+midi devices? Could I, for instance, plug an M-Audio Venom in and get the midi ports and have it ignore the audio ports? Or, does it only work if there is only midi and no audio?
I ask because Iā€™m assuming Overbridge will add audio ports to the midi ports on the Analog Four (etc). Will the iConnectMIDI4+ still work when that goes live?

You cannot connect a USB interface or mixer to the iCM4ā€¦ these are USB devices and so require a USB host port. The iCM4 has three USB device ports and one USB host port (USB Midi only)
I use the iCM4 standalone as followsā€¦
An iPad connected to a USB hub. To this hub is connected a USB class compliant Focusrite 18i20 for iPad audio, and the iCM4 is connected to this hub. The 18i20 can perform as a standalone mixer (setup routing via PC).
The iCM4 has connections to Virus (din), Nova (din) and MC808 (din)ā€¦ a SLII midi keyboard (USB host) and when needed, a USB midi connection to the computer .
its a nice boxā€¦

1 Like

I use it standalone all the time with blofeld via USB, works great.
One thing I would like to add is that the first time you use a new device, itā€™s best to hook it up to the iconnect and configure it via the computer first, write to hardware, then your ready to go.

Secondly, beware of units such as pad controllers, do your research before buying since these are less standardized than keyboards.

so will my arturia controller work via USB? MY plan is to connect my sub phatty, lauchpad original) arturia i want to change anyway so im not that phased with that)OT, A4ā€¦ And then IPAD3 - all going to my Metric Halo which is firewire at the moment (but is changing to a USB2 so it will then work)

Whatā€™s the Arturia controller model?.

its a 49 key ā€œthe Labratoryā€ - buggy Piece of shit. Im thinking about getting one of those little CME X25ā€™s - really low profile

provided it is USB midi class compliant then it will work

I have an x25 and the iconnectmidi4+ and an A4. They work well together and donā€™t dominate my desk. I have a bad back so the ergos must be good. Reaching over stuff is a big nono.

The x25 is nice. Itā€™s clacky in operation and playing low velocity is a challenge given the key down resistance, but I would buy again in a heartbeat. Small enough to move out of the way one handed when you donā€™t need it, just like an Apple external keyboard. The push pitch bend buttons are also more of an on and off than easily continuously variable but they do work. On the other hand the poly after touch does work well and is quite expressive. There is a time and a place for this style of controller and for the big weighted luxo key action monoliths. For noodling a bass or a lead it kills the A4ā€™s button keyboard hands down. Mission accomplished.

I do not think the original Launchpads work with the iCM4+ā€¦ The Launchpad S & Mini do workā€¦ the the original required driver to work with computer.
If you try it and it does work, that would be good to know.