I own a DT. What should be my next elektron machine?

Interesting.
But which synth would you have recommended if I’d go for the sound instead of the Elektron sequencer?
Also, sounds strange because I feel that what you recommend in the first part of your message is not what it seems you followed, according with the second part of your message?
Anyways, I also wanted to tell you, 'nauts, that I already purchased a used DN. I know. It didn’t take long for me to decide. But we’ll, I can see how it works and could always change my mind, sell it and buy something else later. Looking forward for my new gear to come. And thanks everybody for your insights :wink:

1 Like

Second part of my suggestion was based on you wanting an Elektron unit specifically.

In terms of the synth, I don’t have one that fits what I said because I had a GAS onslaught and bought a bunch of mono-timbal synths! But, the synth that seems to fit the bill is the Waldorf Blofeld.

However, if you’ve got yourself a DN already, don’t worry, it is fantastic and sounds superb. I’d definitely add a sound packs that you can get from the Elektron site, the Haunted Hearts pack from Jogging House has been my personal favourite and let me better understand the way the DN synth engines work.
I use that one and the 2 rtFM packs all the time.

It depends. What are your goals with your Setup?

I think you’re better off NOT getting an Elektron box, but instead getting something like the MC-101 for that Digitakt.

The MC-101 now has patter chaining, aka song mode, something that the DT needs but will never have. You will be able to control the DT using the MC, so you’ll be getting good results fast.

You’d be sacrificing 1 of the 4 tracks on the MC of course, but you’d still have 3 tracks of musical tones that can be used immediately. You won’t need to do lots of synthesizing to find the right sound - you’ll be making beats right away, and feeding them through the DT and recording them using Overbridge.

The MC is very useful - my favorite feature on it was its sequencer (obviously) and it’s quantize percentage. No more static beats!

Think about it!

That vicious?

Maybe a blofeld or some of the polyphonic roland boutique stuff?

Seems like the blofeld fills all the gaps you’re missing anyways. But seems you defo need some polyphony which is where elektron stuff seems to be lacking. Yes digitone have 8-note but it’s surprising how limitting that can be when you really want to stack some chords and have them ring out.

If you ask me, yes. Marketing department is always vicious. They only want to maximize profit :grinning: and music market is tiny compared to other markets. This here is called “Diversification” (leave a few features out, pull some in).

2 Likes

I have this setup with a Keystep. How would you route midi? Are you using OT as main clock?

I had the Blofeld playing along with the Digitakt and trading a JP8080 brought me a Circuit,a model samples and a Typhon.

Sold the Circuit and I think the M:S is the best Elektron thing I could have next to my DT.

Poly stuff covered from the Blofeld,mono sickness covered from the Typhon and hands on plus velocity stuff in the M:S really brings something else.

why do you need a MS when you have a DT?

i recommened no elektron gear in this case, because you got all you need: Sampler, Midi-Sequencer, proper Song Mode. Like @WallBrown, buy some synthesizers! Or one synth which is multitimbral.