I think Elektron sequencer are really great, but

I should find a demo one some time.

1 Like

@Octagonist I am 42, and extremely near-sighted (99th percentile baby!). Of course, my vision is corrected with lenses. At any rate, I found the Polyend Tracker’s screen to be quite luxurious and readable. And, as Fin25 mentioned, once you get the hang of using the buttons & pads, the user experience gets even smoother.

2 Likes

There’s def ways it could work easy. Elektron patterns are more like ‘scenes’ if comparing to Live. If each tracks sequence data is just a ‘clip’ - you could do something like hold ptn & up or down arrow to move between / add a new clip for each track.

Would love this feature

I wonder if elektron has any plans to respond to these ideas in the form of a next-gen Dynamic Performance Sampler, a modern revisit of the Octatrack concept but maybe with a more tracker-like approach to sequencing in general.

No you’re right - it really means working in single pages (16s). At least on the tracks you want to do this on. You could do 48s (3 pages) and leave the last one as a clipboard, but can only paste in replacement pages one at a time…

1 Like

I understand what you mean, and that would be useful. However, by going into Advanced mode of Scale, you can mess with an individual track’s length and tempo. It’s not exactly what you’re looking for, but it’s something.

1 Like

Another way - keeping 64 steps but sacrificing tracks:

Tracks 1-4 track volumes at zero. This is where you program your new variations

Tracks 5-6 trig on step 1 playing back a buffer which samples 64 steps of the track opposite. QREC set to PLEN so that it gets replaced with your new variation when you initiate internal recording

If you set up CUEs right you can even audition the new variations before ‘sending them over’ to the track opposite to be heard on master output

1 Like

Struggling to imagine how this would work in the current Elektron UI’s.

1 Like

Yes - combined with use of microtiming and retrigs and delays you can still use 16 steps to make many ‘32 step-sounding’ patterns that require 16ths. Compressing 64 steps down is gonna be harder…

If you work with bar-long sampled phrases this replacing patterns on the fly per track functionality is already kind of there on the OT - use plays free tracks and slots mode with the triggering quantised to 16 steps… or 32 or 64 etc.

A tip when doing that - empty slots work as instant mutes keeping fx tails too

A silent recording is also good to have in a slot as that will also mute a track preserving fx tails but quantised to mute at start of bar. Also gives you time to mute several tracks at once

3 Likes

Micromanagement stuff. Who wants loads of different patterns .

2 Likes

If anyone likes to see an example on why phrases are useful, checkout my video on how it’s implemented on the RM1X. Hopefully the RM1X will come out one day again with the same sequencer and a new sound engine in an OT format. Elektron, please do it :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

It would be great!

Hold track button and trigs correspond to track patterns maybe. Also maybe Pattern+track enters “Track pattern mode”.

2 Likes

Just to add (because I started playing with this setup when I got home) If this trig is microtimed one click forward it will playback the buffer contents on first pass rather than one bar later

MC505 pattern remix was pretty mental :upside_down_face:

Not a bad concept with the current UI. Though I feel like it would be difficult to keep track of without a larger grid type view ala the circuits with all tracks and their pattern state. Something else to think about is how the track + pattern would be displayed against the bank + pattern info in the display. I guess if you turned on “track pattern” mode, the display would read bank/track/pattern on a per track basis only.

Think Ableton Live Session View

Personally, given the already intricate architecture of the octatrack, I wouldn’t allow for bank navigation in the “Track pattern” menu. More like each normal Bank has its patterns and they can be navigated on a per track basis via this hypothetical menu.

1 Like