I want to buy a DAW: Ableton or Logic?

You are most welcome. Good luck deciding, can’t go wrong with either.

1 Like

Mostly the way it’s laid out. Everything you need is ready to hand, and all FX and devices can be found and used easily.

Logic has some amazing instruments, but everything is hidden behind a menu. Live is just so much more immediate.

I say this as someone who used GarageBand for years, then Logic, before trying Live. Also, other people find the exact opposite is true.

But for Overbridge, Live is way easier. Just Google using Logic with Overbridge to see what a pain it is. It may have changed in the last couple of years, but last time I tried, it involved setting up a zillion send tracks, and routing everything through them. In Live, you just drop the Overbridge plugin on a track, and you’re done. You can then record to any track, just by selecting the plugin as a source.

4 Likes

Adding to the above, Ableton Live has become the most supported DAW from what I can see, so you can be sure that Overbridge updates are rigorously tested on that platform, with the others being more secondary considerations. Same thing goes for tutorials on dance music as someone else mentioned. It pains me to say it as a Bitwig convert (I left Live behind on v9), but Live is something lots of manufacturers look to support, even integrating ALS project exports and that kind of thing. Also, with Bitwig, there’s this annoying and confusing step of revealing hidden chains to get OB working.

2 Likes

DAWs don’t sound like anything. People like me who’ve actually worked at companies that develop audio software have been fighting this wholly inaccurate myth for years. The developers of more than one DAW have themselves publicly stated that their software doesn’t have a “sound”. It’s not helpful to perpetuate the myth.

Not trying to single you out, just not helpful to cloud people’s decisions with misinformation.

Carry on!

5 Likes

One thing I always say is consider the culture around the software. Ableton is a more grassroots company, Apple is a giant conglomerate. Logic is nice, but there’s less of a visible community based around it. For instance, Ableton run the Loop conference, regularly promote their users. Also, Ableton is tied up with Max and cycling 74 communities, which tend to lean heavily into ‘the arts’ as much as music scenes. Apple don’t really do any of this. An update maybe once every 3-5 years, and a huge community of users no doubt, but the software lives in more of a corporate vacuum imo. That might be nice I guess - but Logic certainly isn’t Apples main focus as a company, like it is for Ableton.

3 Likes

according to your use case description… Logic.

1 Like

Is it normal that the midi clock works awful with Overbridge and Logic?

I’ve been spending my day using the demo from Logic and it’s been impossible to record easily after setting the tracks.

Digitakt almost always starts a few beats after I hit record so i have then to manually align the audio. I tried to solve this using the Count In, but now the DT starts playing in the count and before Logic starts to record!

Also looking at the recordings i realised that while is playing there is some jitter, some if i place straight 16th hihats it drifts from time to time, not in a consistent way.

I was not having this problem using Ableton live lite earlier today.

Is it normal or am i doing something wrong? This has not been the warmer welcome i’ve had with a software…

have you looked into Reaper? cheap/free to use DAW that is more than enough to suit your needs. I think it is also quite light in terms of CPU use.

This thread just made me think of how I own Melodyne Studio and never mess with it anymore. It’s actually perfect to record hardware into. It has some interesting tempo manipulation. You can record into it without a click or set tempo then make a grid for editing around the tempo map it creates. Logic is supposed to be able to do the same but I can never get it to cooperate.

1 Like

I know I know, we’ve all discussed it enough over the last 20 years…

It must be Live’s god awful UI negatively affecting my audio cognition :grimacing:

2 Likes

I can’t argue with that, I keep coming back to try my copy of Live Intro because I think the built-in devices are great but the spreadsheet UI always scares me away. Definitely interesting how that stuff affects you, there are some plugins that sound amazing that I just don’t want to use because I can’t stand the GUI design.

3 Likes

Logic for your requirements

Why not Ableton

• The clock sucks
  • Not optimized resource wise
  • Getting hardware in sync with Ableton is a mess and a major pain(delay compensation is weird)
  • Change my mind but Logic exports sounds better
  • You can get most of your mac resources with Logic
  • The new spatial audio functionality looks sweet
  • Apple products are not the most original or cutting edge but they are reliable and refined

Why Ableton

• you already know it
  • everybody use it so you have more learning resources and wider comunity
  • you like some of the Ableton native plugins/utilities
  • MPE support looks nice
  • you like the UI

LE: Both Logic and Ableton have a 90 days trial. Record and mix the same track, see what suits you better.

PS: What I wrote is based on personal experience, I know it may be controversial for Live fans but I’m not in the mood to argue.

2 Likes

I recently started to try using a DAW for recording. In the past I kept trying GarageBand, and where some people here said it’s easy/fine, I hated it. I got lost in the menu structure nonstop and never got stuff happening.

Ableton Live I expected to be more difficult as a step up, but to me it was the opposite. I now Imagine Logic to be an awfully complex version of GarageBand, even though I’ve never tried it.

Point being, try them both/all out for a couple of days free trial each. For me Live very quickly was more intuitive - it could be another one for you.

2 Likes

Ableton Live because it’s made in Berlin :slight_smile:

1 Like

What?! I love how it looks. Consistent, plain, and not eye-killing white-on-black. It’s a classic.

Edit:

2 Likes

never worked out for me

You know it’s a funny thing with Live, it’s default mode is actually warped. I thought that was so funny there isn’t a setting to record unwarped tracks as a default. You always have to go and manually change that. I think it used to be a setting but it got taken away. So be careful with that - you can be outputting timestretched audio without realising in Ableton. For that reason Logic is nice if doing stems work, Pro Tools much the same - you don’t have to think about that stuff and all your recordings are clean. I liked Logic for 5.1 stuff back in the day

2 Likes

Yeah if you like your software to look like it was created on a 1992 486 running Windows 3!!! They need to sort it out! And so do Pro Tools.

Try Logic or Studio One. Both solid, reliable, professional DAWs that are great for the OP’s usage.

1 Like

You get a fresh 90 day trial with every 10.x update too. I had Logic on trial for most of a year as it moved from 10.4 through to 10.6! Finally bit the bullet with it as I could get the student package with Final Cut and stuff for £200.

Having said that, I’m still an Ableton guy. Mostly due to Push. I haven’t done music stuff in over 2 months but I know once I get an itch to scratch again that jumping in via Push just makes things more instantaneous and exciting.

2 Likes

Yeah to be fair Live has some great creative usages, especially with Max embedded, like someone mentioned above… but I just can’t look at it.