I own a DT. What should be my next elektron machine?

Hi! Here a two years old digitakt owner, very happy with this workflow and the elektron sequencer. My setup is DT being master, volca bass and a novation circuit. Although the novation circuit is not really convincing me in the sound department, and I was thinking to upgrade to something else. I would like to have more in depth things, that could be brought with the Octatrack, like live looping, and maybe time stretching (I don’t miss it because I have never had it but maybe is the thing that I didn’t know that I need?).
On the other hand, maybe what I need is a replacement for the Circuit + the possibility to apply FXs directly to the input, both doable with the Digitone.
So what do you people would recommend for me and my setup? DT+octatrack, makes sense? DT+DN as the perfect pair? Or maybe should I think more long term and decide to go to the direction Octatrack+DN and sell my DT? Overbridge is nice to have, but I am not using it as often as I could, and maybe I will never do.
Anyways, I am happy if you share your thoughts with me :slight_smile:

The OT is a superb mixer – meant to be combined with the DT+DN. So my choice would be: DN and then in a year or so the OT – don’t mix them up though when you’re beginning … it’s a different workflow/system that can confuse you. With your DT knowledge you will save a lot of time learning the DN.

3 Likes

Analogue Four. It sounds immense.

Then the Rytm. Then the Octatrack.

Then… it never ends.

9 Likes

yes

5 Likes

So you are recommending getting the DN for now… and the future will say if octatrack is the next step… yeah that sounds interesting, and I thinkg is the most convincing thing to do right now…

Wow, that sounds like the league I cannot afford right now… and not really sure if I want to go that way. I can totally conform with the mid-range products :slight_smile:

1 Like

If you love the DT enough to buy another Elektron the DN is a great choice. It fills a major gap (polyphony, synthesis) but will feel super familiar to a DT owner and it sounds soooo good. I also own an A4 but vote DN!

I went the route: DT, DN, OT to start with music production (as I said bad decision since OT is in another league such as the Analogs – which I own since a few month as well).

Remember this: Elektrons strategy is to leave out or exchange/change certain features so we buy them all eventually.

All boxes we are speaking of are capable to produce a fully blown track.

BUT: Digitone sounds so awesome and is a breath to use and complimentary to the DT (unlike the A4 …it’s lacking a lot of the awesome features of the DN …as well as a lot of voices (4 vs 8) and vice versa).

My advice: A4 maybe in 3 years :grinning:

2 Likes

thanks for your answers, I think I am going to go for a Digitone next. Sounds like the sensible thing to do.

7 Likes

Digitone is a sweet box. I enjoyed it more than the analog four. I think you’re doing the right thing.

1 Like

Digitone is in my opinion the most fun (I have OT, DT, and DN).

1 Like

you’re kinda in the middle like me, so maybe could i suggest a keystep, octatrack, and then add a DN/op-z/op-1/microfreak or something fun and sound-sourcey.

run the keystep into octa, then out to volca, DT, etc. you’ll sample and re-sample and be able to sequence notes and CC’s and every machine connected with octa.

life hack, but you can leave the DAW out of the midi chain except for clock/transport to a DAW, which then have tell keystep the tempo and VIOLA it will play arps from keystep without fucking with octa’s clock!

essentially, this is how i work. i don’t want DAW involved except grabbing songs or loops from hardware.

hi Jonsimon. I already have a keystep and definitely am going to use it in my setup. Just didn’t mention it here because it is “just” a controller :slight_smile:

I think that for the moment I would keep the DT as the master, sending midi to:
1.volca
2.sound-sourcey synth (for the moment novation circuit, hopefully in the future the DN) and
3.keystep (for the clock, which allows me to use the arp; I haven’t had any problems with it! :slight_smile: otherwise DT receiving midi notes from it).

Now I usually have everything sent to my xenyx mixer, but after getting a DN would like to use it as an FXs machine too, so I might be sending signal from mixer to there and then back or something like that. but that is another story.

1 Like

I love A4 mk1 as my second box, you really can find them cheap and I like how it offers up a bit more variety with its layered approach to the sequencer and the instant pattern changes. Helps things feel a bit less ridged imo. There is a bit more learning with the saving type stuff but it is not so bad.

1 Like

i went with DN and i’m very happy with it! dopest drums available rn imo!

Hello, Since I own both an Analog four and a Digitone I thought I would chime in.

The Analog four is a fun machine that sounds great, the 4 voice poly may be a bit limiting, but since you are going to pair it with i Digitakt I don’t think it’s going to be a problem.

I have owned my Digitone since February and even though I have had a lot of fun with it, my experience is not as good as with the A4 I am sad to say. My Digitone has displayed some unwanted behaviors and bugs. (even in the latest update 1.31) Such as the unit freezing, saved patterns that disappears, arpegiattor changing length by itself, overbridge disconnecting etc. I have been able to replicate some of the bugs I have found on other Digtiones, and read that others have machines that display the same type of behavior. Here is one of the latest treads here on elektronauts; Worse than heroin and a Mystifying Digitone crash

Because so many are recommending Digitone here it makes me think that maybe it’s my unit that is faulty. But Since I know other machines that display the same behavior it seems to be fairly common, so I wanted to make you aware of the problems that some have before making a decision.

Besides the bugs, Digitone is a fun machine that sounds good, but I would definitely choose the Analog four atleast until another bugfix uppdate.

Depending on what you want to do the Digitone goes with it like bread and butter. They are great fun and super versatile together, one of the best minimalistic setups you could get at the moment imo

I have all of the current Elektron units apart from the Models.

If I had just a Digitakt and wanted one unit to expand upon it, I would go for a good multi-timbal desktop synth, that would give the biggest bang for the buck as the next purchase IMO. You have the Elektron seq’ing already, so you don’t need that aspect of the Digitone… focus your money on the sounds over the seq.

I do really like the Digitone, that’s been my most recent purchase and the final piece in my Elektron collection… it was the final one because I didn’t think it would be for me, but I was wrong, I really like it, way more than I’d expected to. I think it’s my 2nd favourite Elektron device, Analog Rytm mk2 is first, Digitone 2nd (A4mk2 is 3rd, OT and DT tied 4th for me).
So I’d agree in adding the DN if it’s a specific Elektron unit you want.

Digitone Keys. I had both the DN and the Keys and the keys is worth the step up. If not the keys, then the DN. Coming from the DT you will find your way around it with ease and the combo is super deep

I recommend the DN then eventually the OT,
it covers everything DT for drums OT for samples DN for synth

4 Likes

Give your iPad a go. Perfect sidekick to DT (and vice versa)

2 Likes