I want to buy a DAW: Ableton or Logic?

It’s not that I think Bitwig is bad, it’s my favorite DAW by far, it allowed me to start working in the way I tried working for ages so there’s that.

BUT, in terms of mixing as you would in a studio environment, it has some defects in terms of wokflow.

Little but significant things like:
it can’t move many faders at once from the mixer nor from the timeline (it can do it from a panel on the side but it’s a bit weird as a choice and doesn’t make things smoother for traditional mixing).

It does have customisable shortcuts, but not enough (basically not at all when it comes to mixing).
For instance, in DAWs like Logic you will find stuff like “create 2 automation points at each side of a clip”, also you’ll be able to just drag automation lines up and down just by clicking between two automation points (in bitwig you have to select the automation points to move them around).
Once again, small stuff, but huge time saver; stuff that makes importing/recording stems and mixing way smoother.

I think the reason for this is that Bitwig is extremely focused on sound design and all things modular (cross track ‘patching’ and all sorts of modulators applicable to any device that will make any software or hardware A LOT deeper. The grid is also amazing and I find it way more stable than M4L).

Among the couple things I just mentioned I’m only annoyed by the automation thing, I barely touch the faders anyway, I usually work on levels and panning from inside the track’s panel (where the devices are) so I can use the track’s fader as some sort of final VCA that I might automate at the very end.

If you don’t have any sort of plugins you’ll find better stuff in Logic out of the box, especially when it comes to dynamic processors (I like bitwig’s EQ. The compressor not so much).
Also, if you’re into that, Logic allows for binaural/dolby atmos and for working on video.
(hopefully bitwig will integrate at some point…)

Bitwig is hands down the best when it comes to working with external gear, making the most out of every piece of hardware and software you have and customising your signal flow (and all things modular but I said it 200 times already :smiley:).

1 Like

A vote for Logic for what you’re doing.

It’s always been the better multitrack/session recorder. It’s effects plugins are much higher quality than Ableton’s. It’s midi external clock if much tighter/better. It’s free upgrades for basically ever. And for ‘candy’, Alchemy is a bargain.

I own/use both, so no particular bias here, but Logic is definitely better value and better for what it sounds like you’ll use it for. I use it for all my Overbridge recording rather than Live for these reasons.

2 Likes

Bitwig’s modulators and overbridge are a great match btw, especially if you start sequencing from bitwig.
Bitwig sequencer can work like a deeper version of elektron’s sequencers (it has conditions and probability and you can also add them together) and the modulators allows for all sorts of modulations, from basic stuff like lfos and velocity to way more advanced stuff.
When you pair it with something like a digitakt it makes everything way more organic IMO.

2 Likes

wow thanks for the level of detail. Certainly things that i wouldn’t have noticed in a demo project hahaha

1 Like

yeah no problem, I got time today :smiley:

1 Like

Yeah the effect plugins are important for me. I just own a couple and use mainly free ones from Analog Obsessions as i think they sound really good, so having some good stock ones would be nice.

Seeing as you’re primarily going to be using your DAW for arranging and multitrack recording/mixing, have you considered Reaper? It’s a good deal cheaper than the two options you’ve proposed and is more than capable of the sort of work you’re looking to do. I don’t use it currently (Bitwig is my DAW of choice) but have considered it in the past. Others can probably speak to how well it works with Overbridge.

4 Likes

I hear that. FWIW, I’ve read that Logic’s ‘midi environment’ is very powerful, but I for the life of me have no idea how to make it work :weary: Live is for sure easier to ‘plug n play’.

You say that, but I’m still bitter that they announced the 11 update but told me my recent purchase was literally days too far past their cutoff to count for a free upgrade. So, more like ‘the very expensive purchase that keeps giving, until you have to pay for an upgrade that really ought to have been a point release’ :rage:

This is the way. And Bitwig too, for good measure.

1 Like

I tried to use it but i couldn’t get the mixing workflow. Also working with midi was a bit confusing.

That means that you have to pay every time there’s an update in Ableton? Does it work like that in Logic and Bitwig?

I have a full version of Ableton and I’m plannig to move to Logic.
Logic is much more complete, excellent included plugins.
It costs only $200.

1 Like

I have them all and I would recommend Logic.

1 Like

One additional thing to consider is the amount of tutorials out there. Very soon, you are going to need guidance if you want to go a bit further than simple recording (like mixing, mastering, adding elements and automation). Ableton is the winner there by far, especially for electronic house/techno related styles.

That said, you can do almost anything in most modern DAWS. It just that they approach things differently.

My impression is that logic is more often used by people that focus on aucoustic instruments and I also see way more Hip-Hop focused tutorials for Logic. But that could be an outdated perspective as I have mainly been using Ableton and Studio One for a while.

Speaking about the latter, that is also a solid option. Many people will hate me for this, but I think their monthly sphere subscription is a very good deal. Yearly even better (especially now with Black Friday), but I like monthly because there are also months that I don’t touch a DAW at all and I can simply pause my subscription.

3 Likes

For what you say you’re doing, GarageBand is probably more than enough. I still prefer it over Logic, but I prefer Ableton above all, as it’s so easy to use.

If you’re using Overbridge, it’s a lot easier in Ableton, too. Never tried it in GarageBand.

Logic all day long. Ableton looks and sounds like crap.

1 Like

Could you please go a bit into detail, how do you use the MPC with Logic?
I like the MPC very much for sketching out tracks and sound design. But when it comes to arranging the tracks, fills and automation, I find the MPC quite basic. Basic track muting is fine on the MPC, but laying out fine variations and changes over time is so much easier in a DAW.
I tried to stay DAW-less in the past, but I’ll probably check out Logic in the future.

Ableton charge for a new major version of Live - anything with a new number. Historically, it’s been a long time between versions (eg 8 and 9), but 11 was released fairly soon after 10, leading some to suspect they might try for a more regular release cycle and thus more regular payments. They charge an upgrade amount rather than making you pay the full amount again.

Bitwig has a sort-of subscription thing. You make an initial purchase, which lets you run the software indefinitely, and gives you a years worth of updates. When that year runs out you can keep using the software but won’t get further updates. You can choose to renew your subscription whenever you like - some people wait until there’s an update with features they want before bothering to update.

Logic, afaik, has never charged for an update since it became Logic Pro X years ago - it’s likely Apple are happy to bankroll it with their hardware income so they don’t feel the need to charge for updates.

1 Like

Thanks!

1 Like

Thanks! I tend to use a lot manuals or forums mainly for keyboard shortcuts, but i don’t use too much video tutorials as i feel is rather slow i comparison hahaha

Thanks for the info!

Why do you find Ableton easier to use?